Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Golden Phoenix Mandolin

Default Re: Golden Phoenix Mandolin

Just found out a bit more. After reading through Phoenix's website, it appears that I have the second instrument made by Phoenix after it changed names to Phoenix from Unicorn. It says that Rofle made his 149th instrument before Unicorn was sold. I have just purchased 151, so I am assuming that I have the instrument the it is discussed in the about us section on Phoenix's site. I am thinking that mine is one of the two prototypes that have ended up being his Ultra series. Wow, I am not going to be able to sleep tonight. Probably will have to cash out my secret savings account. I read on the site where the radiused fingerboard is to make the instrument easier to play.

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    Why the fanned frets? Anyone know?
    According to Wikipedia, fanned frets were first used on a variant of the cittern back in the 16th century. Rickenbacker made guitars with fanned frets in the 60's, but they are most associated today with Novax brand guitars. The idea is to improve tone by having the bass strings actually have a longer scale length than the treble strings.

Quote Originally Posted by auburnboy View Post
    Just found out a bit more. After reading through Phoenix's website, it appears that I have the second instrument made by Phoenix after it changed names to Phoenix from Unicorn. It says that Rofle made his 149th instrument before Unicorn was sold. I have just purchased 151, so I am assuming that I have the instrument the it is discussed in the about us section on Phoenix's site. I am thinking that mine is one of the two prototypes that have ended up being his Ultra series. Wow, I am not going to be able to sleep tonight. Probably will have to cash out my secret savings account. I read on the site where the radiused fingerboard is to make the instrument easier to play.
    Congratulations! I owned #159, also an Ultra, for about a year (see avatar). It was a great mandolin and I reluctantly parted with it because I was playing mostly bluegrass and wanted a mandolin for that specific purpose. The nice thing about the Phoenix was that it was okay for bluegrass (just didn't have the big chop) and everything else. It had a unique sound and if I could only have one mandolin for everything, the Phoenix would have been an excellent choice. It's at Elderly now and if I come into some unexpected money, I'd buy it back in an instant.

Mine was made in 1995 and the top was made of Douglas Fir, from the same stash the Unicorn mandolins were made from. I suspect yours is made from the same wood.

What a score! Well done!

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Well after many payments over the last several months, the Golden Phoenix is now mine. Now I almost feel like I should get rid of it. This Mando is awesome and I stink... Here are some pics like I promised.

Wow- don't sell that beauty! You got a deal and a half!! I love my Phoenix- easiest playing mando I've ever touched.

Rolfe's mandolins are all precision instruments. He is a meticulous builder. I own ## 164 & 301. Both outstanding mandolins.

Sadly, if I cannot sell my Moonbeam, which plays elegantly, then I will have to part ways with this beauty. I don't want to, but I gotta buy a new guitar, last one was broken by accident, and I need the dough.

Blog Entries

I've got #250, an Ultra. I love the way it sounds. I love the way it plays. I understand about finances, but I hope you find a way to keep yours.

oops--I see it in the classifieds. So sorry that it didn't work out for you.
    Last edited by pickloser; Jun-03-2010 at 7:39am. Reason: looked at classifieds

Yes, Sadly I have had no one contact me about the Moonbeam, so I gotta sell the Phoenix.

Looks they were both sold, to Dennis at the Mandolin Store.

http://www.themandolinstore.com/scri...?idCategory=54
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga