Thread: New mandobird IV strings?

Default New mandobird IV strings?

I would love some elixir brand strings my buddy recommends. He is a guitar guy mainly.

It obviously needs ball ends, but most mando strings have loops.

Any recommendations? Not trying to convert to uke or anything. Just want some smoother strings and I'd like to try some different kinds as well.

thank you ahead of time! Im relatively new to stringed instruments being a brass guy most my life. thanks for dealing with my dumb questions.
    Last edited by apotheosis415; Mar-16-2010 at 10:06pm. Reason: clarification on my friends recommendation

Default Re: New mandobird IV strings?

Electric mando strings can be found at both Jazzmando and Emando (dot coms).

Jazzmando have flatwound strings availiable which may be more toward the "smooth" you are looking for...

Both sites are run by friendly folk who frequent the 'cafe here...

Your Epi, being single course of course means that you'll be doubling up on the value and milage on a set of strings
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

I like the Jazzmando flatwounds very much.

Thanks ya'll!

I guess im hoping to find a way to use the elixir coated strings. my current ones are tearing my fingers up. I cant even think of sliding on them yet.

The more I look it doesn't seem possible to do.

Do any of those strings you all mentioned have a similar coating or either of them easier on the ole fingers. thanks ya'll. Im building up some narly callouses but after 4 hours of practice my fingers start to burn. anyway. thanks for your help.

The Jazzmando flatwounds are uncoated, but are very smooth.

being flatwound the JM ball end set will be what you desire. bronze as a non magnetic metal will be invisible to the pickup,
    It will 'see' the steel core wire

you can cannibalize a flat wound electric guitar set too, just get the Gage of the strings similar to your mandolin.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

apotheosis415, it sounds like you may not have played enough to build the callouses on your fingertips. That will take several weeks, usually. In the mean time, 4 hours is pretty tough on soft fingers! Play it every day some, and pretty soon, you'll be doing your slides and not even thinking about flatwound and greased strings! We all go through it. Take your time. It will happen.

Ronnie

Mandroid-
    You got me a little confused.

Will the JM10-B not work with my magnetic pickups? I was just about to order some.

The originals came with .09 electric guitar strings. I had one for awhile and put .11's on it and it sounded great. Had to tweak a bit for the heavier strings, but worked fine. I just used XL115's on it by D'Addario. Find the brand you like and have some fun!
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The JM10Bs were made with the Mandobird in mind: Demo
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

Ted covered that OK, just will note Bronze is Copper + Tin there is no Iron in the winding if it's Bronze.
    OTOH Core , Music Wire, is Carbon Steel.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture