Thread: thanks to the mandolin archives:

Blog Entries

Default thanks to the mandolin archives:

Funny thing happened last night. I was at practice with some people I am going to play a few gigs with the next couple of months. While taking a short break the guys house we were at put in a dvd of the Merle Fest. This guy says he has been at everyone of them and has volunteered and been one of the "instrument lock up crew" that locks up the pro's instruments in one climate controlled building, I guess this is right as I've never been to it, and I know there are some on here who have, do they such a thing as the "instrument lock up room" ? But anyway back to what I saying, the guy puts the dvd on, fast forwards to John Cowen singing "Good Woman's Love" as he is a big fan of him, whenever Sam Bush takes a break on his mando, which is "Hoss", this guy turns and points and says," his { Sam's} mandolin is dated the same date of Bill Monroes ". I immediately asked him who says, the guy replies "Sam told me, I know him, I was right off the side of the stage " I then told him no, that Sam's Hoss is not the same date as Monroe's famous F-5, and the guy got mad at me, can you believe it ? Because I called his hand. I think he is one of those types of individuals who likes to tell #### like that to make themselves sound important "in the know" so to speak. Too tough for him uh ?, thanks to the Mandolin Archives I printed proof out on my printer to show him next time we get together. I just love to call peoples hand that are like that. Making up, telling stuff like that, to me just shows immaturity. What do ya'll think ? Ever run into anything like this ? Anyway thanks to Mandolin Archives and the knowledgeable folks on here that I have learned so much from. Thanks guys.

Default Re: thanks to the mandolin archives:

Clearly, that fellow was full of coffee grounds.

I was leaving Merlefest for the day one time to the strains of Good Woman's Love. Made me glad I was walking that way.

And of course, YMMV.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Clearly, that fellow was full of coffee grounds.

I was leaving Merlefest for the day one time to the strains of Good Woman's Love. Made me glad I was walking that way.

And of course, YMMV.
    Yep, I believe I get what you're saying, its ok, but it sure ain't Bluegrass not the way he does it, more of a "Motown" sound.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 300win View Post
    I think he is one of those types of individuals who likes to tell #### like that to make themselves sound important "in the know" so to speak. .
    Life is too short to keep company with people like that.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

You know thinking about that last night really bothers me the more I think about it. Whenever I begin to try to explain what I knew to be fact, I was totally ignored by him and the rest of the people there except my wife, but he's one of those individuals that everyone hangs on every word he says, they probably thought I was the one lying rather than him. But they can't argue with the evidence I have on the stuff I printed out from the Archives. It's going to be funny seeing their and esp. his face. Who knows they migt even get upset enough to knock me out of the gigs, but so what, I'd rather be around honest folks. She told me while we were going home that sometimes I'm too gruff, maybe she's right, but stuff like that really rubs me raw as much as anything. The way I look at it if you're going to make stupid untrue statements like he did, then you deserve to be slammed, and slammed hard.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=JeffD;709192]Life is too short to keep company with people like that.[/QUOTE

I agree man, but the only reason I am is the payed gigs that are coming up. whenever I got my new mando the wife made it clear to me that she wanted me to get as many as I could to help pay for it ......lol....

Yep, I believe I get what you're saying, its ok, but it sure ain't Bluegrass not the way he does it, more of a "Motown" sound.
    I don't think that John Cowan is going for a straight ahead bluegrass sound.
    But then again, people have been saying stuff like that about him since about 1974.
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

To be clear:

I am not saying he is bluegrass or not, I really don't care about that. There are certain singers whose vocal timbre I don't care for. He is one. Purely a matter of subjective taste.

There are at least 10,000 mandolin pickers who think they have an F5 "just like Bills". I've run into about 989 of them. My daddy always said to never doubt a crazy persons beliefs. Best to agree and move on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    There are at least 10,000 mandolin pickers who think they have an F5 "just like Bills". I've run into about 989 of them. My daddy always said to never doubt a crazy persons beliefs. Best to agree and move on.
    Yea but Sam Bush ain't one of them. I guess you're right though, just forget it and move on, still sticks in my craw though.

Interesting...the best concert I've ever seen was a John Cowan concert. He can sing virtually any kind of music and make it his own...and his band was smokin'.

I've been working backstage at Merlefest for about a decade. There is an instrument "lockup" that does the job well for everyone. I'd describe it closer to a tool shed with barn doors than a climate controlled room.

j.
    www.condino.com

There is always something to argue about, and the world's rife with misinformation. Some of this misinformation is stated firmly as the gospel truth.

However, 300win, I also see the good sense in not starting a ruckus with someone you're planning to perform with. Going around correcting others, as the great apostle of truth and accuracy, can make one feel better. It can also make these others decide they don't want to work with you. It's a tradeoff: Henry Clay said he'd rather be right than be President, but there are quite a few now who seem to feel the opposite.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

...Making up, telling stuff like that, to me just shows immaturity.
    Let it go...You be the mature one. Forget about your need to prove him wrong.
    1950 Gibson A-5
    1996 Flatiron Performer A
    2001 Flatiron Performer A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.
    -Unknown

Blog Entries

Here is one to top the previous. Again at a semi-practice last night. The same guys wife began singing "Blue Kentucky Girl". She does a good job. At the end of it I stated that and also said Lorreta Lynn and Emmy Lou did that one as good as it can get. Both of them, the wife and husband said that she, the wife had written it ! Well I was speachless, couldn't say anything !, what is it I could have said ? I believe these two are living in a musical fantasy world. According to the info I have "Blue Kentucky Girl" was written by Johnny Mullen. Maybe the's the wifes psuedo name ? Lets see she would have to been about 5 years old when she wrote it, if she wrote it in order for Lorreta to have recieved it in time to record. Now ya'll see who I'm playing music with. After the last gig we do in October I believe I'll move on, I would before that but I gave my word and I always stick to that. From now on I'm going to be all ears and can't wait to see what else I find out about the music world that I had no idea of. Maybe even start laughing at these crazy statements, and also ask questions to see how elaborate they can get on this priceless music info.

Lets see she would have to been about 5 years old when she wrote it, if she wrote it in order for Lorreta to have recieved it in time to record.
    Frank Wakefield said that he wrote many of the classic bluegrass tunes before he was born.
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters