Thread: Voight F5 Owners

Default Voight F5 Owners

Hello, I am very interested in knowing more about Voight F5 mandolins. I have been to his website, and they look and sound very impressive. I just wondered if players here at the mando café are happy with their Voight, and how they stand up against mandolins in a similar price bracket. ($3500)
    Thanks

Default Re: Voight F5 Owners

I know this is an old post, but I'm curious too. Any Voight owners out there (not that I can afford one)?????

I just started taking lessons from Dan a few weeks ago. He let me play one of his F5's and showed me around his shop. The mandolin is excellent. I just moved to Nashville and have been making the rounds and playing a lot of mandolins. His F5 holds its own against some that are almost twice as expensive. I think many cafe folks know it is very subjective though. I would describe it as very nicely balanced tonally and super easy to play. It is loud but didn't seem to have a loud "bark", although I didn't really push it. To be fair I only played it a bit a the end of the lesson. I'm thinking of ordering an A model since it is a lot more than $3500 for an F5 now. I also played a used A style Voight recently at Carter Vintage Guitars that was selling for around $3500 (I think it was #7). I didn't have time to check it out like I want and may go back to try again. Ultimately I think you should reach out to him if you are interested. He is very laid back and knowledgable. He is also very young and a talented player.
    Mark

Gibson A circa 1917
    Collings Mf 5 "Blackface"

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnmarkva View Post
    I also played a used A style Voight recently at Carter Vintage Guitars that was selling for around $3500 (I think it was #7). I didn't have time to check it out like I want and may go back to try again.
    It's #11: http://www.cartervintage.com/mandopa...e.html#voightA. It's discussed here with pictures, an mp3, and even a video clip: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...-Voight-babies. If I were in Nashville, I'd like to try my hand at it, but I do wonder about the price. Does $3500 used mean that Dan's A-styles are now going for ~$5000 new (a.k.a. Ellis territory)?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I don't want to speak for Dan on his prices, but from what he told me the A's are well below $5k for sure.

Based on hearing him play and getting to play the F5 for myself and check out the quality of the build - I think comparing to Ellis in sound and quality isn't a stretch. Without playing them side by side it isn't fair to say for sure, but that is what it reminded me of. It has that "Gilchrist" tonal quality for a fraction of the price.

Again, having played several dozen $5k to $25k mandolins over the last few weeks I think I'm more confused than ever over evaluating good instruments. I've even gone back and played instruments that I thought were incredible and then changed my mind. From reading on the cafe I get the feeling that I'm not alone. MAS aside it just seems that there are so many variables into what we "hear" depending on so many factors such as the room, the time of day, our playing, barometric pressure, humidity and of course has it been played or "broken in"!
    Mark

Gibson A circa 1917
    Collings Mf 5 "Blackface"

6. The following members say thank you to johnmarkva for this post:

Dan's mandolins are incredible, in all respects. The torch and wire F-5 he is working on in this batch is mine, and simply put I cannot wait. I have a great mandolin currently, but Dan's instruments are incredibly responsive and balanced. And loud. I've also found that Dan's instruments are always set up and play effortlessly, likely due to his background as a player. I've gotten to play several Voights and compare them directly to my Gil and several other high-end mandolins, and every Voight had that 'certain something' and more than held its own.

8. The following members say thank you to josh a for this post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10371366_823005435183_2384475519201048857_n.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	131020

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to josh a For This Useful Post:

I really like torch and wire like that! Very cool!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Registered User Mike Sutterfield's Avatar

I've played that A model at Carter and I've met Dan through a mutual friend. It's truly a great mandolin. He's a passionate builder and a VERY good player. I know someone will want to start a debate but I feel like great players have an experienced ear for how their instruments should sound and it shows in his builds. His fit and finish really hangs with the big boys. Not typical of smaller less known builders. I don't own one of his but I've been contemplating a build from Dan.
    2008 Daley Standard F5
    1975 Martin D-35 Shaded Top

13. The following members say thank you to Mike Sutterfield for this post:

I follow Dan on IG and his attention to detail as amazing. I just I had the cash to commission a build.
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

I have also played the A at Carter and found it to stand out from the rest. I'd never heard of Voight before then, and when I attended the Station Inn jam the next night a young player named Tyler Endall was playing a Voight F model. A very talented player, he had nothing but good things to say about Dan and the instruments. I spoke to Dan prior to my Mando Camp visit this month but with SPGBMA and everything going on, we never hooked up.
    2009 Ellis A
    2015 Weber Yellowstone 2-Point Octave
    1984 Flatiron A5-2
    1952 Martin A Oval
    1912 Martin Bowlback
    1915 Washburn Bowlback
    1910's Lyon and Healy Bowlback
    3-1900's European Bowlback's