Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Player

Default Player

I've got a question for you experts. Is there one make/model that is considered "[the] best playing mando for the money?" Specifically, is there one make that just easily stands out as the best playing and sounding instrument but without costing the first born? I'm relatively new to all this so thought it would be interesting to see if there is a general similarity to your collective thoughts. Thanks for your input. I hope it helps to unravel the confusion in my search.

Default Re: Player

Ha, ha, ha, ha.
    Good luck getting any type of consensus.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Todd View Post
    Is there one make/model that is considered "[the] best playing mando for the money?" ...if there is a general similarity to your collective thoughts.

stop.....milk coming out the nose...sides hurt..
    1950 Gibson A-5
    1996 Flatiron Performer A
    2001 Flatiron Performer A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.
    -Unknown

Hey Steven!
    The first clarifying question usually asked is: What's your price range?
    That is normally followed with a suggestion to search through the old posts because this topic gets brought up a bunch.
    That is usually followed by lots of banter with very little consensus. Most of the discussion will hinge on the price range you are looking at.

my personal response would be either the make/model that the particular person currently owns, or the make/model they are thinking about buying.
    Good luck, and take 'er easy!

Steven please don't take offense at our responses, it is just that questions about what is the best for x-type of music or for x number of dollars or several other criteria are common and there is not really any consensus because "best" is just too subjective.
    When good, inexpensive mandolins is the topic there are generally a few brands that get mentioned the most. These would be Kentucky, Eastman and perhaps J. Bovier for carved top/back instruments. For flattops Big Muddy (used to be Mid-Mo), Gypsy, Redline Traveler.
    Then of course the fact that amongst carved top/back instruments you get more "bang for the buck" with a-styles instead of f-styles and you can find some very good used instruments in the classifieds.
    Good luck finding what you are looking for, both in mandolins and answers.

Bill

What color do you like? Who's your favorite actor? How do you like your eggs cooked? Etc.,etc.

A. This should be in the "general" forum, since it's not directly related to builder/repair issues.
    B. What we're all trying to say, with our feeble attempts at humor, is that preferences as to instruments are matters of taste, and individual tastes vary all over the map.
    C. If you do some searches on "best mandolin for $500" or some such, you'll find a variety of strongly-expressed opinions, but no true consensus. Which is totally valid, and predictable.
    D. The best way to answer your question, is not really to ask others to opine on the subject, but to hie thee to as many dealers as you can reach, and play every mandolin in your price range that you can find. That's the "search" that you need to make.
    E. You will find, as you page through an endless succession of "best mandolin" threads, that certain brands crop up frequently. In the lower end, Kentucky and Rover. In the mid-range, Kentucky, Eastman, Big Muddy, The Loar, Jade and JBovier. At the higher, but not small-builder, end, Gibson, Collings, Breedlove, Weber. And of course, many smaller-scale builders, "one-ofs," and individual luthiers; my apologies to all I've omitted.
    F. There is so much variation, among individual instruments, even those of the same brand and model, that generalizations about "the best this" or "the worst that" are iffy at best. There's no substitute for hands-on investigation. There's no consensus about which brand or model is best. And, I hate to break it to ya, but about Santa Claus...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I figured you who answered under "Builders and Repair" might be a little more serious minded about this question. I get the point though. I guess everyone would like an instrument that plays like butter and rings like the Liberty Bell for 100 bucks! I have a relatively inexpensive 1921 A Gibson that sounds and plays well now but will no doubt benefit greatly with new frets. I always hear the name "Gibson" as the old standard, but just wanted to see if one brand stands out consistently and why...from a builder's standpoint. Perhaps the question, "why does Gilchrist warrant such attention over all the rest?" Is it the quality of workmanship, materials, playability, or the name or what? I suppose you will say "all of the above" but I just figure there should be a really excellent player available without the hype. Price is not the concern as much as getting an instrument that there is absolutely no question about the overall value as a great player. Like I said, I get the point, and no offense taken. I appreciate the input from a novice's standpoint and ask these questions to learn from you guys who know. Thanks

don't overlook all of us hobby builders either....check out the BUILDERS list above in your own area....
    kterry

Blog Entries

Is it the quality of workmanship, materials, playability, or the name or what? I suppose you will say "all of the above" but I just figure there should be a really excellent player available without the hype. Price is not the concern as much as getting an instrument that there is absolutely no question about the overall value as a great player.
    The thing is that there are many excellent players, some of which you will love, some of which you would not like as much, some of which have qualities that only become apparent after playing a while, some of which have qualities that are obvious. Up where the air is thin there are subtle differences for those with very specific tone or playability or projection or sustain or visual criteria.

I don't believe in a holy grail, either in one instrument that everyone would agree is the best, or that there is a single best mandolin for a particular musician.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

One aspect that has been mentioned but should be reinforced is that most all mandolins tend to vary somewhat. The tone you get from a good Gibson is not necessarily going to come from the next Gibson you pick up, even if they are the same model. It is hard to best a really good Gibson, but there are makers that can match the best. This is a golden age for mandolin development, but there are quite a few clunkers out there too. So, you have to try some out until you find one that really speaks to you. It will feel "right" in your hands, sound wonderful, and play fluidly. It will have whatever it is that floats YOUR boat, and yet may not be so well regarded by the next person.

