Thread: Stan Miller mandolins

Default Stan Miller mandolins

I recently got some helpful feedback on another northwest mandolin maker. I'd be interested in comments about Stan Miller mandolins from those who own them. Thank you,
    Nick Royal
    Santa Cruz, CA

Default Re: Stan Miller mandolins

Great guy, and a wonderful mandolin maker...

Both his older stuff from the 70's and instruments from his recent re-entry into building are just great mandolins...

Here are some past discussions about Stan's mandolins.

Stan Miller makes very nice mandolins.

5. The following members say thank you to Michael Lewis for this post:

If I was in the market, Stan would be one of the builders I would look at, very nice stuff.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

He was at last summer's Grass Valley Bluegrass festival in the luthier's pavillion and I thought he has the nicest instruments there, hands down, and there were a couple of other noted makers there that I won't name. They were all classic, Loar style instruments in the looks department and I think that's what he strives for in tone as well. If I was looking for a new instrument I would definitely consider him as a contender. As stated above, he's super nice too. I know Jody Stecher and Tom Bekany have both played and loved their Millers.

At Owensboro last September, Jody was playing an A and Butch Waller was playing his F and both sounded great.

I have one of Stan's most recent mandolins. It is exceptional in every way. Though I currently own several top-notch mandolins, this Stan Miller quickly became my favorite and my daily player.

The tone is extremely satisfying. It has richness and nuance that sounds great when playing quietly at home, but it also has the range and power to hold it's own in the bluegrass band in which I play. It has a strong chop, the typical red spruce "pop" to the notes, plenty of bass response, and clarity in the trebles all the way up the neck.

The workmanship is top notch. The neck shape, admittedly a matter of personal preference, is the most comfortable I have ever played.

...and Stan allowed a 30-day approval period!!!

I could not be happier. No financial interest, just a very satisfied customer.
    David Moore

10. The following members say thank you to DavidMoore for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    At Owensboro last September, Jody was playing an A and Butch Waller was playing his F and both sounded great.
    We called Jody's A a Miller Lite.
    They are mighty fine mandolins.

Thumbs up Re: Stan Miller mandolins

I was over at Stan Miller's house the other day and got to test drive his new Brazilian Rosewood F5. Wow... could this be a future trend? This beauty was made with Brazilian on the back, sides AND neck and the top is Engleman. As always, the workmanship was top-notch and I've gotta tell y'all... Stan makes (for my money) the most comfortable neck profile I've ever played... between the setup, the fret job and the neck this mandolin may be the most comfortable I've ever played... like butter baby! Ok, now to the sound. Volume was superb, balance was superb with a VERY nice G string... really created a richness to the whole mandolin... kinda like a high-quality subwoofer on an expensive sound system. All the courses of strings rung like wooden bells with a clarity and richness that I imagine only rosewood can produce. It had the bluegrass chop most players demand, but when you play open and barred chords - LORDY have mercy - RICHNESS IN SPADES! For a brand new, varnish finished instrument I feel I only got a glimpse of what this mandolin will develop into over the years. For reference, check out John Reischman's amazing playing on the Tony Rice Unit's CD from 1986 (!) "Devlin". It can be downloaded on from Amazon for 10 bucks. Not only is John's playing superb, natch... but he recorded this entire CD playing another Miller rosewood mandolin that was built a long, long time ago. Tell me the tone on this mandolin doesn't AT LEAST match his Loar. In sum, I feel that the potential of fine rosewood on high-end, arch-top mandolins is pretty much an unexplored territory. Granted, Stan was fortunate enough to acquire some exceptional Brazilian from local guitar maker Dake Traphagen (guitarists, place your orders now while you can because Dake's guitars have recently commanded the attention of, [and two orders from] David Grier) and the price of high-quality rosewood is way more than maple... but for those builders and players who are willing to walk new sonic trails this may be the path to take. I should let you know that Stan currently has two mandolas under construction and one of them will be made with Brazilian (the other maple), so I will report on them later once they're finished. Till then, here's some images of this exceptional F5 mandolin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MM1.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	212.6 KB 
ID:	48964   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MM2.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	180.6 KB 
ID:	48965   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MM3.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	48966  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MM4.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	48967  

13. The following members say thank you to Glassweb for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post
    Tell me the tone on this mandolin doesn't AT LEAST match his Loar.
    OK...

