Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: who is this wicked good mandolin player?

Default Re: who is this wicked good mandolin player?

Quote Originally Posted by mandolinlee View Post
    Hi All: Just found this post today, about 6 weeks late. Hope some of you will find my entry interesting. I knew Doug Dalton as an electric guitar player who camped at Hillbrook Recreation, Ottawa Ohio. For years he made the Bluegrass Reunions that were held the first weekend of May and the first weekend of October. He and several friends from the Dayton area, plus a man that played upright bass from Illinois played a great variety of swing, jazz , western swing and fiddle tunes all weekend. On several occasions I was honored to set in with them. Although they played over my head, with Doug's help of calling the changes I feel I played some of my BEST music!
    The second thing that I found interesting in one of Don Stiernberg's post is his reference to Wild Bill Davison. Wild Bill grew up in the basement of the Library in Defiance Ohio. Defiance is my County Seat. Thanks for the memories.
    Lee
    Hey Lee! Thank you for sharing this history. I'm originally from Ohio and a huge Whippoorwills fan! Any chance you might know anyone in Doug Dalton's family? I'd love to interview them about Doug Dalton and the Whippoorwills! Please send me an email to gmhbooking@gmail.com ...Thanks and hope to hear from you soon!

Default Re: who is this wicked good mandolin player?

Quote Originally Posted by Keenan028 View Post
    Hey Lee! Thank you for sharing this history. I'm originally from Ohio and a huge Whippoorwills fan! Any chance you might know anyone in Doug Dalton's family? I'd love to interview them about Doug Dalton and the Whippoorwills! Please send me an email to gmhbooking@gmail.com ...Thanks and hope to hear from you soon!
    Hopefully Lee will answer you but this was posted over 9 years ago.

If you go to the youtube link, there is a comment below by Joe Dalton, Doug's nephew. Perhaps you can contact him through youtube.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1