Thread: passive pickup problems

Default passive pickup problems

Hi Everybody - I have a Tacoma m1e mandolin with an internal passive pickup, and I usually plug into a simple direct box when playing gigs. It's been a great instrument for years, but I've never been quite satisfied with the sound coming from the passive pickup - a bit harsh and boomy. I don't want to change the sound dramatically, but I want it to be a little easier on people's ears. Any suggestions? I know this is very general, but I'm curious as to what other folks might plug a passive mandolin into. Compressor? EQ? High-end DI Box? What's your favorite? Thanks!

Matt

Default Re: passive pickup problems

You got yourself a piezo pickup with no preamp to match it's high output impedance with the low input impedance of your amp or PA.
    You need a preamp.
    They range from something adequate like the Boss GEB-7 EQ for around $70 to something excellent like the D-TAR Solstice for Around $320. Do a search of these forums for "preamp" and you'll find a ton of information and advice.
    jeff bonny

I plug into a LR Baggs DI para eq- end of issues. There are SO many ways to control your sound you are bound to be able to get something good.
    Bulldog #24

Thanks a lot, guys! I tried a compressor, and it just made things worse - it looks like a preamp is in my future! Cheers!

Matt

Hey Matt,
    I use a ultra sound DI plus preamp. Another good one is the L.R. Baggs Para Acoustic DI. Both are very good. I use them for passive acoustic guitar pick-ups and should work fine with your mandolin.

Joe

Another strong vote for the Baggs PADI.
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

Quote Originally Posted by bonny View Post
    You got yourself a piezo pickup with no preamp to match it's high output impedance with the low input impedance of your amp or PA.
    You need a preamp.
    actually by plugging into the DI box, the impedance difference is dealt with... ( signal chain hits the DI box, then the house console's preamp as a matched impedance mic signal).

I would recommend getting one of the the preamp/DIs mentioned, I've worked with artists getting good results with brands like Fishman and LR Baggs. You'll want an XLR balanced output with a choice of running off the house PA's 48v phantom powersupply , but also the choice of using and internal 9v battery if required. certainly you'll need a gain stage and a little bit of EQ can also help tweak your final sound. you may find there are a few different models of EQ available such as parametric, graphic etc.

DI in being typically made are for a higher impedance like a guitar,
    Piezos are orders of magnitude higher in impedance, than high impedance guitar signals ..

Go for the Baggs PADI.,

then the DI output from that is low like a microphone ,

which is what remote stage 'snakes' , to 'house' mixers, have the most of, is microphone inputs.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I have to say, I am very impressed with this community I've stumbled across. I've been wondering about this problem for a while, and not 24 hours later I have my solution - a friend that runs a studio lent me a Baggs Para DI. Thanks so much for taking the time to help me!!

Matt