I remember that rosewood Miller than John had before he got the Loar...
    Very nice mandolin....

I was over at Stan Miller's house the other day and got to test drive his new Brazilian Rosewood F5. Wow... could this be a future trend?
    No comment about the dreaded FB extension????????

That's a beautiful mandolin. Danny Knicely plays a Brazilian b/s Fraley F5. It's a hoss for sure!

Well Shaun i gotta admit that i'm no fan of "scallopped" extensions either, but at least it's not a "you know what"! (DBT) Seriously, this mandolin is a monster... and who would've thought of a rosewood neck on an F5? Wild!

here's the review for Stan Miller's rosewood F5 mandolin...

I got to spend some serious time with a Miller F5 over the last two days. I'm in Nashville on the first leg of my road trip west. Of course I had to stop by the local instrument stores. I went to Gruhn's yesterday and started playing F5s. I've had the new mandolin itch here recently.....ok, ok....I always have that itch......so I figured I'd see if there was anything that caught my eye/ear.

After playing a few I ask what else is hangin' around. The Miller was in a case on the floor. I sit down and start playing it and WOW, this is a serious mandolin. Very loud, mid-rangey traditional tone. Fit and finish was beautiful. This one was side bound which I really like on an F5. I bet I played it for an hour as the wheels started turning.

Well I went back this morning and spent some more time with it. It's a good'un!! I'm still very tempted but good sense has started to take over. Maybe I'll order one of his A5s some day. I A/B'd it with my Heiden and the Heiden just had that little bit extra. A little more woody, slightly deeper tone, and more "pop" to the notes. A lot of that probably has to do with its Engelmann top. But the Miller......it's a darn fine mandolin. I'm definitely impressed!!

19. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Thread Bump:

I played 4 Stan Miller mandolins at The Great 48 this past weekend, ranging in years made from mid 70s to 2009. I had never heard of them before and I have to concur with the opinions stated previously. Mighty fine mandolins that the NoCal pickers in particular seem to like as the mando flavor of the day right now. I was very impressed; heard his wait period could be a year to a year and a half but once ready he'll ship to you with the 30 day approval period. If I was in the market...
    Last edited by DataNick; Jan-11-2016 at 6:37pm. Reason: grammar
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

21. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

I bought a Miller A model from Stan in 2010. It is really a wonderful mandolin. I think David's post from back in 2007 was a good description - very satisfying tone and impressive range. It is very comfortable and easy to play, and has stood up really well to a lot of festivals and jams, and a decent number of gigs. The varnish finish is beautiful, and really captures the look of an old instrument. I'm taking care of "distressing" it.

I had an opportunity during a Nashville visit last year to A/B my Miller against a bunch of great mandolins, including all the top brands, current top level builders, and a couple of magical old Gibson F5 Loars to boot. A Gil A3, one of the Loars, and a Hester F5 (that was not for sale) stood out as really special. They all had their own wonderfully satisfying tone, plus terrific response, playability, and range. That Gil A3 was a monster! Still my Miller performed right up there with the best of the best, and continues to be an absolute joy every single time I get to play. My budget won't allow adding another high end instrument to the herd right now, but if it did there's a good chance that it would be a sibling Miller F model (or maybe that Gil).

Rich

23. The following members say thank you to Rich White for this post:

I was over at Stan Miller's house the other day and got to test drive his new Brazilian Rosewood F5. Wow... could this be a future trend?
    I am now the very happy owner of this fine mandolin.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bobrem For This Useful Post: