Thread: Siminoff F5 Kit

Unhappy

Have any of you builders completed one of the Siminoff F5 kits? Comments on the quality of the components and tone of the finished mandolin would be appreciated. I know Ratliff offered a kit at on time. Do you know if it is still avaliable? All the best. Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

I made a Siminoff F5 last year. Over all it is a good kit. I upgraded to a adirondak top and a 1 piece back. I have built 3 mandolins from kits, 2 stewmacs and one Siminoff. I think the StewMac is a bit more easy to build (rim already assembled) other than that I like my Siminoff the best. Siminoff looks and sounds the best, but I learned a few thing from building one and two, and of course made a whole new set of mistakes on #3 but it came out well. JD
    Shalom,Yonkle (JD)

JD thanks for the info. I too think the Sim kit is a bit more refined just based on what I have read. The plates that come with the kits, do they require much more carving or are they fairly close to acceptable graduations? Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

Post Re: Siminoff F5 Kit

Quote Originally Posted by Lane Pryce View Post
    JD thanks for the info. I too think the Sim kit is a bit more refined just based on what I have read. The plates that come with the kits, do they require much more carving or are they fairly close to acceptable graduations? Lp
    An old thread I know. I have a Siminoff kit I traded Tom Rozum for in the 70s. It has a douglas fir top and a one piece maple back. I have hauled it around since 1975 I think it was. I got it out today to start it as I'm now retired. I've built several other kits, the SAGA kits and they turned out pretty decent. I use HHG and varnish finish. I have a set of Tom Morgan plans (from Dayton, TN) that are quite accurate as far as thickness of the top and back. He had a Loar apart and measured everything. We shall see if I make a wall hanging or not. I liked Mr. Siminoff's information. His article on rebuilding of Bill Monroe's mandolin war fascinating.

Default Re: Siminoff F5 Kit

I bought a stew mac kit, and messed up so many things that i just used it for templates. I have made one A, and 3 F's from scratch but still use rogers book as my reference