Thread: Jimmy Moon Bouzouki

John Holder

Default Jimmy Moon Bouzouki

Anyone familiar with Jimmy Moon bouzoukis? If so, what's your take on them? Currently, there's a nice looking Irish type on ebay - http://cgi.ebay.com/Handmade-Deluxe-...item2a03b56c7e

Default Re: Jimmy Moon Bouzouki

I played a Moon bouzouki in Ireland when I was there over New Year, and it was absolutely beautiful. Didn't have time to explore it a lot as I only borrowed it for one single session, but it was easy to play, good action, nice tone. I'm looking into buying an OM and Moon is definitely an option.

I play a Jimmy Moon long-scale cittern, 25 1/2 " scale (approx). I'm very happy with it, particularly for my use. I'm not playing Irish tunes. It's more austere than the one you posted, and upon receiving it I immediately replaced (and repositioned) the tailpiece (similar to the one on the bouzouki you posted). I also carved a new bridge, among other personal mods. But it was solid right out of the box.

I just received a Moon ten string instrument, 16 inch scale, tuned CGDAE last week and I'm very, very pleased with it. First rate workmanship.

jim d

I'm noticing more and more Jimmy Moon instruments out and about. Went to see Peter Rowan last year on Skye (the island) and for part of the set he was playing a great sounding Jimmy Moon Dreadnought Guitar.

The Girlfriend has an abandoned Moon mandolin (long story) maybe its time it was dusted off set up and played (re-united even, but not my decision).

It'll be interesting to hear feed back on this instrument, did you buy it?