Thread: Another,nother,nother pick thread

Default Another,nother,nother pick thread

I was thinking of picking up a blue chip pick. I play Wegen now and like them but am curious about the blue chip. It says it self lubricating. Is it also slippery in the hand? Does anyone know what they are made of? I believe the Wegens are Kevlar. When i hear self lubricating i think of a material like the self lubricating graphite nuts used for the Tusq nuts used on instruments. Just wondering...Mike

Default Re: Another,nother,nother pick thread

you might check their website at bluechippick.net if you haven't already. I bought a bluechip TPR 50 a month ago or so. It's a great pick. Worth $35?
    Heck, I don't know. I guess I like it enough that I'm thinking about getting a bluechip CT 55 to play around with. You'll never really know until you try one.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Read THIS thread (all 30 pages) and you will be enlightened and entertained.

OR go to THIS SITE to read about Meldin, an expensive polymer which is made into Blue Chip Picks.

Many of us think BCs are the bee's knees.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

naw Bluechip sticks in my hand like I can't believe. I'm sold on them. I only own one and I cannot believe how long I have had it now and havn't lost it. I did misplace it for a week or so and had to use a TS pick and I didn't like it as much but I found it (THANK GOD) under the paperwork on my computer desk!

The BC picks do get slippery after a while from finger oil but Bucket on here told me to wash it and I did and it is again tacky again.

Nice pick but too durn expensive!

Self-lubricating is just BS. They are not slippery, nor do they really stick to your fingers. But Blue Chip picks are great nevertheless, you will not find any better, even though you will find much cheaper ones that you may like nearly as much.

Blue Chips are swell picks, wear forever, feel great and they don't slip. They are indeed the cat's meow.

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

Well I'm going to put my 2 cents in here on this one. I am a bluegrass picker.....in his 50's and slow to change. I went to a friend's house this week and he had a little trial for me.

He got out his Gilchrist and I tried 2 shell picks, my favorite Blanton 3 corner, and 2 Blue Chips TPR's, a 40 and a 50.

I was amazed at the tone I was able to get out of the Gil with the Blue Chips. Much smoother, less "brittle" sound. Felt good in my hand.

I plunked down my money and have bought 2 of the 50's.

Now I'm not here to say that everyone should buy them etc. but I've got a million picks over the years.....almost 50 years of playing and these are like nothing I have ever used.....they are that good.

Is there much of a bevel on the one you like and do you like the point or the R?

Quote Originally Posted by fishtownmike View Post
    I play Wegen now and like them but am curious about the blue chip.
    I'll give you my perspective, since the Wegen was also my fave pick for my Bozeman Flatiron mando, and also my Collings D1-A. After having tried the TPR 40 and 50 for mando, I can unfortunately ($) say that I like them slightly better than my Wegen.

As for guitar, it's a toss-up between my Wegen bluegrass & the BC TP-50.

From one Wegen lover to another..........
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

I like the Blue Chip. I think it sticks in my fingers better. It is funny that it seems to stick so well in the hand when the surface is incredibly smooth and and it seems to glide on the strings. Hard to explain. Feels sort of like nylon but not as flexible. I have one with two pointy ends and one round end. I use both depending on my mood and how fresh my strings are.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

I still like the Blue Chip but it is NOT as loud nor as clear as a Dunlop Ultex 1.14 and it has pick noise despite claims to the contrary. It is a good pick but no better than other top picks.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

I like the Dunlop Ultex 1.14 , but I much prefer the Red Bear. Also like the Proplec, but they're a little small. Haven't tried the Blue Chip, but I'm sure I'll get around to it.

Thanks everyone. I must have every pick ever made. I have thousands that I have tried over almost 30 years. I'm still searching for the perfect pick. I to like the Dunlop ultex 1.14 on the guitar but i find it to bright and thin on the mando. I use a Wegen mando pick in 1.5. I like a semi rounded tip for the mando and recently have even been using the same pick on the guitar. I probably order one. I never thought in my life that i would spend this much on a pick. I sure hope someone don't come out with a $500.00 pick. I'll have to draw the line there...Mike
    Last edited by fishtownmike; Jan-23-2010 at 2:10am.

Blog Entries

My TP40-1R gives me the same sound I got with my faux tortoise without the constant maintenance. I said plenty in 'the' BlueChip pick thread so I'll leave it at that.
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    ca. 1900 Clifford Mandolinetto
    Martin Guitars