Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin U. Srinivas to tour US

Is there a "talent" knob? Christian McKee's Avatar

Default Mandolin U. Srinivas to tour US

Just a heads up that U. Srinivas and his brother are heading out on tour in the US again. The only confirmed date I can find at the moment is April 10, 2010 in Portland, Oregon. I had the pleasure of seeing him a few years back, and the music was phenomenal but the production was lousy. I didn't get the impression that Rasika as an organization has the same sort of standards for putting on a show that a theater does. Regardless, I'll be marking my calendar for April 10th!

http://www.rasika.org
    http://www.mandolinshrinivas.com/

NFI, and all that.

Christian
    Christian McKee

Member, The Big North Duo
    Musical Director, The Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

Default Re: Mandolin U. Srinivas to tour US

So far I've found April 10th in Portland (www.rasika.org for more info) and Friday, April 9th in the Seattle area - Kirkland Performance Center, 7pm. Trying to find these performance dates is proving to be a challenge, but I'll post what I find here. People who are ready to have their musical and mandolinical horizons expanded a bit won't want to miss him.

Christian
    Christian McKee

I saw him years ago (maybe 5 or 6?) in Houston with Remember Shakti. It was U. Srinivas, John McLaughlin, and two drummers (Zakir Hussain and V. Selvaganesh). The two "youngsters" were right there with McLaughlin and Hussain every step of the way.

If you get the chance, go check him out. He's a master of his instrument.

There's a recent (Jan 2009) photo on the Wikipedia page of him playing an instrument that is not the one we are so familiar with.

Will be seeing him in Kirkland WA on April 9th. Can't wait... I've been listening to his playing for almost 20 years now but have never had a chance to see him... finally!

I have to admit I'm pretty indifferent to the Shamax hachets he's usually seen with, but that thing looks pretty tasty! I'm now all the more excited for April 10, thanks Jeff!
    Christian McKee

That looks like Srinivas' Mike Sabre mandolin. Mike Sabre also built John McLaughlin's awesome electric guitar that he played with Remember Shakti.
    http://www.mike-sabre.com/Instrument...mentspast.html
    I'm bummed though, I don't think I'll be able to make it to Kirkland or Portland.

Very cool, it certainly does look like the Mike Sabre.

emando has the instrument under Mike Sabre builder and linked to Srinivas, but Srinivas is not linked back (couldn't have found Sabre as builder by looking at Srinivas entry).

Gorgeous....

Quote Originally Posted by jefflester View Post
    ...but Srinivas is not linked back (couldn't have found Sabre as builder by looking at Srinivas entry).
    This seems to be par for the course with Srinivas, I've never had such a hard time finding current information online about a (reasonably) prominent musician. It makes me want to volunteer to handle web updates for him in exchange for, let's say: a copy of his recorded discography to date, and lifetime tickets (no VIP access necessary!) to his performances. Anyone? Anyone?

Of course, this post should not be considered contractual...

Christian
    Christian McKee

Christian, you're hired as far as I'm concerned. That discography's pretty extensive; I hear you can buy Srinivas CDs by the stack back in Chennai. Someone needs to put together a U.S. festival tour for Srinivas; he could easily fit in at some of the trippier/more eclectic events like LEAF in Asheville, etc.

Glassweb: it'll be pretty easy for non-Indians to spot each other at this gig. I'll wear a Cafe hat if I'm able to go.

Both times I've seen Srinivas, he and Rajesh were packing twin Sahmaxes.

The sponsoring organization in Kirkland isn't Rasika, it's Abhinay Fine Arts. And there's a dinner reception!
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

That is a really handsome mandolin.

Srinivas and Rajesh played Shamaxes on Saturday night in Portland, right into the PA. The music was phenomenal, the sound (in the first few pews on the floor) was pretty washy, and the concert was plagued by badly, badly, BADLY behaved children who's parents didn't seem to care. A mixed experience overall, but what amazing musicians.

Christian
    Christian McKee

I saw him in Kirkland on Friday night... a lifetime concert for me. I won't try and describe how amazing this musician and his music are, or how he does what he does. But I will say this... if you ever have a chance to see/hear this amazing artist - DO IT! You will not regret the experience...

Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it to Kirkland ... but based on the two previous Srinivas shows I've seen, I fully agree with Glassweb. Too bad about the annoying kids in Portland.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Default Re: Mandolin U. Srinivas to tour US - here on MAR 1, 2011 DC

YOu can watch Mandolin Shrinivas at Kennedy Center at Washington DC on March 1, 2011 at 6pm EST.
    It is also being webcast live!!
    here's the link! enjoy!

http://www.kennedy-center.org/explor...&source_type=B

Srinivas is gearing up for another U.S. tour! Returning to Portland May 19:

http://www.rasika.org/singleevent/ev...o-u-shrinivas/

Thanks for the tip, Martin. I'll see if I can generate some interest among the mandolin orchestra membership...
    Christian McKee

I'd be surprised if Brian doesn't know something about Srinivas. I emailed Rasika and they said there might be a Seattle show on the 17th.

Folks: Mandolin U. Srinivas is performing with Mandolin U. Rajesh at the Hoff Theatre, University of Maryland on June 2nd, 2013 Sunday at 4 PM. This is organized as a fund raising event by Samskrita Bharati. Proceeds go towards teaching and propagation of the Sanskrit Language.

Please mark your calendar. Will send you more info on tickets in a week or so. In the mean time feel free to contact me.
    Natesa Janakiraman at 703-915-4414 or Natesa.Janakiraman@google.com.

Default Mandolin U. Srinivas Portland, OR concert and US 2013 tour

19 MAY 2013: RASIKA (www.rasika.org) presents Mandolin Maestro Shrinivas and his brother Rajesh on Mandolins accompanied by two percussionists from India in Portland, OR. Venue: Valley Catholic School, Beaverton. Email rasikapdx@gmail.com for more details.
    Rasika is also the national US tour sponsor for this illustrious and charismatic performer. Visit www.rasika.org for details. Contact Rasika to learn about all the cities Shrinivas is performing on this April-May 2013 tour.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	event-78.jpg 
Views:	1802 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	100559

Mandolin Shrinivas & Rajesh, RASIKA 2013

Any plans to visit L.A.?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    Any plans to visit L.A.?
    To date their itinerary is : May 4th - Boston, May 5th - New Jersey, May 11th - Detroit, May 12th - Dallas, May 17th - Austin, May 18th - Bay Area, May 19th - Portland, May 26th - Toronto, June 1st - Philadelphia and June 2nd - Washington, D.C.

24. The following members say thank you to flashrules for this post:

jmp 

Quote Originally Posted by flashrules View Post
    To date their itinerary is : May 4th - Boston, May 5th - New Jersey, May 11th - Detroit, May 12th - Dallas, May 17th - Austin, May 18th - Bay Area, May 19th - Portland, May 26th - Toronto, June 1st - Philadelphia and June 2nd - Washington, D.C.
    Do you have pointers to information about the May 18th - Bay Area date? I could not find anything on google.

Quote Originally Posted by jmp View Post
    Do you have pointers to information about the May 18th - Bay Area date? I could not find anything on google.
    Here you go..
    https://mycity.sulekha.com/sri-u-shr...lin_buy_613391