Thread: Music for a Found Harmonium

Default Music for a Found Harmonium

This tune has become my great nemesis. I can't play the last part without getting a pain in my left hand. It's the stretch between the c sharp and back to the the e, then using my little finger to reach the lower c sharp.

Does anyone have the same problem. Is it just practice or has anyone found a different fingering to achieve the last sequence. To me there is no better crescendo than going from the final A7 part back to the D and it's been my personal disappointment that I have never mastered this tune.

Default Re: Music for a Found Harmonium

Yep, it's a fingerbuster. I haven't been able to figure out any other position or fingering that feels any better. If the stretch is the hard part, you could do it up an octave, starting that C# on the 9th fret of the E string. The fingering would be the same, but the spacing would be a little easier. Otherwise, just keep hacking away at it with a metronome. You'll get there.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Perhaps this version from the Carp Camp Carpilation book will help. It leaves out the C# on the G string. It may be altogether a bit different than your version.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Music for a found Harmonium.jpg 
Views:	3272 
Size:	262.0 KB 
ID:	49843  
    Weber Hyalite oval

When you give a personal lesson in meanness to a critter or a person, don't be surprised if they learn their lesson.
    ~Cowboyism

Just a thought on this one...

I've recently heard one or two versions of this tune played in the Irish Traditional world where the first two parts only are played, i.e. it has mutated into a standard two-part reel. (One of the versions thus played is recorded on an album by Martin O'Donohoe from Cavan called Tasty Touches; he calls the tune Simon's Reel.)

To my ear, and without any criticism implied whatsoever to Simon for a great job on the original tune, I much prefer it played in the Irish idiom in this two-part version. The modulations which show up in the third part onwards of the original composition are a tad alien to the Irish musical mainstream and I find that a lot of players struggle from that point onwards. (Obviously not Four Men and a Dog or Patrick Street! :-) ) However the fingering of the first two parts is within the comfort zone and most reasonably proficient Irish musicians can render these well.

Just my tuppence worth. And, once again, not a reflection in any way on Simon's tune - just a sense in which it can be adapted (as many tunes before have been and many more will be) to fit into the Irish way of playing.

Of course, if you've got the technical ability and the familiarity with keys not commonly encountered in Irish music, then the original "big" tune is something to aim for!

Thanks Omer, will try that notation once I get the Kids to bed.

Aidan, I have heard a banjo player in Kilkenny doing that arrangement, but I first became aware of the tune from the movie about Joe Locke, Hear My Song and have always wanted to reproduce the delicate yet driving sound that came from that soundtrack.

I'm also playing an OM as my main instrument these days amplifying the problem.

And yes Paul, I have to keep reminding myself to practice with a metronome. My version of The Lark in the Morning has suffered badly from not practicing with a metronome. My foot is not a reliable time keeper!