Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sam Bush Fern '34 LE

Default Re: Sam Bush Fern '34 LE

#14, what is the date on the label, in your mandolin, that is signed by Sam Bush?

#14, what is the date written on the label signed by Sam Bush in your mandolin. The 34 Sam Bush Fern mandolin for sale on Reverb is Pilot #8 and was signed April 22, 2009. Mario you have pilot #11 and Benski has pilot #2, What date were your mandolins signed. There is a very cool video on YouTube titled "the golden signature". It is a video of Dave Harvey dropping off 8 mandolin to Sam Bush for him to sign. It is dated May 1, 2009. Anyone have a signature date of May 1st. One of those mandolins could be yours. He is playing a mandolin and he and Dave Harvey mention that the mandolin is going to "Jim Elder". Has anyone heard of him?

Quote Originally Posted by glabbe View Post
    Benski - If I am right you have the first production 34 SB Fern. If "pilot #2" was the second 34 SB Fern made, Sam Bush got number 1 or "pilot #1". Which would mean that you have this first production model sold to the public.
    Wow...now wouldn't that be cool!

Alright, now we're getting somewhere!

So, what we've got so far:

Serial Number Date
    Pilot 2 April 14, 2009
    Pilot 8 April 22, 2009
    Pilot 11
    Pilot 14
    Pilot (?) 22

Anybody else out there?
    2017 Ellis F5 Special #438

My date is: April 20 2009

OK...updated....hopefully we will get more.

And still hoping that someone can provide some definitive insight into this pilot thing....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bush Fern Dates.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	182287

Alright Mario we need your input on the date you pilot #11 was signed. I believe that it is inside the mandolin on the label that Sam Bush signed. Mario I know it takes a little while for information on the interweb to get all the way over to Italy, but we need to hear from you.

Also is Jim Elder out there? Dave Harvey and Sam Bush, in the YouTube video "The Golden Signature", discusses the mandolin that Sam is playing and signing, and they mention that the mandolin was going to Jim Elder. So, Jim, What number did you get, what was the serial number, and what date was it signed. I am guessing May, 1st 2009.

I am going to try to call the Mandolin Store. I don't know if they are open on Sunday. I am sure they have a record of the serial number for the 31 SB Fern #22. I just don't know if they would be willing to spend the time to help with this question.

I'm refretting and fitting a cumberland bridge to Pilot #16, signed June 11, 09. I'm not the owner, just the instrument technician. Not sure if the owner wants to bandy his name about.....but I can ask.

Thanks, Karl. Much obliged. Please mention this thread to the current owner...would be fun to get his/her input. As far as the "pilot" designation goes, its starting to look like all 25 of the Bush Ferns had this as part of their serial numbers. Further, it appears that "pilot" was used for other Gibson special runs, including guitars. Somebody correct me if this info is incorrect. Cheers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spreadsheet2.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	183074

9. The following members say thank you to Benski for this post:

I have pilot #2. I bought it used in 2020 and it had barely been played. Signed April 14,2009. After I had it for a year, large pieces of Finnish fell off the back of the neck so I had to make it a”speed neck, stained to match, and finished with gun stock oil. That came out well and I am enjoying thoroughly.