Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Mike Compton Interview

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Mike Compton Interview

Thanks to everyone concerned with bringing this interview to fruition.

I had not been too aware of Mr. Compton's work before this interview but prompted by the tone of his answers to the questions i decided to invest some resources into discovering more about his music.

I have to say its been well worth the effort, i have been drawn to his sound. I really do appreciate when somone can play a fistful of notes pretty quick and clean, and i get that with the mandolins limitations sometimes thats what is needed to fill the space, but its not what captures and holds my attention, nor where i want to go with my own playing. I much prefer the open soundings Mr. Compton gets from the mandolin, for me, his approach allows the mandolin to open and express almost as if it is being bowed but without sacraficing the percussive dynamic that also comes with the mandolin also being a rhythmic instrument.

Listening to Mr. Compton's recordings have given me a lot to think about with regards my own playing not only that but its also been the prompt for yet another personal re-appraisal of Mr. Monroe's playing... its amazing how much i have ignored Mr. Monroe's recordings through sheer wilfull stubborness and closed ears.

Now, if i can only concoct some sort of convoluted scheme to get see Mr. Compton play in nearby Vienne as part of the Sugarcanes that'd really top my summer.

Blog Entries

Observing the anniversary of this interview today. Still a great read, questions from our forum members.

Blog Entries

Another anniversary for this feature interview with our favorite old-time and Monroe style mandolin player!

Blog Entries

Observing another anniversary of this fine interview.