Thread: Grover or Schaller Strap Locks Noisy?

Default Grover or Schaller Strap Locks Noisy?

I'm going to over the head strap and am wanting to be able to attach/detach my strap easily. I've seen a video of the Dunlop straplocks coming undone and won't consider them at all. I also saw a comment in another thread here about the Schallers being noisy. So, are the Grovers the same as the Schallers or are they different and quieter. Too many choices out there these days! What are your experiences or suggestions? I don't like the other Dunlop one that works with an ordinary endpin cause it just would get lost.
    Thanks in advance!
    Good Pickin', Steve

Destroyer of Mandolins

Default Re: Grover or Schaller Strap Locks Noisy?

Steve,

I use my strap over-the-head and also sling the mandolin behind my back when playing flute and whistle. A real recipe for disaster without a dependable strap lock.

The best I've found were ones that I can sadly not find anymore, so if anyone recognises the description, please say so:

Mine is a solid piece of plastic with a chevron shape that replaces the end pin. You can't easily remove the strap once its on. While that might sound burdensome (and for many I suppose it would be), it's the most dependable thing I've found. The strap simply can't come off until you unscrew the strap button. But you have to be able to case your instrument with the strap on it.

I've thought of using a thick washer about 1/2" diameter in place of the end pin to 'bolt' the strap onto the instrument. The only strap lock I've ever found that won't fail is one that can't come off.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

I guess you screw the peg right through the solid leather part of the strap if thats possible with the type of strap you like. otherwise i guess you could call lots of music stores and see if any one has what you need kicking around. try the smaller privately own stores they often have old stock. I will look next time i go to town see what my friend has and let you know what i have found if there is anything good.

Phylum Octochordata Mike Bromley's Avatar
    Canucklehead from Cowgary, Oilberta. Spend half my time in Iraq. A wacky life.

Schallers ARE noisy, but only when slack. Once you 'load' the strap-lock while playing, the rattle disappears. But the lock does clack and clank when you move the mando or strap. I have one on my Ugly Years F5, and it's just fine.

...and, your mando is secure!

....oops, also: No more tapered end pin. In order to mount the Schaller, you need to do away with the old end pin. I did that by gluing it in and sawing it flush; something that many might find harmful to mando-mojo. Personally, mojo is worthless as splinters.
    Last edited by Mike Bromley; Feb-24-2010 at 12:00pm. Reason: Had to add important point.....
    Root'n Toot'n World trav'ln Rock sniff'n Microscope twiddl'n Mando Mercenary
    Tuxedo Mines
    Triggs Mandolins
    Youtube Stuff

The metal to metal connection on Schallers could be an issue to some .. there's a button you pull out, fitted on the strap, [which the strap end cannot be too thick]..
    to spring back into the hole in the in the end of the screw in button .. U shaped piece supports the weight too..

there have been several threads on tying the strap on, securely, by for example, looping around the tailpiece. with another lace and tying a knot after passing the 2 lace pieces thru a hole just big enough for the lace loop.

and as I see in the little picture , you play an F style , so I have to assume that's what you are inquiring about ... removing the strap over the scroll when you put it back on is going to be secure once it's back on.

If you have a tapered end pin , you will have to replace that and fill in the tapered hole in the end block, with something .. to fit a screw fixed button.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I forgot to mention that my Gibson was once drilled for an endpin jack that has since been removed. I installed a, for the lack of the correct name, "thing" that resembles an endpin that has an expanding rubber cylinder that fits in the hole. It absolutely won't come out. I figured with the schaller strap lock, I could just replace the wood screw with a machine screw of the same size that fits the rubber cylinder thingy and be, "Good to Go". Probably my biggest concern is the dependability of the schaller not coming loose. I don't do any recording, so a little noise I could maybe live with.
    Thanks for the info so far!
    Good Pickin', Steve

I have a rubber plug in the end of my Bicycle's handlebar ends made by the Velox folks in France.
    It's essentially a rubber plug with a machine screw running thru it , a washer on either end, and a nut that won't turn freely on the inside . so when I tighten the screw, the nut doesn't turn,
    and shortens the distance between the 2 flat washers , and the rubber piece expands.
    don't overdo it or you could split the end block.

You have to pull out the catch to release the pin , then you can pull the strap off , should be OK..
    need a flat head machine screw.. to leave clearance for the retaining pin to close into.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Destroyer of Mandolins

Do they make the kind with the streamers that hang out? I like those. And the little bell you work with your thumb. And bubblegum cards on the spokes. Those were cool too.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Hmm.. a strap lock with streamers , I think you're onto something there, Tim
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture