Thread: Problem at neck joint

Default Problem at neck joint

I have a 2 point mandolin built by Roy Marsh. Nice sound but several issues the most serious is a rise of the fingerboard and frets at the neck joint. The rise is at the 15-16 fret.

I was thinking of sanding the frets myself and try to level the fret board that way to eliminate the buzzing at around the 10th fret and up. How hard is it to recrown the frets? I am not real handy with tools but have replaced a nut on guitar, set tthe intonation on movable bridges.

How hard is this to sand frets or is it the wrong way to correct the problem?

Any suggestions on how to proceed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marsh sm neck.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	45424   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marsh sm neck front.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	45425   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sm March bass side.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	45426  

Default Re: Problem at neck joint

Fret work takes some learning and practice. If you want to start learning, you can try leveling and re-crowning these, but if you want a playable mandolin done quickly and correctly, you might be better off taking it to someone who is experienced and good with frets.

Milling the frets is sort of a stop-gap fix anyway. Removing the frets, planing the 'board and re-fretting is a better fix, but if there is enough fret height to mill the frets level, that fix will last until it is time for a fret job anyway, then the real fix can be done.

Default Re: Problem at neck joint

Thank you John
    The frets are large and high so I think can be lowered and I'm not sure the mandolin has enough value in it to do the work you deescribe, that sounds expensive to me.
    Paul