Thread: Michael Kelly Octave?

Default Michael Kelly Octave?

Any opinions on the MK Octave? I have a chance to buy one but sight unseen (as with so many of these hard-to-find instruments).

All views appreciated.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Michael Kelly Octave?

Welcome to the Mandolin Café.
    The MK OMs are less well reviewed than the Trinity College OM. I have a TC OM and like it and feel it has a great voice for a started OM. Are you set to have a carved F style OM or do you just want to get into the OM? For the record, I've never touched or seen a KM OM in person so I can't comment good or bad on them.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Thanks for the reply. I am not absolutely stuck on F style but do like the look. You're right: there are so many more OMs in A style...F style leaves few choices.

If you want a quality F-style octave mandolin, Weber builds a full line, but you may need to get out your Visa; the Gallatin model, their lowest-priced, lists for $3.2K. Here's a look at it.

Michael Kellys get pretty mixed reviews. This recent thread has posts from owners and players describing the MK OM as "weak and one-dimensional" and "filled with mud" (referring to sound, not hygiene). MK's of all sizes almost always look good, but there seems to be some dissatisfaction with the sound.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Thanks again. The few available reviews of the MK are unanimous.

There is one YouTube video that does not impress, even taking into account the apparent early learning stage of the playing.

Alright. I am dissuaded. Well done.

I don't have one but I liked the MK OM I've played, they're not professional quality by any means but if all you want is a new toy to play with, than i dont think it would be a bad purchase

You might try a Tamburlin octave mandola from Troubadour UK, delivered to the US for about $230, shipping included. I bought one of their tenor mandolas a few years ago and it arrived quickly in a cardboard box with a sheet of bubble wrap around it and nearly in tune. I think they are made in Romania by Hora, a huge instrument producer of lower end instrumemnts. At that price you can leave it in the office, take it to the beach, use to heat the house, etc.

"There is one YouTube video that does not impress, even taking into account the apparent early learning stage of the playing."

Well you may well be describing one of my vids, but if not feel free to check out my youtube at http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f
    There are 2 MK octave plus vids I did since back when I was considering this purchase I could find none. So if it helps with your purchase decision; that's why I posted it. Also compare the sound to my new OM handbuilt built by Tom Jessen. It's easy to tell which one is my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    "There is one YouTube video that does not impress, even taking into account the apparent early learning stage of the playing."

Well you may well be describing one of my vids, but if not feel free to check out my youtube at http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f
    There are 2 MK octave plus vids I did since back when I was considering this purchase I could find none. So if it helps with your purchase decision; that's why I posted it. Also compare the sound to my new OM handbuilt built by Tom Jessen. It's easy to tell which one is my favorite.
    Nice videos... but a pity about the sound recording quality.. even so you can certainly tell the difference between the two instruments!

Thanks for the links, John.

Quote Originally Posted by John Mortensen View Post
    Any opinions on the MK Octave? I have a chance to buy one but sight unseen (as with so many of these hard-to-find instruments).

All views appreciated.
    I've tried the MK, CT and Trilium. The Trillium sounded best and cost the most. MK and CT were about the same with the CT being about 40% less money. So, I got a used CT. been playing it a little more than a year and find the G and E a bit floopy but still a good value. Enjoy the hunt.

What's a CT?
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
    What's a CT?
    Ooops, TC (Trinity College). Hotta keep it clean here