Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don't do this!!!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Don't do this!!!

I've used a very soft make up brush to dust around tuner pegs (while strings are on). I'll also use that (similar to Rolfe's shaving brush but even finer and softer) to get neat the bridge and tailpiece. I have a microfiber cloth that I can even thread mostly between the strings and the top to tidy up that space. I've only used a damp washcloth, well wrung out, to get away schmutz.

In other threads, if the stuff is very gunky and warm water (or Hans' Ivory liquid method) don't work, naptha has been proposed.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

[QUOTE=Mandoist;730852]In the last 30+ years, I never go anywhere without my old-fashioned cotton baby diaper. Never leave home without it.

I agree with you Mandoist. I also use one to wipe the strings after playing.
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by Tim2723 View Post
    I believe you'll find that the temperature gradient is only 40 to 50 degrees (F). Enough to affect varnish maybe, but not enough to kill living tissue.
    Only 40-50 degrees?
    Try spaying your arm. You will probably get a nice freeze burn.

Destroyer of Mandolins

Quote Originally Posted by danb View Post
    Actually I learned the hard way that's not true! An office gag we had was to super-cool a plant/flower/leaf and flick with the finger and it woudl shatter after being frozen. Holding the can upside down and doing a little "poof" surprise on my leg by a cube neighbor earned me a little patch of frotsbite that turned grey and required minor medical attention!
    OK, that's not the same as spraying compressed air out of an aerosol can though. That's the same principle used for cryogenic wart removers where supercooling is involved. That's very dangerous and nothing to be horsed around with. Nobody should do that.

Spraying simple compressed air won't hurt you any more than blowing dust off yourself with a shop air hose. Not the wisest thing, but generally harmless.

Electronics cleaner (Joe's most likely case) could wreck a finish because there's a solvent involved. Spraying it on your skin from a couple of inches away is uncomfortable, but has no lasting effect.

Purposely discharging the propellant at point-blank range is irresponsible and dangerous to the point of stupidity. Keep it out of reach of children and dumb co-workers.
    Last edited by Tim2723; Nov-06-2009 at 9:35am.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

I have a nice rag with Carmel Music on it, soft. I like the baby diaper, too. And it brings back memories...

Second the cloth diapers (for the memories, also to embarass a 15-yr-old if I get the chance). All in favor?

I have a remnant of a special old t-shirt from '78 or '79, when DGQ came to Memorial Hall at UNC. All that's left is most of the logo - a cartoon dog playing an F-5. I don't really use it to clean my mando (see cloth diaper reference, above). It just lives in the case for mojo. Like a rattlesnake rattle, I reckon.
    Clark Beavans

Quote Originally Posted by tree View Post
    Second the cloth diapers (for the memories, also to embarass a 15-yr-old if I get the chance). All in favor?

I have a remnant of a special old t-shirt from '78 or '79, when DGQ came to Memorial Hall at UNC. All that's left is most of the logo - a cartoon dog playing an F-5.
    Likely the artist was Tom Rozum for that. And that Chapel Hill show must have been the original DGQ, with Rice...how cool.

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    I believe it was the cold that killed the finish more than anything else. Those cans of compressed air really cool things off fast. Your Chemistry will remind you that PV = nRT (the ideal gas law) which relates pressure, volume and temperature. As high pressure gas escapes to a larger volume the temperature drops (cracking finish and killing hair follicles).

Jamie
    That is the first thing I thought of, it wasn't chemicals but sudden cold. I have used canned air on photo equipment for decades and know well how cold the air blast can be.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Don't use the same cloth that you use to clean your fiddle. The rosin residue that is inevitably left on it won't make your mandolin look good.

My banjo player paints in watercolours. I swiped one of his wash brushes exactly the right width for dusting the strings. See...they are good for something!
    Getting there...

I've used Murphy's soap and water with a cotton cloth for forty years on every kind of stringed instrument you can think of (I wish I had them all back ) and have never had any problems with it.

I use Scott Shop Towels on my varnish finish F-5 MM. They are felted (non-woven), so won't scratch like a regular paper towel. Keep a couple folded up into a little square in my case pocket. Replace them every so often, otherwise you're just redistributing the gunk. Got the tip from Frank Ford's website:
    http://frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician...leaning01.html

I've used microfiber cloths also, but as someone mentioned it's important to make sure no debris gets on it that could cling and then scratch the finish.
    John Kasley
    Williamsburg, VA

I third/fourth the use of a cloth diaper (yes, it too brings back memories) and second the use of Murphy's Oil Soap. I use that stuff for everything, even cleaned my bike with it.
    "When I heard what Socrates had done on the lyre, I wished indeed even [I had done] that...but certainly I labored hard in letters!" - Cicero, "Cato the Elder on Old Age"
    Weber Gallatin Mahogany F
    19th Century Ferrari(?) Bowlback
    Early 20th Century British Mandoline-Banjo & Deering Goodtime Tenor
    1960s Harmony Baritone Ukelele
    The Magic Fluke Flea Soprano Ukelele (in 5ths!)
    1910 German Stradivarius 1717 copy, unknown maker
    1890(?) German Stradivarius 1725 copy, G.A. Pfreztschner, maker

I can't believe you people clean at all...

And, Tim, fyi, those cans of propellant will shoot small twisted wads of paper fairly accurately up to 15 feet or so...stupid or not (no, we never shot them from pbr), that was some good fun!!
    Chuck

I used to use cotton diaper. However, it has been 30 years since any of my kids have needed them. I had enough of them in those days....I don't even want to think about that again
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoviol View Post
    I third/fourth the use of a cloth diaper (yes, it too brings back memories) and second the use of Murphy's Oil Soap. I use that stuff for everything, even cleaned my bike with it.

For those who think Murphy's Oil Soap is good for their instruments..."David Harvey's Jubilee Cleaner/Polish" (and any truly nonbuild-up product) will show you just how many layers of that stuff you've rubbed onto your finishes!'

Nix on Murphy's...and most products claiming they are a "polish" or "cleaner".

I agree with Rolfe's and Jamie on using a soft brush something like a 1" Anderson 409. I use mine on tiny delicate wooden carvings as well.

Blog Entries

Thanks to Big Joe, Rolfe, Hans and the many expert luthiers who share their vast knowledge so freely here on the Café. Posts like this can save many people lots of heartache and hassle!

Still a mandolin fighter Mandophyte's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoviol View Post
    I actually use a pseudo chamois on my mandolin.
    Be careful with pseudo chamois!

I used some to replace the bit of felt under the tailpiece of my Tonewood AM20-S (Yes a cheapy!) and few weeks later I came home to broken A and E strings.

The stuff's hygroscopic and the strings had rusted through!
    John

Social Groups: FFcP, A Song-a-Week
    ABC. Notation for the tabophobic: ABC intro, ABCexplorer, Making Music with ABC Plus by Guido Gonzato.
    FFcP: Just do it! (Any genre, (Honest!) just ignore the jazz references.)
    Eastman 604, 2007 | Thomas Buchanan Octave Mandolin, 2010