Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zoom H2/H4 recorders

Default Zoom H2/H4 recorders

Greetings:

I am interested in feedback/advice/experience with handheld field recorders specifically but not limited to the Zoom H2/H4.

Thanks

Mike

Registered User Douglas McMullin's Avatar

Default Re: Zoom H2/H4 recorders

I tried a bunch out last winter (borrowed from friends), did some reading, and looked at every user and professional review that I could find, and from that I ended up with a Edirol R-09HR. I think I would have been happy with either of the Zooms or the Tascam units I tried, but the Edirol had a few more features that I liked and the pro reviews gave it the best marks for recording quality.

I've had am H2 for two years and love it. I've plunked it down in so many environements (live shows, jams, band practice, bars, living rooms, etc) and the "Auto" settings pull in a very good capture of the music.

fits in a mandolin case too...

After writing my comment above I took a look at the Edrirol (Roland) site looking for a software update for my recorder. I was very happy to find that the new 2.0 update includes are surprisingly good tuner, a basic metronome, and some other features. Nice to have all of that built into one unit.

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

I have a Zoom H2 and have found it ideal for recording at home and capturing sessions and jams. The sound quality is good and the unit is versatile and small making it handy to keep with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas McMullin View Post
    After writing my comment above I took a look at the Edrirol (Roland) site looking for a software update for my recorder. I was very happy to find that the new 2.0 update includes are surprisingly good tuner, a basic metronome, and some other features. Nice to have all of that built into one unit.
    The Zoom H2 has the tuner and Metronome and while I used them a few times mostly I just record with it.

What I like about the H2 is you can focus the area you want to record and block out what is behind you or most of it anyways. Like if you are at a concert you want to record what is in front of you and not the couple behind you talking.

And when you are in like a jam you set it to record on all four mics you can record the room around you evenly and not just what is in front or closest to the mic like many other recorders.

The last recorder I had (small digital voice recorder) and I wanted to record a jam I would turn it on and set it somewhere within arm's reach and and when I listened to it later all I could here was my chopping because I was closest. What I found myself doing was playing a lot softer to get a better recording but then I was contributing to the jam.

I am pretty satisfied with the H2 but if I could make one suggestion to Zoom to make it better it would be to make a small remote control that with start/stop/record so you don't have to manually touch the device if you want to start and stop it.

Hey Jim, It has a "clap on" feature. Page 39 in the manual

The auto record function makes it possible to have the H2 start and stop recording automatically, according to the input signal level.
    When the level exceeds a certain threshold,recording starts, and when it remains below the threshold for a given length of time, recording
    stops.

If you have an iPod you can get an inexpensive aftermarket attachment from Belkin I believe that converts your iPod into a very nice recorder. I have an 80 gig iPod (older Classic model) and I really like the fact that I can go to a lesson or a jam etc. and just turn the thing on and it will record seemingly forever with no battery problems or disc space problems. If you already have an iPod this solution seems like a no brainer to me.

I had a Zoom H4 once but sold it mostly because it just seemed to darn expensive and feature filled for my use. If I got another one someday (doubtful given my good luck with my iPod) I would get the H2 because it is cheaper and does everything I need.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Thanks for the input, which is greatly appreciated, I'll am off to purchase an
    H2

Mike

I've had an H2 for a few years now and love it - I'm always pleased with the quality of the recordings, including when I've recorded band practices for a very loud post-punk/math rock band I play drums in - I've never had a device before that can record that noisy a situation and still be able to hear all the instruments, so the clarity of the H2 recordings has been a pleasant surprise!

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

This may be too late, but I would highly recommend the BOSS MICRO BR over any of the ZOOM units. It has:

32 virtual tracks
    Built-in mic (picks up fantastic sound), line in, and 1/4 inch inputs
    Tuner (one of the best I've ever used)
    Hundreds of drum patterns, including metronome
    Amazing programmable multi effects
    Professional mastering capability (also programmable)
    Converts songs to Mp3 and/or .Wav files
    mini-USB out for computer interface
    AC or DC powered
    Small size
    Musician-friendly price
    Great on-line support

I've had one for a couple of years now, and I wonder how I ever got along without this little wonder. I believe the price is comparable to the H2. A band member got an H2 after I got my MICRO BR and, as far as I can tell, the MICRO BR outclasses the H2 hands down. The only thing the H2 has over the MICRO BR is its mic stand mount thingy.

Hope that helps.
    Only plants need roots.

Quote Originally Posted by jim_n_virginia View Post
    The Zoom H2 has the tuner and Metronome and while I used them a few times mostly I just record with it.
    Understood. Just wanted to let folks know that Edirol added those features to this unit.

My S.O. and I have shared an H2 for about a year and a half. When it first came out, it was a very popular recorder for its bang-for-buck price and features, compared to anything else available at the time. I'm sure there are competitive and probably better recorders available for the same price now, but I'm impressed with the way the H2 has held up under fairly heavy use. The case looks cheap, the switches look and feel flimsy, but the little guy keeps on ticking.

As a scratch pad recorder, we'll keep using it until it breaks. It fits that role well, and I haven't been tempted by any of the newer models. Any time I think about wanting a better recording, it means setting up separate microphones. If I'm going to do that, then I'll use the full laptop recording rig, the rack stuffed with preamps, the whole nine yards... (of cables). No matter how deep you get into recording, I think everyone should have one of these little pocket recorders; the H2 or whatever else you like. They're super-useful.

