Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cello in bluegrass?

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Cello in bluegrass?

Quote Originally Posted by John McGann View Post
    Music doesn't care what you call it.
    Are you commenting on my post just before yours? The OP asked about the potential uses of a cello in a string band; I simply don't consider an overdubbed string section (6 pieces) playing from a written score to be an example of that. Maybe some people are too hung up on what had, or would have had, Monroe's approval. I have no use for idolatry, nor labels.

(Unless I missed it I've seen no comment on the much more convincing
    use of a string quartet on Dailey& Vincent's "On the other Side". )

Post # 38 of this thread, by 56 Gibson Hoss, gave the definitive answer to the OPs question. The Rockin' Acoustic Circus, of Tulsa Ok. plays driving, straight ahead bluegrass, and has a cello as an integral part of the band. Check them out, they have recordings and videos. It's the real deal. They played Winfield, and that little gal lugged that cello out into the campground and jammed with the best of them.
    Mike Snyder

Grey Fox Bluegrass Festival (winner of IBMA Bluegrass event of the year this year!) had the following folks perform at an in-room IBMA showcase.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcWPkP800V0

Really nice use of cello on Cherryholmes' "Broken." That and octave fiddle make it extra spooky. With regards to Natalie Haas, I saw her with Alastair Fraser, Bruce Molsky, and Martin Hayes doing some pretty nifty stuff.

Apparently, cello has historically been widely used in Scottish music, so I don't think it would be all that out of place in a bluegrass setting (what with Appalachian roots and all).

Also, for a good example of an accordian in a bluegrass song, see (or hear, rather) "Crown of Jewels" and "Stubb" on Ricky Skaggs and Bruce Hornsby's duo album and Bruce Molsky's rendition of "Shove the Pig's Foot a Little Further into the Fire" on Transatlantic Sessions Vol. 3. It works quite well.
    "When I heard what Socrates had done on the lyre, I wished indeed even [I had done] that...but certainly I labored hard in letters!" - Cicero, "Cato the Elder on Old Age"
    Weber Gallatin Mahogany F
    19th Century Ferrari(?) Bowlback
    Early 20th Century British Mandoline-Banjo & Deering Goodtime Tenor
    1960s Harmony Baritone Ukelele
    The Magic Fluke Flea Soprano Ukelele (in 5ths!)
    1910 German Stradivarius 1717 copy, unknown maker
    1890(?) German Stradivarius 1725 copy, G.A. Pfreztschner, maker

Another LP that had the cello was the Osborne Brothers' Bluegrass Concerto. Maybe played by Buddy Spicher. That LP was cool, had several Bob Osborne original mandolin tunes, plus a full string section.

Wonder what Bill thought of it...

Thanks Mike for re-affirming my original post. Here is more of the RAC with the cello playing Whiskey Before Breakfast. Then she tears apart Jerusalem Ridge.
    This youtube is from an IBMA jam this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcWPk...eature=related
    Tom Mullen
    Tulsa, OK