Thread: Tune book of music from Brittany

Default Tune book of music from Brittany

Hey folks,

Several of you have asked if I have any plans to record an entire CD of Breton music. No immediate plans, but I thought I should mention that I have a tunebook for sals of 50 traditional tunes from Brittany. The tunes are in standard notation with chords indicated, and there is a discography and some introductory materials as well. The book also contains most of the traditional Breton material that I have recorded on my 4 solo CDs. So if this sounds like just the ticket for you, drop me a line, and I will give you ordering info (this doesn't seem like the place for commercial ads, does it?).

David Surette
    soozendave@surfglobal.net

Default Re: Tune book of music from Brittany

Quote Originally Posted by David Surette View Post
    (this doesn't seem like the place for commercial ads, does it?).
    no, but you could list it (for free) in the classifieds.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Default Re: Tune book of music from Brittany

The bestsource for breton music is a couple of books :
    Toniou Breizh Izel 1 & 2
    These books are the (more than 2000 !) tunes collected from 1940 to 1958 from the traditionnal singers and musicians... Of course, it needs a little work : for example, to play a gavotte, you'll need to pick in these books 2 or three themes of each part of the dance... (a minimum of traditionnal breton music knowledge is requested).
    If someone wants to build a breton repertoire, feel free to contact me, I play breton music for more than 20 years (mainly breton bagpipes and clarinet).
    Déjà Vu 5s 'Clockwork Orange 2' Emando - 'Clockwork Orange 3' Octave Emando - Goodtime Tenor Banjo - Former Framus mandocello
    Kasuga M50-Godin A8-Martella bowlback-Dunhuang Liuqin-Thüringer walddoline-2 Böhm waldzithers-electric waldzither-'Gelas' mandolin-domeback mandolin-Clearwater upgraded EMando

"A gentleman is a man who can play the bagpipe and who does not."