Thread: SE Virginia swing

Question SE Virginia swing

Any swing guitar players out there who want to get together to play the Real Book stuff - old standards of the 20s, 30s, 40s - jazz, choro, dawg, gypsy, etc.? Been looking for a while and can't seem to connect. I'm an "intermediate +" level mandolin player w/ a piano background, a good ear, ability to improvise, and a great love for the kind of stuff Don Stiernberg (for example) plays. Big Dawg fan, of course. Retired w/ flexible schedule and willing to travel anywhere between Richmond, Fredericksburg, Norfolk.
    Just to give an idea - tunes I'm currently working on:
    Charmaine; Bossa Dorado; Albuquerque Turkey; Lover Come Back to Me; Super Mario II theme; Noites Cariocas; Back Home in Ind.; Rosetta; St. Thomas; Tico Tico; Vou Vivendo. . . [and another hundred or so]

This may not be the appropriate location on the Message Board for this.

Short range goal: Find a rhythm guitarist who knows the "jazz chords"; work on some tunes; add a bass, and then percussion & whatever else works. Vocalist(s), violin, other mandos, accordian, flute, etc.
    Long range goal: Play out in some restaurants, wineries, etc. 1 or 2 nights/week; jam/practice 1 or 2 nights. Record some of this music.
    Anybody out there have some suggestions, want to get together, or know anything/anybody who could help, puleeze contact me:
    Joe Hannabach
    804-695-7150 (pm only please)
    gonzograss@va.metrocast.net

Default Re: SE Virginia swing

Anyone out there in Montana you wants to play?

I can't find Noites Cariocas in the Real Book...hmmm...must be 'unreal'. Just joking. Good luck, someone east of the Miss and south of the Mason/Dix must play choro!

Hi ALB,
    Trying to make my version sound similar to Reischman's. Such a wonderful (and challenging tune). Probably a touch over my head.
    Spent a bit of time in Port Townsend last summer on our trip to WA and Vancouver. Took some photos from the tower. Wow, what a lovely area you live in. Next lifetime, maybe.
    ~~Joe Hannabach~~

Any ideas on the chords used to accompany Charlie Parker in his Tico Tico?

I feel your pain, gonzograss. I've been trying to find some gypsy jazz players in the Shenandoah Valley near Staunton for the past four months -- nothin' but the sound of crickets so far.

Good luck with your search!
    "Got time to breathe, got time for music" -- Briscoe Darling

I am no where near the ability you need, but I would love an opportunity to sit and watch as your future trio or quartet expands. Like you can see, there is not a lot of places in the area to go to hear these styles. It would be a great learning experience for me.

I am in between Fredericksburg and Richmond.
    Its not a backwards guitar.