Thread: Feedback please

Default Feedback please

Hi Everybody. I am new to the board but I have been spying you for a while. This is a great site, full of very useful information.
    I started the mando in october last year and been practicing happily since. coming from the guitar, it took me some time to get used to the correct way of using the pick and, generally speaking, holding the mando. I am trying my best to be (and sound) relaxed, trying to avoid any tension while playing, and this is not an easy task...
    Anyway, i would really appreciate if you could listen to those 3 jigs and give me your feedback.. does that sound right to you? anything I should especially focus on, etc?? I've been learning all by myself so any advice would be really useful!
    Thank you guys.

Scatter the mud:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1247918/Scat...%20mud%202.mp3
    Union Quay:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1247918/union%20quay.mp3
    Rogha an mhaistir
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1247918/rogh...20mhaistir.mp3

Those jigs come from an album called "the Square Triangle", by a band called "The Four Star Trio"

Greetings from snowy Finland.

Default Re: Feedback please

I just got a mandolin a few days ago, so i don't know a lot. But I thought you sounded pretty good.

Jerome, have I got this right - you've only been playing since October '09? If so, your playing sounds quite advanced for somebody with only six months under his belt. It sounded generally fluid and cleanly picked. I personally struggle a bit with jigs, so I'm quite impressed with your samples.

Jerome -- I also switched from guitar to mando and have been at it about 9 months longer than you. Your playing sounds great. My comments are related to the biggest issue I've been fighting with coming from guitar: volume.

In particular, (i) your volume is a little uneven with the treble strings being quite restrained and (ii) overall it sounds like you may be playing at a low-ish volume (though hard to tell from a recording). Some slower practicing focusing on full, even volume production should help a bit. Playing at a low-ish volume isn't necessarily a problem, unless you want to play with others -- if that is a goal, you'll need to get comfortable really digging into the strings. Happy picking!

Very nice job on those jigs. Just curious, are you using DUD DUD picking for the jigs?
    Rob G.
    Vermont

very good .you seem to speed up from the beginning in scatter the mud.though i am not familiar with that tune.timing seems solid in the others

For how long you have been playing, you are doing very well! What I do is use a metronome and slow the tune down to the point where my hands are perfectly coordinated and I am getting fat, clean, loud notes with even strokes, then speed it up gradually--still with a metronome. Pay close attention to where you want to accent a note and exaggerate the accent at first and make certain that you are really playing with relaxed hands--jigs are like Zen-well kinda. I tend to tighten up when playing jigs and have to tell myself to relax. Again, you most definitely have talent on the mandolin and I enjoyed your clips!

Many thanks for your comments.
    NotJethro: Yes, this is correct. But many years of guitar in another life has certainly helped as far as getting the left hand sorted. Also, I am very familiar with Irish and breton music so I am in my comfort zone, at least as far as musical style is concerned.
    Draino: you are very right, I struggle with achieving even volume, I need to work on this.
    Rob: I am indeed trying to follow the DUD DUD pattern, I sincerely believe it makes a big difference when playing jigs...well, to my ears.
    Rico: yes my timing is quite hazy sometimes, I should work with a metronome more often.
    Cwtwang: I have been working within the last 2 days on my tone and did exactly what you are suggesting, i.e slowing down until I get a nice clean sound before speeding it up, and it has really made a difference.

Overall, it seems that I lack of consistency: volume not even, timing not exactly right, and tone not really good yet, so I'm gonna work on that now.

Thank you again for you help folks, much appreciated, it is very helpful to gather external opinions on how you sound. It makes the journey easier.

Quote Originally Posted by jerome View Post
    I am indeed trying to follow the DUD DUD pattern, I sincerely believe it makes a big difference when playing jigs...well, to my ears.
    I agree. I would say that a little more emphasis on the 1 and the 4 to get that real jig rhythm wouldn't hurt. But you are too hard on your self. Your playing is very good.
    Rob G.
    Vermont