Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I've got $1200 - what do you recommend?

Default Re: I've got $1200 - what do you recommend?

An Arches flattop could fill the bill (Mandolin Brothers has one and The Music Emporium has two -- yes, I've been eyeing them).

I don't know if the OP is still listening, but I've got a question. If you've been lucky enough to unload your pacrim POS on some sucker, and you've been clued in on all the quality mandos in your price range...................I don' need trouble, so I won't ask.
    Here's hope that you end up with a mandolin that you love.
    Mike Snyder

Let me get some popcorn 'cause this is gonna be fun to watch!

Let's keep it civil.

Rover RM-75 ≠ POS, IMHO.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Okay, I'm with you fellas tburcham's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Econo A from Ken Ratcliff will cure your MAS until you're ready to move into the $3-5k mando range...they are that good! Also the used Breedlove FF are a bargain when one comes available....they have great tone, good volume/bark and are also American made. On the import side The Loar is going to very difficult to beat (I'm referring to the LS 600 and LS 700 models).
    Tim Burcham
    Northfield Big Mon (Red Spruce/Red Maple)
    Gibson F-9 Custom
    1942 Strad-O-Lin
    1948-54 Gibson LG-3
    2011 Gibson J-45 True Vintage
    2017 Martin HD-28 VTS Custom Shop
    Bailey Mandolin Straps (NFI)
    Bell Arm-rests (NFI)

Thanks for all the input - this forum is great. I am not so educated in used instruments and not sure what to think. There is some good stuff in the classifeds. I have only bought one instrument sight unseen/unheard in my life. There is nothing available new or used in my area which stinks. I really need about 2.6 hours in a room with a dozen options to really get what I want, but that is not an option. Those Ratliff A's look interesting, what can you tell me about those?

There's a Ratliff Ra-5 on the first page that would be worth a look see.
    Wye Knot

Audey Ratliff: http://www.ratliffmandolins.com/ a couple in the classifieds

Ken Ratcliff(Silver Angel): http://www.ratliffmandolins.com/
    Laura Ratcliff was Kens partner and wife. 2 in the classifieds

Ratliffs and Ratcliffs have both received good reviews.

My apologies for a bad attitude. May your new mando bring you joy, Johnny.
    Mike Snyder

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Snyder View Post
    I don't know if the OP is still listening, but I've got a question. If you've been lucky enough to unload your pacrim POS on some sucker, and you've been clued in on all the quality mandos in your price range...................I don' need trouble, so I won't ask.
    Here's hope that you end up with a mandolin that you love.
    Interesting post. I am sure that you didn't intend to badmouth anything but the instrument and/or Saga Music, and that this was quite possibly stated in jest, but your post could be interpreted that the OP made a bad decision for having purchased this instrument in the first place, and that his selling it to a newbie could equate to an unethical act -- neither of which could be further from the truth. Your comments could also be read as an insult by anyone in the forums who own an RM-75, as well as perhaps owners of any mandolin made in Asia, which also were likely not your intent. The intent of this reply is not to flame you, but to point out that disparing comments in a public forum , even in fun, are likely to result in unintended collateral damage -- plus it's worth saying that not everyone can start out with, or even upgrade to, a handbuilt instrument (new or used), so there will always be a market for quality budget instruments such as those imported by Saga under the Rover and Kentucky labels.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Beckler View Post
    I believe I'd look for a lightly used Breedlove Quartz KF or KO depending on your interest in music....the KF for Bluegrass and the KO for Celtic.
    I have a KF and it plays like butter...I prefer it to my 1916 Gibson A.
    Sandy
    Second on the used Quartz KF. I play my KF more than my F12 or A5G - just an easy playing mando with that 1-3/16 nut and radiused board. I think I paid around $1000 + s/h at the Mando Store in 2008.

Does anyone aside from me think that the video archive on folkofthewood is valuable to show the spectrum of available tones from several major builders? I used it and as a result have a Breedlove KO that I absolutely love. But I'm still looking around to understand what mandolin tone really is. Someone must be hosting a picking party or mando-tasting in his S.C. low country area sometime, so keep an eye out on the forum for such announcements, "Regional Jams..." in the Miscellaneous area.
    You live and you learn (if you're awake)
    ... but some folks get by just making stuff up.

Michael T.

