Thread: Punch Brothers in Davidson, NC

Default Punch Brothers in Davidson, NC

Well, I finally managed to be in the area when they were playing, at Davidson College last night...

A few observations/preemptive strikes...

Yes, as best I could tell, he played the Loar, and, yes, it sounded fabulously balanced and even. No I didn't get to touch it, and I couldn't even read the headstock (new clip-on tuner in the way, but it looked like the Loar and the script looked way more like Gibson than Dudenbostel; also no 'Hole' on the truss cover that I could see). In a perfect world I'd have stayed around and begged to at least see it, but it was a school night (kids at home) and my wife, who also enjoyed the show despite mostly just tolerating my acoustic obsession, really was ready to go. To her credit she did ask if I wanted to stay and meet them as they hocked t-shirts and pressed the flesh; I wanted to, but the unspoken message was clear, and after wanting to bolt out of "A Chorus Line" the night before myself, I totally understood...

I was amazed at how many people there had no idea who these guys are, from the older crowd who goes to all of the "Arts Experience" type events to support the college to the college kids, a couple of whom I overheard saying, "So, what are these guys, like, country, or something?" before the show. There were obviously at least 20-30 mando geeks there, judging by the murmurring when he walked out with the Loar, and a fair number of folks you could tell played something, but a significant portion of the crowd had no idea what/who they were seeing. To their credit, only a couple of the younger kids left early (with bookbags in tow), and most seemed to thoroughly enjoy the show.

Noam is an understated monster of a banjo picker...I was seriously impressed with his style and his sound, and also with the way he blended/complemented and also played runs right along with the other guys on their more progressive numbers. All of them, obviously, are tremendous musicians, but I think he impressed me the most other than Thile...

They played mostly songs from How to Grow and Punch but worked in a couple of covers as well, including numbers by the Beatles and Radiohead. I think my second favorite song of the night was the Stanly Bros "Lonesome River," which they introduced as a "bonafide bluegrass song, with papers in the back to prove it." I loved "Dead Leaves..." and "Wayside" as well, which probably tied for my favorite numbers. They played 2 songs from their current album in progress...one a very progressive Punch-esque number, the other a blues infused rhythmic up tempo song.

As in jazz, the really modal stuff can get old for me, but I was impressed, even on their extended BLTB movements, at their musicianship and the way they've just meshed as a band. Their vocals were tremendous as well, also a little but of a surprise for me.

My wife said, "If you died soon I wouldn't rush back out to see them again, but I'd go again with you." I take it as a complement to them...She's really the musician in the family, and she was also impressed by their performance even if it wasn't her music of choice (which tends to fall more into the driving alt rock realm).

All in all, I left very happy I finally got to see them, esp in such an intimate environment. I can see why those who prefer more traditional OT and BG don't dig all their stuff, but also left impressed that they can play whatever they want, and can do it well...I think Thile, while still a remarkably polished player, is beginning to get some "grit," and while I fall solidly out of the "Hero Worship" mentality, I must admit to feeling a little giddy when he chopped them into the first song on that Loar...

I left marvelling at what a niche instrument the mandolin is to the masses, and hope they earned some new fans tonight...

I hope they stick together for a while, yet, because I think they're really just beginning to hit the tip of their potential, both musically and as showmen, and especially with their banter between songs, which at times tended to be more inside jokes they were letting us in on (at least a little) than engaging, though it got better as they got the rust kicked off and got into the show.

Also, don't mean for this to start a "love or hate Thile" or "who's the best ever" type of argument. I just wanted to say, "I'm pretty sure I heard a Loar in person, no I wouldn't buy one at the going rate, but, yes, it sounded that good" and also check to see if anyone else there had differing impressions of their performance.

Sorry this is so long!

Chuck

Default Re: Punch Brothers in Davidson, NC

Thanks for the review Chuck. I wanted to drive down to see them but couldn't make it. After your review next time I will.

Joe

Ugh... My friend went but I couldn't go. I'm bummed. I'm glad you enjoyed it though.

I do have tickets to see them at Duke in feb. I think I'm going to see him in Winston Salem in March too.

Chuck,
    Glad you got to go see the Punch Brothers. I haven't seen them since they were the How to Grow a Band and Chris Eldridge's hair was at his shoulders. I think that was back in 2007. Also, maybe because I didn't know at the time to be looking for it, but I remember Noam kind of standing off to the side. He of course had chops back then, but from my youtubing it seems he has become an absolutely amazing and hilarious presence on the stage. I agree with you about their vocals being tight. I remember being blown away with Ophelia when I saw them. Thanks for the review! Also, your wife sounds hilarious.

Good review; you should recieve a cheque for that (but you won't) Hang on to your wife,it's not every woman that would allow herself to be taken to a Punch Brother's concert (although afterwards she did begin to talk about you being dead)
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Chuck,

Where did they play on campus? Back when I attended the only decent place for an acoustic set was the 900 room in the Union where I heard Mike Cross, Doc and Jack, and a few others. I had heard that there is a new performing arts center and if they played there then how is it? Thanks
    It doesn't matter . . . I'm going to WINFIELD!!!!!

Thanks for the review.

By happenstance, I may be able to hear them next Friday night at Oberlin College in Ohio. I am taking my youngest son there for a college fair for music & performing arts schools late in the afternoon, and wouldn't you know, Punch are scheduled to play there that evening? Who woulda thought? My son tolerates my bluegrass, and has heard lots of Chris Thile, so he seems willing to stay for the show.

I only have heard Chris with the How to Grow a Band lineup (Bryan Sutton) on guitar, so this will be other material with Critter playing guitar this time around.
    Eastman 315
    Epiphone MM-20
    Martin D-16H
    MIJ reissue 62 Strat
    Gregory Furan custom L-49

Keith

I just won 4 free tickets to see them in a few weeks in Burlington. Awesome musicians, no charge to me, and I'm pretty darn happy about it.

I saw them a few years ago before they pulled out the BLTB suite stuff. Pretty incredible how well they were working together then, so it should be great to see how they've melded since then.

I thoroughly enjoyed that review. Almost felt like I was there with you. Great writing!

Thanks for the compliments!

As for my wife, yeah, I think she's pretty awesome . BUT, she did mention the whole death thing, and she also made me sit through "A Chorus Line" the night before, so...

They played in the Duke Family Performance Hall...they actually played amplified, though about as bare-bones as you can get. It looked like a great place for a play/musical, but I got the impression that the acoustics wouldn't have been that great without at least some amplification...Not an expert on acoustics, however, so may be totally missing something there. It was a nice room, though, and their sound guy did an excellent job...

Hmmm...it may be fun to make it over to Winston in March...wonder if I'll be able to convince my wife to go back????

Thanks again for the nice remarks...
    Chuck