Thread: String tension on an OM vs a mando

Default String tension on an OM vs a mando

just to clarify: the string tension is lower on a octave mando than on a regular mandolin, correct?
    Angel Cruz
    Russ Morin Resonator Ukulele, Coqui Cuatro, RiveraIntruments Cuatro, Manuel Morgado Cuatro, '09 Gypsy Octave Mandolin #110909047, '09 Redline Traveler #36, '82 Flatiron 1N #82081665, Morgan Monroe MMR-2

Default Re: String tension on an OM vs a mando

No, it's about the same tension, at least it is on my OM. I use a set of .012, .022, .032, .046 strings on my 22.5" scale Weber OM. That totals roughly 178 lbs. total tension.

D'Addario J74's, which are probably the closest thing to a standard set of mandolin strings, is 181.6 lbs. So it's in the same ballpark.

The finger feel is very different though. With the longer scale, it's a little more stretchy in the middle of the neck. It's more like the finger feel of a guitar string. I can do things on my OM like bends, hammer-ons and pull-offs that I don't try on mandolin because the short scale (at the same tension) feels more like a cheese slicer against my fingers.

that is interesting; your last paragraph says it all. who would have thunk... thx.
    Angel Cruz
    Russ Morin Resonator Ukulele, Coqui Cuatro, RiveraIntruments Cuatro, Manuel Morgado Cuatro, '09 Gypsy Octave Mandolin #110909047, '09 Redline Traveler #36, '82 Flatiron 1N #82081665, Morgan Monroe MMR-2

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Some tension calculator on the web says my OM with 21" scale length and gauges 56, 39, 26, 15 adds up to 227 lbs.

Slicing cheese is something I still have to try with that
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world