There seem to be some vintage Gibson A's available around $1400. I'm a bit nervous to buy a vintage instrument sight unseen for fear of it needing some work or refret etc. Still thinking about the Ratliff RA5. Anybody have, seen or played one?

I'm not certain it would be relevant for you, given that everyone's skill level and improvement curves are different. However, I'll mention that it -is- possible to get too much mandolin. I have too much mandolin, as an example. This will vary wildly by the person, but one of the pleasures in getting better at an instrument is the upgrade to a better sounding one as your ear and your skill level improve. If you go whole hog on the instrument up front, you will have a great instrument to learn with, and it won't "hold you back," but you won't experience so many of those step changes at upgrade time which are great feedback that you have reached milestones of improvement.

Now I want to say that I'm happy with my "too much" and wouldn't want to give it back. But some would miss the markers and have their motivation and resolve more easily blunted by, for instance, unkind words from significant others about, "Just when is this Getting Better Stuff going to happen?" It is not something I thought about at the starting block, but as I sit here tonight struggling with some standard notation w/o tab as a fallback, I'm feeling a bit blunted and recognize that positive markers are an important thing in the human experience. Just one more thing to consider....

I'd still agree with getting the best accessible instrument, of course. I don't really have "upgrades" planned for the remainder of the decade, although "exploration" is always possible.
    You live and you learn (if you're awake)
    ... but some folks get by just making stuff up.

Michael T.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rico View Post
    Still thinking about the Ratliff RA5. Anybody have, seen or played one?
    I´m absolutely satisfied with my Ratliff RA-5. Lots of additional opinions when inserting "Ratliff RA-5" into the search box right above.

Used Kentucky KM1000 just went up in the classifieds here the other day for $1000 - wasn't that one of the models your original post mentioned an interest in?

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Yes he mentioned wanting a KM1000 but at $1300 a little over budget so since that used one posted yesterday for $1000 and I heard the video clip of it I would run to get that one and then spend the extra $200 on <moderator removed content that does not comply with posting guidelines>.
    Last edited by mando.player; Mar-25-2010 at 6:18am.

an A50?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

A Collings MT just went up in the classifieds for $1500 - if there was a way to rustle up the extra $300 that would be an awesome mandolin that you'd get lots of mileage out of! NFI on my part.

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Hello,
    You don't know me, but I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to put me out of my misery. I DON'T have $1200 to spend and on the last page of the classifieds is an ARROW A going for just that amount. (No $$ interest) It is driving me crazy and I can't stop looking at it (all day long @ work). Please buy it so I can grieve and then get on with my life? I am certain you won't be sorry (1 1/4" nut!), and much more experienced persons than myself will probablly tell you that it will keep it's value when you are ready to trade. Fare well, h
    Last edited by hdismal; Mar-25-2010 at 11:14am. Reason: spelling error

There good stuff in the classifieds. Bulldog 2 pointer, Kentucky 1000..etc

I see the OP is in South Carolina. If I where in your shoes, this is what I would do.

Spend a few weeks researching a LARGE variety of options online. You will eventually get an idea what is in your price range (and what a fair price is). Armed with this knowledge, keep an eye out on Craigslist for potential matches. You mentioned you may like to play the instrument first. I couldn't agree with you more in doing this.

I'd keep looking until I found something that spoke to me. I'd assume mando's come up for sale a fair amount in your area. When you find your next purchase, you will have the satisfaction of "the hunt" as well as dramatically increased your knowledge of mandolins in general. Don't be in a huge rush.

Without really knowing a builder (and having played/heard their instruments) - you'll be taking a shot in the dark. Just becouse a builder is highly recommended doesn't mean you'll love the instrument. There are 2 seperate (but both important) issues to remember here. The resell value on the instrument (as you will likely want to upgrade) and how it sounds/plays. IMO - the latter is more important and underscores the importance of playing before buying.

Best of luck!
    Pen

"How many of you folks have seen that movie "O Brother, Where Ya At?"--Ralph Stanley

Turkey Creek #17
    1958 Gibson A-40
    Ovation MM-68
    2002 Martin D-28

I played a Ratliff today. Played great and sounded great, I really liked it. It had a sloppy fret at the 15th which was just above the binding at the neck joint and a small, shallow crack (maybe scratch) against the grain up at the 20 and 21st making it me think it had neck work done??

see[online] Guitar Center Nashville has a Gibby A50 for $1395.. http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedGea...ch&category=50#102795788

NFI
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture