Thread: Gibson F5G 1992

Default Gibson F5G 1992

I am new here and i was wondering if anybody knows anything a F5G Gibson 1992 signed by Steve Carlson. I am looking at buying this mandolin. The mandolin sounds great has some wear but no cracks. Any information anybody knows about these mandolin would be greatly appreciated. Like would this be the same as Flatiron of the same year one just says Gibson and the other Flatiron. Also anybody have any idea what the price range on these are. Thanks Gary Auten

Default Re: Gibson F5G 1992

I've yet to meet a Carlson-signed mandolin that I didn't like
    No...YOU stand back.

thank you birdman this is the first one i ever played so thanks for the help

I agree with Birdman98. I've really liked every Carlson signed mandolin I've played and once owned a '94 Carlson signed Gibson F-5L with a gorgeous all blond finish. Wow!!! what a mandolin. I would say that the F-5G you're considering is the equivalent of the Flatiron Festival F-5's of that time but would be priced a bit higher to maintain a bit of cache association with the Gibson name. I would guess a good price would be between $2.8K and $3.4K depending on condition. If you like it, negotiate your best price then play the heck out of it for a few years.

Good luck,
    Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

hey thanks len your are right in there with seller so thanks
    gary

Let us know if you buy it Gary and do post some pictures.

Good luck,
    Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

thanks Len....this mandolin has some finish issue but nothing major. it has rough spot on the top where your finger rest on it so this mandolin has been played the spot is not rubbed through yet. so i can't make up my mind also i think it might be priced a little high i think it priced around 3500 which is high i think

Anything over 3G is love. Some of them sound great.
    Mike Snyder

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Snyder View Post
    Anything over 3G is love. Some of them sound great.

$3.5k does sound a bit too high if there's a finish issue. Negotiate it down to $3k or $3.2k.

I had a '96 Weber signed F-5G that was a knockout. Great sounding mandolin. Butch Baldassari used it in a concert he played with the Providence Mandolin Orchestra some years ago. He had it in "Get Up John" tuning and I got to sit in the front row to listen. OMG that man could coax the tone out of it. He was very pleased with the results.

If this F-5G speaks to you, you should do whatever it takes to own it.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

A Montana 92 F5-G would have a Mortise and Tenon neck joint that is secured by a tiny bolt during the gluing operation. Nashville Gibsons have a traditional Dove Tail neck joints. This F5-G will also be tone bar braced. Many of the Montana Flatirons were X braced. It will also have an elevated fretboard as opposed to the integrated fretboards found on the Montana Flatiron Festivals and Performers. Montana F5-G's have different graduations than their Nashville cousins. The Nashville Gibson's are graduated to Loar specifications. The Montana and Nashville Gibsons are structurally different - not good or bad, just different.

Most any Mandolin signed by Steve Carlson is going to sound great. $3,500 is on the high side IMO.

hey thanks pickin.....hey thanks all, been very helpful now i got to wait for the dealer to get it cleaned up and ready for sale, or should i call and make offer before he puts time in it. this is a sweet f5g. great work mandolincafe..
    gary

I was wondering if you bought the 92 G. I've had mine for 14 years and love it. They just get better with age. The only thing I've done is added a Tone-Guard, Randy Wood low profile vintage bridge and Thomastik Precision strings 154ST. I hope you bought and enjoy yours as much as I have mine!

As far as them being the same as a Flatiron....
    I bought my '91 Flatiron (Weber) new at Baltimore Bluegrass. It was in a showcase next to the Gibson F5G also signed by Weber. I could not find any difference.
    Great mandolins. $3.5 is a little high if it has finish issues, but it depends on how serious those issues are.....just a fingernail scratch or a crack?

Bob
    re simmers

Blog Entries

I Just picked a Carlson built 1992 Gibson F5G Custom for 2k two days ago ....The only thing that is in disarray is the Case which is being repaired as we speak , the Mando itself is in near mint condition , and their is no Fretwear to speak of ....I really love the Woody Tone and easy play of this instrument . Can anyone tell me more about this specific mando ?
    Did I get the good price ?
    Last edited by JCline; Aug-30-2010 at 4:16pm. Reason: Picture didn't come out

At 2k, if the mandolin is in good condition I'd say you've got a good buy. . . . even if the case is trash at doesn't really matter (you can always get a good case a $100....).
    Greg Henkle

2002 Prucha F5
    1962 Martin D18
    1965 Fender Telecaster

Blog Entries

Thanks Greg ,
    actually the Mando is in near mint condition , just two small nicks on the back of the neck which are actually meaningless , The black naugahyde like material on the Case is just a bit dog eared around the corners and edges on the top and bottom , but it's all totally fixable , In fact I saw it today and it looks great , only thing left is the Gold Logo lettering on it which has to be touched up , and it's gonna cost me about 20 bucks to have it fixed which is going to work out fine towards keeping everything original .

I figured out how to post a picture here today , so have a look at my mando ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1992GibsonF5G..jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	62132  

$2K is an excellent buy. Nice mandolin.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

Quote Originally Posted by JCline View Post
    I Just picked a Carlson built 1992 Gibson F5G Custom for 2k two days ago ....The only thing that is in disarray is the Case which is being repaired as we speak , the Mando itself is in near mint condition , and their is no Fretwear to speak of ....I really love the Woody Tone and easy play of this instrument . Can anyone tell me more about this specific mando ?
    Did I get the good price ?
    WOW!!! Great mandolin may i ask where did you get it. Thanks gary

MATTT!!!! I put a new bridge on mine too. It kicks but now. And by the way for everyone else, I have a 1996 Bruce Weber Gibson F5G

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Auten View Post
    WOW!!! Great mandolin may i ask where did you get it. Thanks gary
    You certainly may , here is an exerpt from the record concerning this Mandolin
    Quoting Ownership document :................................
    The Above Custom F5G Mandolin # 2484109 was ordered from Gibson at it’s Nashville Tenn. store in 1992 by Mr. Rob Nijman a Dutch Folk Bluegrass singer and Banjo player , with the help of a famous female country Artist (Unknown) this Gibson F5G was shipped to Holland after being fabricated by Mr. Steve Carlson in Gibson’s Bozeman Mt. Factory

During the month of August I was looking for a deal on a my third generation Mandolin on the internet until I happened upon this Mandolin being offered via Marktplaats.nl in an advertisement. Upon close inspection noticing only very minor scratches around the Up side Top binding , and a small finish blemish on the back of the neck by the block that was caused by age, and also a small impression (dent) near the Nut area on the back neck that was caused by the imprudent application of a Capo .

theres much more detailed incidental information concerning the revisements and general condition of the mandolin 'within the compiled record document but this section is the crux of it's origins

It's now my Main Mando for Life. Liberty, and the pursuit of Bluegrass ....