Thread: Aaron Weinstein "Itīs Only A Paper Moon"

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Thumbs up Aaron Weinstein "Itīs Only A Paper Moon"

Folks, listen to this:

If you go to the tube, there are four videos by him under "jazzmandolin" and at least one more from a different poster there with him on fiddle with Don Stiernberg on mando.

This is one great video (just a little too fast... or not...). It has both my thumbs up!

----------------- edit ----------------------
    I just googled him up. Heīs 24 years old it seems. I wish him a long happy and successful career and may he pass his gift along generously to folks to carry on.

Hereīs his website: http://www.aaronweinstein.net/_jazz/hvjazz.html
    Olaf

2. The following members say thank you to grassrootphilosopher for this post:

Default Re: Aaron Weinstein "Itīs Only A Paper Moon"

Nice job! Damn, this is one of my favorite tunes from that pile of 30's and 40's music. Just a fun, bouncy tune, with a great set of lyrics to go with it. Thanks to Aaron for having the camera angle on this set so we can watch his choice of chords for voicing, passing chords and bass lines. My only comment on his version, passed on with only the best of intentions, would be that it seems to need a bit more 'bounce' or 'swing' to my ear, slightly slower, maybe accentuate the bass line a bit more? Of course, given his performance schedule,and the folks he is playing with, I'm certainly not a player that should be giving him advice! Though I realize that the mic-ing of this was probably his computer. Keep it up Aaron!

In view of Aaron's fabulous rendition here, and mindful of Don Stiernberg's advice about doing a chordal version of (what's it all about) Alfie, does anybody have any suggestion for acheinving those lovely smooth base movements?

My guess would be that he just transposed Freddie Green style guitar to the mandolin. I like it!

And I take the video for what it is: A great impromptu rendition of an old classic.

If I were to think about how Iīd tackle this tune... Iīd come up with an entirely different approach. Iīd play it a lot more slowly, with a heavier rythm, maybe a little Eddie Lang like..., crooning the melody...

But well, that wouldnīt be the sazzy, hip and daredevil aproach of Aaron Weinstein. This is a guy that I could well imagine to visit a concert of. It wouldnīt hurt to see him play with Bucky Pizzarelli. (And how about a collaboration with Coco Schumann. That would get my adrenalin to move)
    Olaf

True enough. Gotta love Bucky P. And certainly no slam intended to Aaron in my previous post. I too, would play it slower, but that's only me.

Blog Entries

He's not even a full time mandolinist, violin is his main axe, if that makes you feel any better (or worse!).

Great musician and great guy (I knew him when he was at Berklee a few years ago).

Blog Entries

Hi Everyone. Aaron Weinstein here. I want to thank ya'll for your feedback about this video. And yes, perhaps I should have played the song a bit slower.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWeinstein View Post
    Hi Everyone. Aaron Weinstein here. I want to thank ya'll for your feedback about this video. And yes, perhaps I should have played the song a bit slower.
    Thankīs for posting the videos. And donīt take it all tooooo serious what we all say. Think of my Germanīs knack for overanalyzing (think Habermas, Schopenhauer, Kant...)

I am really looking forward to more videos of that sort (exploring the possibilities of tempo, rythm, chord shapes etc.)

And just as a hint, if youīre ever able to chatch Coco Schumann, go for it. There was great polish jazz and tango up to the 40ies too.
    Olaf

Aaron,
    We will all forgive you for playing the tune too fast if you tab out the first part for us. Honest we will.

Blog Entries

Great tune and great rendition. Love those chord changes! I agree- Tab needed!
    BRW SP-H3 2 point
    BRW LP-H3 2 point
    Weber Bighorn oval hole
    Weber Bighorn Mandola
    Weber Octar D-hole
    -------------------
    "The creative is the place no one else has ever been... What you will discover will be wonderful; it will be yourself." Alan Alda

Blog Entries

When there's music that I want to get under my fingers I find that I often learn so much more by transcribing it myself than if I were to simply learn it from someone else's transcription.

Happy transcribing!

When there's music that I want to get under my fingers I find that I often learn so much more by transcribing it myself than if I were to simply learn it from someone else's transcription.

Happy transcribing!
    Ahhh, so you do know Professor McGann, eh??

Great work, man...thanks for the videos!

(By the way, I agree with your advice, but for us mere mortals that can sometimes be a daunting task ).

Chuck

Gotta admit you're right about transcribing Aaron - and it is really great to have this video to work with. Thanks.
    *mandolin mind, beginner mind*

Happy transcribing!
    Well said. One might also want to learn to play by ear.
    Olaf