Thread: K&K on Martin Mandolin

Default K&K on Martin Mandolin

Has anyone installed a K&K on a Martin Style A
    Curious if you drilled out a endpin and mounted inside or mounted the K&K on the top

Thanks

Robert VanLane

Default Re: K&K on Martin Mandolin

FWIW: I haven't had anything to do with your specific brand of mandolin (Martin). I did put a K&K on one of my own mandolins several years ago. I bored out the tailpin and installed the jack and twin pickups internally. I hate to have a bunch of hardware hanging off the outside of my mandolins. It's always preferrable, to me, to tuck it inside and out of sight.
    Rob Grant
    FarOutNorthQueensland,Oz
    http://www.grantmandolins.com

I anticipate you have a non end button tailpiece , like the Cloud from the old Waverly company.

I bought a previously Professionally converted to electric, Gibson A50, that had one of those type tailpiece, the tech that did the work used a jack plate from Les Paul Jr parts and put the jack thru the rim..

rather than forever alter that Martin, why not get a different , removable pickup,
    Dean Markley , Schertler, etc. , or another mandolin, tool for the purpose, like an Ovation or Godin, for your loud gigs?

Last edited by mandroid; Jan-06-2010 at 12:52pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Martin Style A's have a non-endpin tailpiece. Initial instinctive reaction is not to drill through the side, but it's your mandolin. Just be aware it impairs its value. There are a lot of Martin A's out there -- they made 17 thousand plus -- so it's hardly a rarity. However, general preference is to make irrevocable alterations only when that's absolutely necessary.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

What I was planning to do was drill an 1/8" hole and run the cable out and mount the Jack to the outside using doublesided tape(with plastic holders)
    thanks
    Robert VanLane