Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: whyd you start?

Default Re: whyd you start?

I'm a bass player originaly but I bought my old Harmony off a mate for thirty quid because it fitted on my motorbike. I use it still when I gig at bike rallies over here in the UK an' out in Europe, it's a lovely instrument an' it's given me a musical career. I can't grumble at that....

An' a photoshoot for 100% Biker magazine over here with my customised '73 Triumph Bonneville....

I have been playing banjo and guitar for a big hunk of my life. Last year the hearing issues I have been dealing with for as long as I can remember finally got to the point where I was almost completely deaf. Rather than get depressed I started teaching myself the fiddle and mandolin.

It was fun exploring the two instruments mainly by feel rather than sound - and it kept me occupied enough to take my mind off of the pain and frustration.

Now that I can sorta-kinda hear again (I had a Baha implant installed at Johns Hopkins - more on that here: http://www.thebluegrassblog.com/patr...gains-hearing/) I am still messing around with the mandolin. In fact, a few weeks ago one of my banjo students in the UK made me a solid-body electric mandolin http://dailyfrail.com/2010/01/11/i-s...olin-electric/

-Patrick

What turned me onto mandolin was Led zeppelin and the song battle of evermore and I also thought Rod Stewart's Maggie may was pretty cool. I look back now and realize they were quite simple songs but they were my first intro to mandolin...Mike

Blog Entries

Mandolin is just my current passion in stringed instruments. I played in the band through high school and college and music was part of my life. Trombone (for me) was meant to be played in a band so, sans band, I stopped playing. A girlfriend had a guitar, she taught be few chords and I bought my own. Wish I had played continuously since then (~'78) but I still consider that the start.
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    ca. 1900 Clifford Mandolinetto
    Martin Guitars

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Stevie, ever considered posting that 2nd pic in the "Women with Mandolins" thread?
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    Stevie, ever considered posting that 2nd pic in the "Women with Mandolins" thread?
    Didn't know there was one, new here. [:{D>
    http://www.myspace.com/stevieoneblokeonemandolin

There's only three types of music I reckon. That what you like, that what you don't an' that what you ain't heard yet.

GDAE ... in terms of sound and music theory, a eureka moment.

Quote Originally Posted by STEViE Simpson View Post
    An' a photoshoot for 100% Biker magazine over here with my customised '73 Triumph Bonneville....
    i thought life was going to be like this ...

Quote Originally Posted by billkilpatrick View Post
    i thought life was going to be like this ...
    It's not like that every day Bill [:{D>
    http://www.myspace.com/stevieoneblokeonemandolin

There's only three types of music I reckon. That what you like, that what you don't an' that what you ain't heard yet.

Quote Originally Posted by STEViE Simpson View Post
    It's not like that every day Bill [:{D>
    me neither ... just the weekends.

One day at school (I'm a elementary school teacher who teach music in high shcool), I was wandering why the kids couldn't understand the basics of playing guitar .... It was pretty darn easy for me and, well I was in total darkness. So I decide to put myself in their shoes and finally understand them. So I looked for a new instrument to "feel" the way they do. So I went to youtube and started to look for something crazy and funny... That's when I saw Mr. Ritcher playing voodoo child... That day I remember that I bought a handmaid mandolin (wich i never played with) in Mexico 14 years ago. That's how it all begins. ( btw sorry for my poor english, I'm...... not english lol)

Josh

The portability and instant-access of a mandolin attracted me. Eight ringing strings on an impossibly skinny neck ( & I got chubby fingers). I started with one book, including a CD, then discovered the rich mine of mandolin playing on YouTube.
    Yesterday I went to the airport to ask if a Mandolin hard-case containing my instrument could be carrry-on. The guy at the check-in line with time on his hands said "could he see it".... and then "could you play it". Reluctant though I was I got through a strumming -- chording section of "Greenland Whale Fishery." Didn't stumble & the staff at airport seemed pleased. I walked out of there feeling like, well... a frikken' MUSICIAN. Its the little (big)things that count.

Thanks, I like the thread.

Blog Entries

Picked up my first mandolin in '67 after starting on guitar and banjo in '65. Ever since '68 the mandolin is still the instrument I love to play the most, and is the one I understand more than the other two, although I still pick around on the guitar some and the banjer. Like most of the rest of us I have two really fine mandolins, and would not mind having another couple that are as good. But I have two guitars, one of which is my dad's old D-35 Martin, and I have a banjo, but will be getting another of those as soon as I can from a friend who builds 5-string necks and puts them on old Gibson TB pots. makes a great banjo, not as heavy as a standard because of the lack of a tone-ring. Heck I'm instrument poor like many others on here. But I'd rather have a great instrument than a new car anytime.

Started playing guitar then ended up in a band that had 3 guitars. Went to the mandolin, and glad I did, to provide some more flavor to the band. The second best decision ever made.

I played guitar, dobro, banjo and fiddle in various jams, for years. Finally, there were four of us, and a mandolin was needed. Well, I thought, "How hard can that be, since I once played the fiddle?"

So, I sent to JC Penney, and bought a mandolin, with cardboard case and built-in electric pickup with two controls, all for $75.00. It turned out to be a great sounding instrument, with plenty of punch, and I soon found that picking and bowing are two different animals. The high tension and stiffness of the mandolin strings makes it respond differently to the pick, compared to a guitar or a banjo.

I finally reached a very mediocre skill on it, as with the other instruments. I never did know what brand it was, but it served well.
    3 finger chop

Banjo was my 1st, then guitar, then

Tim O'Brien

Sam bush