Thread: Water based finish.

Default Water based finish.

Just wondering if anyone here use water based finishes on their instruments. If so what brand? And does water based offer the ability to rub out like standard lacquers? Is the hardness comparable to solvent based finishes. I'm also looking at a HVLP gravity feed gun for use with a compressor. Anything i need to know about water based and spray guns? Do I need a special gun?...Thanks Mike

Violins and Mandolins Stephanie Reiser's Avatar

Default Re: Water based finish.

I use Stew-Mac's water-based varnish on mandolins and their water-based laquer on guitars (preceded by water-based sanding sealer) and I spray all of it on. I currently use Stew-Mac's small gun for stain and finish, but will be using an airbrush for stain on the next mando, this summer.
    I wet-sand when the finish hardens, around ten days afterward, and then I buff it out.
    http://www.stephaniereiser.com then click mandolins

Thanks for replying...mike

Hi Mike,
    Send me your e-mail, and I will send you the workshop handouts I have on how to use KTM-SV on mandolins and guitars with equipment suggestions. I've been quite pleased with KTM-SV, a product of Grafted Coatings and have been using it for a couple of years on more than fifty mandolins and recently on some ukuleles.
    Rolfe Gerhardt

Rolfe, any issues with witness lines as with the 4a and 9? Have they gotten it to melt in at all with the SV?

Alan D.

Hi Alan,
    Totally different product from 4a or 9, so no witness lines. The only issue I've come across is a strange pattern forming with acidic woods (Macassar, Brazilian, etc.) when I sealed with an undercoat of waterborne shellac. With regular solvent shellac (two coats), the sealing works fine and the finish is gorgeous. None of the waterbornes melt like shellac or lacquer, but the best ones buff beautifully with any hint of witness line disappearing and then later repair with only the slightest line between new repair and old finish.
    Rolfe Gerhardt

Quote Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
    Hi Mike,
    Send me your e-mail, and I will send you the workshop handouts I have on how to use KTM-SV on mandolins and guitars with equipment suggestions. I've been quite pleased with KTM-SV, a product of Grafted Coatings and have been using it for a couple of years on more than fifty mandolins and recently on some ukuleles.
    Rolfe I sent you a pm with my email...Thanks