More positive feedback for H2 here. I use it mainly for recording tune learning sessions and community choir.
    If you plan to record something important I would suggest giving it some trial runs first. The results can vary greatly depending upon the settings. The inbuilt AGC usually produces good levels but using manual settings I've ended up with very low levels. That would be my fault, not the unit's. I've been able to amplify the low level ones with Audacity and the quality has still been surprisingly good.

Thumbs up Re: Zoom H2/H4 recorders

I've had an H2 for several years now and am quite happy with it. It's small enough to keep with you; inexpensive, easy to use and most importantly, makes great recordings.

I like the fact that it has several auto-gain control setting and limiters built in; takes SD cards (I can get several hours out of an 8Gb micro-SD) and most importantly it has great sound.

I like the different polar patterns of the four built-in mics. You can also turn them all on at once at a jam or something and with the right software can then turn it into a 5.1 surround-sound mix.

From what I've heard, the H4 piles on a lot more features, but I like the H2. It's perfect for what I use it for: recording jams, classes, acoustic music, etc.

As a field recorder the H2 is fine, but I wouldn't want one as my only audio interface. In fact, I'd be happier with it it had about half the features it does have.

i got the Roland Edirol R-09HR and i am very pleased w/ its useability and sound quality. very easy to use.
    Angel Cruz
    Russ Morin Resonator Ukulele, Coqui Cuatro, RiveraIntruments Cuatro, Manuel Morgado Cuatro, '09 Gypsy Octave Mandolin #110909047, '09 Redline Traveler #36, '82 Flatiron 1N #82081665, Morgan Monroe MMR-2

Mandolin Codependent

I've been using the Olympus LS-10 and really love the sound quality. I mostly just record live gigs, and open stages, plus musical ideas at home.

I also use a Sunpak VersiPod as a tripod. It's really unobtrusive, lightweight and has a magnetic mount that sets up really quick. Its my walking stick/monopod when I'm out taking pictures.

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

I have an H2 and an Edirol R-09 (the original one) and I use them both quite a bit.

I prefer the R-09 for two reasons: 1) My main reason, I like the omni mics better than the cardioid mics in the H2. I record Irish sessions, performances, some rehearsals, and other ad hoc gatherings mainly, and the omni mics don't have any off-axis mic coloration. The H2's cardioids do have some effect at the edges or off the axes of the cardioid patterns. If you point the thing carefully, this is minimized or goes away, but for just putting the recorder in a room full of music, I feel that the R-09 sounds better. 2) The controls of the H2 are less fun to use. Sometimes the menus reset to defaults without telling me, so every time I use it I have to check the menus and make sure it's where I want. It's a good deal more complex in it's control menus than the Edirol, even the new HR version of the Edirol.

Points for the H2... the 'handle' for mic stands is great, the little three-footed stand is great.

Most of these recorders have a lot of what I call 'songwriter' features that I don't need. I understand that they're there, but I like devices w/o 'em, and that attracted me first to the Edirol.

This is just the dawn of these things, they'll get smarter, cheaper, better and smaller. Great devices.

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

I am very happy with my H2. Cheap and easy to use. I use it almost every day. It should come with a copy of Audacity. And a few batteries. On another note, my fancy guitar effects pedal has a bunch of hum from the ac adapter that came with it (wall wart) or to make it quiet I use a $400 dc converter but on batteries it uses 6 AA batteries every 2 hours, but the cheapy ac adapter supplied with this H2 thingie is silent. I still use batteries and it uses 2 AA every 4 hours. That matches the record time on my 2G card. Best practice tool ever! For what it's worth.

Does anyone use the 4track multitrack features of the H4 much?

I'm about to embark on some long distance colaboration with a friend over email. I'm on the fence to trade out for a Tascan DP-02CF for simple visual sliders/knobs/ease of use, and get away from those tiny nested menus, jogdial, etc. But I hate to give up the nice convenient onboard mics of the H4.
    2001 Flatiron F5

Blog Entries

Not to hijack but to take advantage the general area...

Anybody have experience with the Zoom Q3 video/audio recorder?
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    ca. 1900 Clifford Mandolinetto
    Martin Guitars

I have had my H4n for a few months now and use the four track mode exclusively so far. It works good for multitracking and the onboard mics sound good to my ears. One drawback I found is that you can't use the combo of onboard mics and external mic simultaneously in 4 track mode. The nested menus are kind of a pain but I have gotten used to speeding thru them and just accept it as part of the design for such a small unit. Nested menus vs. mics, mic stands, cords, USB interface, etc. To each their own. I am looking forward to using it in field recording situations in the future, so for me it is a nice all purpose little gadget.
    Ken Ratcliff Silver Angel #285

I have an H4 for years (since they came out) and it has been great for recording jams and we did a Christmas CD for friends with it. The buttons on that old one are small. The H2 and new H4 are much nicer and easier to use. They are reasonably priced as well.

Nothing against the Zoom; used to have one but for multi-tracking purposes
    I much prefer the Tascam DP-004. Some of the Tascam's controls are analog...yippee...it's much easier to "arm" a track with the Tascam as well.

DP-004 has two internal mics which are at least as good as the Zoom's......also has 2 1/4
    inputs.

I agree the "nested" Zoom menus are (were) a bit of a pain