Thread: Quiet E string, help please!

Default Quiet E string, help please!

Some advice please:

I am relatively new to the mandolin and have an Eastman 505, which I am happy with. I have tried several different brands of string and string gauge, and several different picks, it’s true I get a different tone with different strings and picks, but when I fret the E string, I struggle to get any decent volume out of it. I expect it could be my novice technique, but does anybody have any advice or tips on how to get more life out of my E string without picking super hard?
    Thanks

Default Re: Quiet E string, help please!

I have the exact opposite problem on my Eastman 615, the E IS EXTREMLY LOUD. My chop is affected by the over bearing E.
    “Music speaks what cannot be expressed, soothes the mind and gives it rest, heals the heart and makes it whole, flows from heaven to the soul"

You can play a shoestring if your sincere ~John Coltrane

any advice or tips on how to get more life out of my E string without picking super hard?

That maybe what you have to do pick Sforzando ,

trying different brands of 0.011" music wire is futile , it's all the same carbon steel.

stand in front of a wall so the projected sound bounces back towards your ears,
    It may just be perception.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Try making sure your pick contacts the string at exactly 90 degrees and moves through the string firmly at 90 degrees to the pick. Pick horizontal, moving vertically downwards. If that isn't making a good sound, you may need a luthier to look at the setup.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Is the E string ringing out, or is it a dead thud? In the latter case, a bridge tilted towards the head might be the cause.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    Is the E string ringing out, or is it a dead thud? In the latter case, a bridge tilted towards the head might be the cause.
    The bridge did look slightly tilted forward, so i loosened the strings and tryed tilting it back upright, but as i tightened the strings, it seemed to find a natural position, not as bad as before, but still slightly forward. Although i think i am getting a bit more volume now, but maybe its all inmy mind!

Given your response to Bertram's question, you may want to take your Eastman to a shop and have someone look at the setup. In general, Eastmans tend to be a bit bright and loud on the treble side and a little dull and quiet on the bass side. I think mine is an exception in that it has an even tone and is relatively loud. The fact that yours is very dull on the treble suggests with a high likelihood that there is something wrong at the nut or bridge.