I'm not picking on Gibson here, just using them as an example because they are the big dog and the benchmark by which most all mandolins are compared.

I've got a question for you experts. Is there one make/model that is considered "[the] best playing mando for the money?" Specifically, is there one make that just easily stands out as the best playing and sounding instrument but without costing the first born? I'm relatively new to all this so thought it would be interesting to see if there is a general similarity to your collective thoughts. Thanks for your input. I hope it helps to unravel the confusion in my search.
    Steven

Here is a video for you, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkKrv8bVjns At two minutes into the video the mandolin player takes a break on a Kentucky mandolin. IMHO, he is pulling some great tone.

I have an Eastman that I use and am very happy with how it plays, its tone, and the quality of the build. I paid $500 for it 5 years ago.

Nice post Chuck. I don't know if that would have been any better with a $10k mandolin.

Blog Entries

Just remember, the Liberty Bell is cracked, and hasn't been repaired by a competent bell maker, yet. I'm going to leave this discussion here. I rather doubt you will get a list of 1 or 2 names. Way too many personal preference variables here. The nice thing is there are so many good builders that getting your needs met is possible with some homework, patience, and time.

Sadly, this process often takes us going through some different mandolins before we find the kind that fits us the best. Then if you get the MAS bug (I think most of us suffer at some point of compulsive buying, selling, trading, regretting, celebrating) matters get more complicated. Try and play as many different instruments as you can and see what starts to separate from the herd as your fit and tone. While these are rare to have, mandolin tasting parties are exceptionally valuable in this effort.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Wait for it...wait for it...
    Living’ in the Mitten

Steve, Thats why us mandolin players are mostly broke, we get a mandolin and think "this the one" and then we hear another that sounds better to our ears than what we have so we buy another one etc....I have four F models sitting around this house and I always thought the newest one was the best sounding mandolin so I bought it....I don`t know if there is an answer to your question or not, I don`t have it thats for sure....Just try as many a you can and when one of them "knocks your socks off" buy it, but something will come along later that will sound better to you, so join the club....Good luck....Willie

First of all I can't speak from a builders perspective (as if all builders agree on anything) but "Best value" really has to be defined for any good answer to your question. Does the value come from the tone or the resale value? Are you talking about a $500 mando or a $80,000 one. The answer will be different for each.

You are correct that Gibson traditionally has been the standard for mandolins in american roots music but the standard can be different for other types of music.

If you truly feel that "Price is not the concern as much as getting an instrument that there is absolutely no question about the overall value as a great player." Buy a Gilchrist. I'm sure you'll be happy with it. On the other hand you might feel you get more value from buying 3 or 4 other hand made instruments with the same amount of money.

There are more great choices now than any other time in history so go crazy.

Exclamation Re: Player

I had two mandolins for awhile, and I was sure the I liked the newer one more
    . . . until the day I had to pack up the older one to ship to a buyer. Ohhhh, it sounded good before I forced myself to put it away, close up the case and pack the shipping box.

And I still wonder if I did the right thing.

Sure glad I don't have W(ife)AS -- that would be much more expensive and still result in the same dilemma.

Steve

GIBSON ! of course! Just kidding around. Seriously...go out there and play as many as you can and get a hands on experience. If you want to stear clear of the high end big dogs, save a few bucks and still get a tone you feel you can live with... check out: Kentucky, Jade, Michael Kelly, the (new) Flatiron & Eastman, to name a few to try to keep it under 1K. But you'll need to try em out. It's a no brainer that buying used is the best deal $$ wise. Keep searching and playing till one just feels and plays right for you. Good luck in your quest.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

[QUOTE=allenhopkins;740083]B. What we're all trying to say, with our feeble attempts at humor, is that preferences as to instruments are matters of taste, and individual tastes vary all over the map.

Allen is either trying to be diplomatic, or he is the only one on earth who hasn't heard the news. It is completely unanimous across the entire human race that the McGillicuddy F-6 is head and shoulders above any other mandolin for playability and tone. It is even said that the crack in the Liberty Bell was put there by the force of a chop chord from an F-6. No kidding.

Blog Entries

getting an instrument that there is absolutely no question about the overall value as a great player.
    No question in whose mind. Get the one you like best, then there is no question in your mind. Nobody is going to tell you that you could have done better. Nobody is going to think. Or more likely, some folks are going to think you could have done better no matter what you buy.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Allen is either trying to be diplomatic, or he is the only one on earth who hasn't heard the news. It is completely unanimous across the entire human race that the McGillicuddy F-6 is head and shoulders above any other mandolin for playability and tone.
    You're wrong, Skua Breath. It's the Shmergel Devastator, the new one with the polycarbonate truss rod cover and Hans Shmergel's profile inlaid into the pickguard in amber abalone.

If picking a mandolin's only a matter of taste, why shouldn't my taste be taken as the gold standard? Everyone else seems to think that the mandolin they play/like/desire is the "best" mandolin, so why not my Devastator?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

The homework continues. Sometimes looking is the more enjoyable part, especially when you end up making a wise decision and get exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the input.......most of you, anyway. Good information.

"rings like the Liberty Bell"

Yeah, with a big crack in it!