Thread: Stagg M20?

Default Stagg M20?

Hello!

I just accidentally dropped my Stagg M40s (boom!) and cracked the neck.

Seeing as it's a cheap mandolin, it's cheaper to buy a new one. How's the Stagg M20?

It's REALLY cheap (under $100) with a non-solid top of basswood and an adjustable bridge. Can I get decent intonation and action on it? (It's okay if it sounds like #### as long as it is in tune). I can replace the bridge with the a little bit better one from my Stagg M40s if that helps.

The reviews I've found were all 5/5, but you can never fully trust online reviews.

I will replace it with a nice $600 mandolin (tried it out in a shop, it has awesome chops) as soon as I get a job and thus this mandolin will only be a temporary replacement, seeing as I play mandolin in a folk punk band.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Stagg M20?

I had the all laminated Johnson (now Savannah) oval hole mandolin for under $100 that I still have and still play on occasionally. The tuners held and it intonated in first position and at 12th fret fine. Set up is key, and being able to return it if bad...

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Blip, if you're prone to dropping mandos, then the Stagg is the model for you. Intonation is dependent upon a number of factors in the construction of an instrument--all of which are generally given consideration commensurate with price paid for the instrument; however, many very inexpensive mandolins will have perfectly acceptable intonation, which is adjustable for the most part. For your needs, I think you're right on in seeking a cheap instrument with good intonation--chances are you'll obtain one. If you get a lemon, drop it and crack its neck off and try another..

What Jamie said...a decent set of tuners will help any mando.

This is my first time dropping it, and apparently they're not made for dropping.

Well.. I think it has the same tuners as the M40s.. so they're decent. At least they're not as horrible as those on that Hora Mandola I own (which is now rotting away in my basement, because it's a horrible horrible instrument).

All I need for this music is intonation to be good at frets 1-7. I rarely go past 7 except when playing blues.

So I guess I'll buy it. It should be able to intonate seeing as I would use the same bridge as my decently intonated M40s (or.. it WAS decently intonated until the neck cracked, now it's a quarter note sharp and the action is sky high).

Thanks.

Any more opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by Blip View Post
    This is my first time dropping it, and apparently they're not made for dropping.

Well.. I think it has the same tuners as the M40s.. so they're decent. At least they're not as horrible as those on that Hora Mandola I own (which is now rotting away in my basement, because it's a horrible horrible instrument).

All I need for this music is intonation to be good at frets 1-7. I rarely go past 7 except when playing blues.

So I guess I'll buy it. It should be able to intonate seeing as I would use the same bridge as my decently intonated M40s (or.. it WAS decently intonated until the neck cracked, now it's a quarter note sharp and the action is sky high).

Thanks.

Any more opinions?
    We tried to encourage you to avoid that Hora(ble) .

That Stagg will likely make a fine blues mando for ya. However, I'll be the first of a hundred predictable sentiments to say...save up and get something better (remember the Hora?..).

I will save up later and get myself a proper mandolin so I can get good chops and a true mandolin sound. As soon as I get a job.

Well, I'll probably buy this one for now (if I don't win the auction for a bad banjolin, might get it REALLY cheap. No bids on it yet. Tried it out, horrible as a mandolin, but if I take four of the strings off it sounds like a tiny banjo and still plays like a mandolin). I really need a mandolin.

The Hora seem really hit and miss though. The Bouzouki my friend bought from them was really nice for it's price. Good intonation (out of the box) too.

Anyone know how good the Stagg M50e is unplugged?

Because if the store can't get the M20, I know that they sell the M50e model. Will check with them if they have any other cheap F-hole mandolins.

Quote Originally Posted by Blip View Post
    Anyone know how good the Stagg M50e is unplugged?

Because if the store can't get the M20, I know that they sell the M50e model. Will check with them if they have any other cheap F-hole mandolins.
    excuse me for resurrecting an old thread and probably Blip has made his decision long ago - but I just wanted to share that my newly acquired M50e does surprisingly well unplugged. Last week I took it to rehearsal with the band and started out amplified but changed to unplugged quickly - it contributed nicely to the mix.

BUT I noticed Stagg M50e builds vary. For instance, mine has nicely finished soundholes, the ones I saw yesterday in a local music store have soundholes crudely cut out, plywood clearly visible.
    So, my Stagg M50e experience is limited to 'my' Stagg.
    (It may also clear up why reviews on this mandolin vary so much ... people may be talking about different instruments that have just the name in common)