Thread: Mandobird-Adjusting intonation

Default Mandobird-Adjusting intonation

Hi Everyone,

I picked up a Mandobird 8 string. I'm generally happy with it except the intonation is a bit off - it's fretting real sharp, especially on the G string.

Just wondering if there was any step by step advice anyone could offer on adjusting intonation on the 'bird'. I did my own bridge set up on my acoustic and it's been fine but the electric is a new one for me.

thanks,

Rob
    Eastman 515
    Lafferty Octave Mandolin
    Epiphone Mandobird
    music is the poetry of the air

Default Re: Mandobird-Adjusting intonation

Hi Robert
    If the freted note is sharp at the 12thfret wind the bridge thing back towards the end button.
    It is easy to do with a tuner although I tend to use the repair guys and ask them to set it up by checking the neck relief, intonation and general look over. About the same cost as my wife getting her hair done (does that sound like a justification??!) Have a great day!
    Craig

The bridge on the VIII (unlike the IV) doesn't have individually intonatable string courses. the process is essentially the same as your accoustic bridge setup, with regards to the open string/12fth fret octave being true. there are 4 adjustable points on the bridge... two of them require a small allen key and will adjust the height of the action (set these first). the other two are the philipshead screws with springs between the bridge and the stop-plate (where the balls of strings are).

These two will adjust the distance between the bridge and nut, thus allowing you the pull the bridge to the point required. (I had to pull mine back by 10mm or so)

I was actually quite impressed with how close to true the epi got... from memory one string ended up being off by a cent or so. When I first bought the 'bird i was set on being able to individually intonate each string set, but it came good enough with the stock bridge I decided against a custom bridge.

Next for my hatchet it'll onto installing a bone nut (the stock one is junk and messes with me) and I have electronics ready to go... I have a paintjob in mind, so i figure i might as well get that done while its nuded up...

Blog Entries

Robert,
    If the nut is too high, it'll still fret sharp at the first few frets when you intonate from the 12th fret. And Epiphone seems to have left every nut they install at least a little high.

Daniel

Thanks for the information. That really helps a lot!

Yeah, could be a nut issue there too. It's quite sharp on the lower frets (2nd 3rd, etc)

I have never done any work on a nut. Is this something that can be done at home or something to be 100% definitely left to the professionals?

If it is something that can be done at home are there any tips on how you would go about doing it?

In the meantime I'll see if the bridge adjustment does the trick.

Looking forward to when this is set up well. It's gonna be a good one!

Rob
    Eastman 515
    Lafferty Octave Mandolin
    Epiphone Mandobird

you can have a crack at the nut yourself, but I'd (along with everyone else) recommend replacing the epi platic nut with a bone one. you'll notice a much better tone from your instrument and it'll be easier to tune. (I've noticed the stock one grabs a bit.)

If you have a crack at adjusting the stock nut, there are plenty of threads about this... do a search. basically you'll need some very narrow files or it is also possible to use emery paper.

What gauge strings are you using? I start with Meds(11-38), but (having to buy 8 singles) i had to move to heavies on my current set. I've noticed that perhaps heavies(11-40) are more suited to 4 string Emandos, whereas the eight string Emando plays better with the lighter gauge due to the double course.

Blog Entries

Bone nut, check.
    Intonation, check.

Me? I took mine to Gary Vessel here in Modesto. Gary is the best.
    But if you want to tinker a bit on your own, nuts are doable. Just don't file too much out of the slot, and make sure you ramp up to the fretboard edge of the slot to get clean intonation.

If it makes you feel any better, 99% of all electrics (guitars too) need some set up work straight out of the shop. Nuts and saddles are the basics of set up.

Daniel

Thanks again everyone.

I am using 11-38 med strings. These seem to work well. Actually, switching from the terrible thin strings that the Mandobird shipped with already made an improvement in the intonation.

I'll do a bit more research on adjusting the nut and maybe give it a try. I'd like to get the bone nut eventually, I'll just have to see how it goes.

Rob
    Eastman 515
    Lafferty Octave Mandolin
    Epiphone Mandobird