Thread: Mando set-up in No. VA or Wash. DC?

Default Mando set-up in No. VA or Wash. DC?

Greetings cafe members! I recently moved to Northern VA and need to find a set-up master nearby - any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Jan Lautzenheiser

Default Re: Mando set-up in No. VA or Wash. DC?

John Hamlett ("sunburst" here on the cafe) is located in Lovingston - not northern VA, but maybe not too far from you. He has refretted and set up my mandolin a couple of times and I was very, very happy with the results. He's a pleasure to work with as well.
    Clark Beavans

Thanks Tree - I just checked and it's about 2 hours 45 minutes to there - will keep it in mind while I look for something closer.

Jan

Check with Jack Cowardin and with the guys at Picker's Supply in Fredricksburg and see who they recommend in the DC area. Otherwise, I have a couple of customers who drive down from the DC, NoVa, Md area from time to time, maybe you could car pool if you can't find someone close by.

I live in Baltimore, but I spent about eight years in DC. Unfortunately there is a bizarre dearth of luthiers in the Baltimore Washington area...Bizarre in that we have a very vibrant bluegrass/acoustic music scene. I can only speculate that it has something to do with the high costs of living and doing business.

John Hamlett is probably your best bet, but if you really need something a little closer to home, there is Appalachian Bluegrass in Catonsville. That's probably about an hour for you, barring horrid traffic. I've had some repair work done there, and they did an excellent job. They did take a bit longer than they had originally estimated, but other than that, I have no complaints. The staff is friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable.

There's also House of Musical Traditions in Takoma, but I can't vouch for their work. I was always put off by the low quality of the new instruments they carry (occasionally they have a nice vintage guitar, banjo, or mando). That probably has nothing to do with their repair staff, but it didn't make me want to take my stuff there. You could also try Action Music. I know someone who had their guitar almost completely rebuilt there, after it suffered a nasty fall. That said, I think they are mostly focused on guitars.

Sorry, I don't have more options. If anyone knows of some luthiers in the immediate vicinity, I'm sure there are a lot of us who would like to hear about them.
    James

Thanks Mr. Hamlett - I'll check with Picker's Supply. If I don't find someone exceptional in this area I could be talked into a drive down your way.

Jan

Can't help you with NoVa but if Richmond is an option I would recommend Dr. Dave Cohen.

I've been looking for a good luthier since moving back to NoVa over 3 years ago, and have had no luck at all. It's amazingly frustrating.

If you find somebody, please post their contact info.

Hello Seeyououtthere, allow me to be the first to welcome you to mandolincafe. A fine and generous group of people.

I will indeed post when I find a luthier in the No. VA area.

Jan

I'll take the contact info for Dr Cohen.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Noteplayer View Post
    I'll take the contact info for Dr Cohen.

Thanks.
    www.cohenmando.com

If you still need help, I am in the eastern Panhandle of West Virginia and I would be happy to help.
    Don
    http://www.donkawalek.com
    "The only thing achieved in life without effort is failure."
    Dum Vixi Tacui Mortua Dulce Cano

I second Dr. Cohen. I will warn you though, many who have visited with Dr. Cohen leave with a deep lust for his incredible mandolins. And there is a reason why, they are some of the best darn mandolins you will ever put your hands on.

Dr. Cohen is a great guy with an extreme wealth of information about mandolins and acoustics. So definitely keep him on your list.

Does Melodee Music out in Sterling do setup? I know they carry Webers and some other names. You may want to check them out if they do.
    "When I heard what Socrates had done on the lyre, I wished indeed even [I had done] that...but certainly I labored hard in letters!" - Cicero, "Cato the Elder on Old Age"
    Weber Gallatin Mahogany F
    19th Century Ferrari(?) Bowlback
    Early 20th Century British Mandoline-Banjo & Deering Goodtime Tenor
    1960s Harmony Baritone Ukelele
    The Magic Fluke Flea Soprano Ukelele (in 5ths!)
    1910 German Stradivarius 1717 copy, unknown maker
    1890(?) German Stradivarius 1725 copy, G.A. Pfreztschner, maker

Thanks for all the help. Still looking for someone local, but since I may be going to Richmond, VA soon I'll contact Mr. Cohen. Looking at his website sure makes me wonder if I'll get out of his shop with my budget intact!

Jan

I have to give a hearty "Amen" to Dfyngravity. During my visit for a setup, Dr. Cohen was an absolutely gracious host and a wealth of information about mandolin setup, construction, and maintenance. If that wasn't enough, I then had the pleasure of picking on his samples plus listen to him play classical! If I thought my playing had reached anywhere near the potential of my unassuming Kentucky 505, I would have commissioned an A-style, oval hole on the spot. If you already know you will be in Richmond in the near future, definitely contact Dr. Cohen. Best of luck!

Maple Maker

I believe that Joe Latham, who has been a reliable and professional repair resource around the DC/Maryland area for 30 years or more, is doing repairs for Pickers Supply in Fredericksburg VA. If you could get Joe to do a setup, I'm sure you'd be satisfied. I've done some work for Pickers over the years, but I'm trying to avoid repair work now.

You probably won't be going anywhere by car this weekend, I'd guess.
    Jack C.
    non illegitimati carborundum