Thread: Questions for Jazz Mandolin Players

Default Questions for Jazz Mandolin Players

Hope this isn't either in the wrong category, or a tired subject, but here goes:

If you are playing jazz on the mandolin, what kind of mando are you playing it on -- solid body or acoustic, and which brand and model?

Do you have a pickup brand/model you like the sound of, and how is it attached/installed?

If you play amplified, what is your pre-amp/amp combo?

Most important of all: have you tried any particular mandos for jazz (that may or may not be marketed as 'jazz mandos') that DIDN'T make the grade for you?

My main mando is a Collings MT, and I really love it, but I'm starting to try to learn a swing tune, and I've realized that a slightly wider neck and a little bit silkier tone might make a pleasing difference.

Would love to hear your experiences with this. Thanks.

Default Re: Questions for Jazz Mandolin Players

I play jazz on an acoustic Holst 2 point with F holes. I like the pure acoustic sound. I say try different strings like the JM11's from Jazzmando.com or others to see if you can find the tone you are looking for. I wouldn't give up on the mandolin you have so quick, unless you want to go oval hole, electric or......
    As far as the wider neck goes, I did find that once I got the Holst which has a wider neck, that it was some easier to play chords, but I don't think it made a big enough difference that I would change mandolins just for that reason. Tone is a good reason, but tone comes from your technique as well so just changing the mando may not do the trick. Good tips on tone at Jazzmando.com as well. There is also a section that has reviews of different mandolins there too.
    Good luck and welcome to the Cafe!
    Last edited by swinginmandolins; Feb-19-2010 at 11:57am. Reason: added more comments

I have no problems with my Collings MT

Just today, was playing Hot House on the same mando I pick Soldier's Joy on

+1 on trying different strings, picks, techniques, etc. I play a Jade JF18 (basically an F5 style) with Jazzmando JM11 flatwound strings. I use this setup to play jazz, blues, bluegrass, whatever, really. The biggest change I make is using different picks and techniques.

Jazz, for instance, I use a D'Andrea Proplec 1.5mm pick (came free w/ the JM11 strings!) and play with a softer attack, space between the chords, a little ebb and flow in the melody lines.

For harder stuff like bluegrass, I use a Dunlop Big Stubby 3mm and really attack the strings, a lot more syncopation and hard driving eighth note leads. Just my experience, but I think the actual type of mando being played is one of the lesser variables in the equation.
    Mitch Russell

Also, I haven't had much luck with amplification, having only tried some cheap stick-on transducers, but what I did try sounded best running through my Fender Super 60 guitar amp. Once again, just my experience.
    Mitch Russell

Nothing wrong with learning a new style of music on the very nice instrument you already own.

It's all the same notes after all ..

I have an alternate instrument, also, .. a 4 string , tuned lower to the Viola- Mandola set of pitches CGDA.

{on the short mandolin scale an .050" for me works to tune to C}

which I really like the voice of .. have a Magnetic pickup on it .. one .. a modified 8 string A ..

playing things in what would be key of F on the mandolin ,

are Bb on the mandola , which is handy ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I use my Gilchrist F5 for bluegrass and fiddle tunes and my Gibson A2 for Jazz.

I think what style of "Jazz" you play might determine which instrument sound you may want.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

I'm playing a Kentucky KM505 with a custom piezo pickup into a Fender Acoustisonic Jr. amp. It's nice taking a mandolin to gigs that you're not too worried about, and is hardly worth stealing. I think that you can use whatever sounds good to your ears; Oval hole, F hole, flat top, etc. Andy Statman's switch from a 1924 Gibson oval hole to a recent Kimble F style hasn't had much effect on his jazz playing.
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

Either my MT-2 (ff-holes) or A2z (round-hole) works well for swing/jazz/blues... I tend to play my Collings with a rounder-pointed pick closer to the fingerboard to mellow out the tone. Whatever I've got my hands on at the moment. J-74s, usually, but have used Ted's Jazz strings and FT-74's which both give great tone.

With the right touch, you can get a variety of tones out of the same box.

Registered User Jean-Pierre WOOS's Avatar

I play a Selmer style mandolin Dupont with gypsy guitar and violin players.
    Thomastick medium gauge strings, Wegen Pick (M100), build-in pick-up, and a Fishman Loudbox 100 when i play in smal places. When i must be plugged on a sound system, i use an Aphex acoustic x-citer as DI-box.

You know "La pompe" with gypsies: always loudly !!! It's quite easy to be heared as soloist even when jamming without amp.

I get pleasure to play that mandolin.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I am definitely going to try the JM11 strings, and am still looking for a second mando (something I can put JM11s on and leave them on).

MAS struck like lightning; I just bought Drayleon Royale #21. I'll report on its jazztastic nature (or whatever) in another thread.

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For what it's worth, the Draleon Royale is the instrument pictured on a package of JM11 strings.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

Blog Entries

I play blues-jazz on my mandolin banjo and my national resonator no need for a amp-or pick up on either both are banjo killers (not to many banjo in blues-jazz) but in a bar I know they can hear me Will play for beer and stop for money
    fred davis