Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Martin two point

Default Re: Martin two point

Well, until that day, there are plenty of other vintage Martin 2 points for sale - though some of them are in the less-expensive original, un-improved condition.

YMMV NFI

Well, in my search, six months ago. I found three model 20 ovals for sale. One of those sold for $3,500, the other I purchased and the third was the one you are pointing too.. if one is keen on purchasing a Model 20, they are beautiful little mandolins, however be wary of a horizontal block crack. They are endemic to this model, are hard to see from a photograph and make for an expensive repair. Also, the top arching may have sunken under the bridge due to the not as supportive lateral tone bar, the one in mine was very light.. Also, my $3,500 is a starting asking price, I am open to reasonable offers. Take care..

Oh, funny! I didn't realize until I re-read the beginning of this thread that this was the same style 20 from the Roy Smeck auction. And I commented on it a year or so. Now it all comes together.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hi Jim, yes, when I was researching this mando about six months ago, I read your post before I purchased it. In part, your comments help me decide whether or not to acquire this project and because of this forum, we tell a nice little story about this little model 20. Your comments have been appreciated and helpful! John

Martin 2 points have structural and design issues (from the factory) that are well known. So do Vega cylinderbacks, Howe-Ormes, Lyon and Healys, heck even some Gibsons. Should they all be improved, given the chance? Maybe. Have some been? Sure, famously, even. Would they sound better, be better players? Again, there are plenty of famous examples to the positive. It all depends on the situation - I don't have a problem with the idea of modification itself. I've had them DONE myself.

My beef with this whole deal (if you actually comprehended my comments instead of just sniping at them) is the idea that somehow this has been "fully restored" (and priced accordingly). I don't care who you are (Randy Wood, Gilchrist, et. al.) there is no way I would pay more than original prices for a significantly modified vintage mandolin. Again, YMMV. I appreciate your skills, and truly wish you good luck with your sale.

Quote Originally Posted by delsbrother View Post
    Martin 2 points have structural and design issues (from the factory) that are well known. So do Vega cylinderbacks, Howe-Ormes, Lyon and Healys, heck even some Gibsons. Should they all be improved, given the chance? Maybe. Have some been? Sure, famously, even. Would they sound better, be better players? Again, there are plenty of famous examples to the positive. It all depends on the situation - I don't have a problem with the idea of modification itself. I've had them DONE myself.

My beef with this whole deal (if you actually comprehended my comments instead of just sniping at them) is the idea that somehow this has been "fully restored" (and priced accordingly). I don't care who you are (Randy Wood, Gilchrist, et. al.) there is no way I would pay more than original prices for a significantly modified vintage mandolin. Again, YMMV. I appreciate your skills, and truly wish you good luck with your sale.
    The original price for this instrument was $150 I think it is worth more than that. By the way, if you don't want to buy it, you don't have to but there is no need to try and undermine someone else's work and or asking price for the sake of argument. I have already said my price was a starting point, I have agreed with you that the term "restoration" was used a bit loose and was partially restored partially modified. I have seen that these instruments are priced between $2,500 and $4,500 according to a couple of reputable dealers I have spoken with in varying states of condition. I have also stated it was an "asking price". A starting point. Any way your point is well taken but you could be a little nicer about it. What is YMMV stand for anyway? Peace Brother.

Quote Originally Posted by doghouse View Post
    ...What [does] YMMV stand for anyway?...
    Your Mileage May Vary. Derived from old advertisements that promised an attractive number of MPG for a certain brand of automobile or gasoline, then appended this disclaimer. Has become a widely (somewhat inaccurately) used shorthand for, "This is what I think, but you may find something different."

We all know that opinions are -- just that, opinions. Except for mine, which are well-reasoned, brilliantly and cogently phrased, and backed up by research and experience. That is, if you disregard Post #2 of this thread, which was just stupid, as subsequent posts have proven.

Oh, well...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Oh well.. words to live by. All the best Allen.

JSH 2-20 Mandolin by John Hill

For those of you who have followed this thread, I thought I would post this here first so as to wrap up the saga of my foray into the world of the Martin Model 20-2 Mandolin..

I just finished this as of yesterday. Amidst all of my other work, and having to build all of the jigs and design work etc., it took a longer than anticipated.

The body outline was traced from the Martin 2-20 that I recently restored. I enlarged it by 6 percent so to accommodate the 13n7/8 scale length. I chose to build it with X tone bars. The arching, neck and head and pick guard are of my own design. I installed a James tail piece. Euro spruce top, maple back, ebony lining and finished with French Polish.

As a violin maker and now, most recently a mandolin maker, I have a new found respect for the latter. A lot work and not any less demanding for the technical skill set!

I hope you enjoy these pix and thanks to those for the positive support in the past!

All the best, John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20-2 Full Front.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	77410   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JSH 20-2 Front.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	77411   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JSH 20-2 Back Full.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	77412  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JSH 20-2 Back.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	77413   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JSH 20-2 Front3.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	77415   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JSH 20-2 Head2.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	77417  

That's breathtaking, John. Words fail me...

Thank you Eddie!

From one violin repair guy, and wanna be mandolin player, to another (violin maker) ----- Absoulutely Gorgious. I don't think I can say anything else that would approximate my admiration for your work.

-----Barry
    Never try to teach pigs to dance. It wastes your time and it annoys the pigs.

ca. 1930 Kay A w/ ff holes
    2003 Gibson F9
    A couple of dozen Fiddles

Too kind Barry, thank you..