Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2021222324

Thread: Mandolincafe Restoration Challenge

Default Re: Mandolincafe Restoration Challenge

Was really fun to see this thread pop back up, I had to go back and re-read it to remember exactly what I did! lol

Will Kimble
    www.kimblemandolins.com

If you remember, the mandolin was "acquired" at a really elevated sum, relative to the general market.... This is of course a matter of discussion as this mandolin is indeed unique, being the creation of an elite band of brothers and sisters who had a part in its rebirth. We as a mandolin community LOVED following its path from one to another of the luthiers who took part, with all the commentary and love that was devoted to the instrument.

Then, of course, ALL the proceeds went to Scott and the Cafe, which from my perspective, was how I justified the amount I was willing to pony up for this remarkable instrument.

It has been "many" years now since this event took place. Dare I hope that another such undertaking might be possible? Might another challenge on behalf of the Cafe be possible? Easy for me to wonder, as I wouldn't dare think I could contribute any talent to such an undertaking, But I would be right up there bidding the creation up in value for the Cafe at the end.
    John D

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JFDilmando For This Useful Post:

This project was awesome. The talent of all the luthiers is impressive and that mandolin is stunning. I really appreciate seeing such craftsmanship in todays world. Keep up the great work.

Fantastic idea and project. Good for the Cafe' and lots of fun. I'll follow for sure. 😄
    2007 Sumi F-5 Deluxe
    1991 Flatiron Performer A
    Martin D-35

It has been seven years since this wonderful project was initiated, well actually longer, as Darryl acquired the body and neck before he proposed the restoration challenge. Since that time, I have had this wonderful mandolin in my home and have loved it from the day Scott sent ot onto me. It has traveled the world, and has been admired by many. The creation was driven by the desire to give back to the Cafe, and was taken up by many wonderful folks who generously gave of their time and talent to recreate this wonderufl instrument, documented in this thread. All the proceeds realized by Scott have been wonderfully given back to the Mandolin community via various donations and distributions... as one could only think Scott would do...

I think that the time has come to try and generate some additional funds for Scott... and this mandolin, reborn to give back, can keep on, keeping on, doing just that. I am thinking that what I can do, is offer this mandolin back up to the cafe community, with the intent of getting some funds back to Scott and his mando-causes. "Charma" as I slipped in previously.

If you have read this thread before, you would know that this mandolin garnered a princely sum of $5000 for the Cafe, back in 2010. I intend to offer this mandolin in the classifieds for $1502, (don't ask) or best offer..... "best offer" will be anything OVER that, with the promise that 100% of anything over that will go to Scott and the Cafe.

With this in place, can I ask all the generous luthiers to bump this thread by reminiscing a bit about their contributions, and recollections of their work, so that we can appreciate their efforts, so long ago now. Few mandolin creations have gone through this kind of documentation, and have been appreciated so intimately by so many...

I encourage all of us to read this thread from the beginning. Even if you are not one to consider this mandolin as a future part of your family, the story here is remarkable, and reads as well as a good novel, with a great ending, and now another beginning.
    John D

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JFDilmando For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JFDilmando View Post
    ...can I ask all the generous luthiers to bump this thread by reminiscing a bit about their contributions, and recollections of their work, so that we can appreciate their efforts, so long ago now...
    My first thought was "7 years!". It just doesn't seem like it could have been that long ago.
    I think most, if not all of us are still around here from time to time. I don't really have any specific recollections to add, it's all pretty well documented, though I haven't read through the thread for some time. My first (and last) attempt at uploading a video to youtube was involved, and I'll never remember my password, so there it is, as is, until all the gigabytes fade into oblivion. I believe people still link to that video from time to time when someone on some forum is interested in how a sunburst is done.
    It is a rather unique mandolin due to it's history, and hopefully someone will now acquire it, play it and enjoy it as it continues it's way through this part of it's path through history.

9. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

I have loved having this mandolin for the "many" years now that I have played it.... gently, with great care. It is as pristine today as it was when these great luthiers finished their wonderful work. I bump this thread not as an advertisement, but to add to this record of its existence, and a record of another milestone. It will be passed onto another lucky person, and hoefully the bulk of the proceeds will go to Scott and his worthy mandolin projects.
    John D

Just an uodate to say that a new high offer is in at $2500, which means that Scott will be assured of at least $100 additional dollars from this project.
    John D

Wanted to correct this last post.... There was a personal issue with the previous high bidder, and it was best to relieve him of his commitment. So, currently, the bid on this great mando, custom case and all, is $2,000... So Scott, at present will see another $500 from this great mando with mojo....
    Bidding will close in a weeks time
    John D

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JFDilmando For This Useful Post:

Two days are left regarding this sale/donation to Cafe.
    Currently Scott is set up to get $500 for his great work. And the Mando worked on by all these great luthiers will keep on giving.
    John D

This mandolin is now in the hands of a new custodian/owner. After a couple of false starts a transaction was completed and I can proudly say that this mandolin has now generated another $500, donated to Scott and the Cafe. The new owner had this to say regarding the mandolin, and it's creators :

"I appreciate your generosity in buying it and supporting the Mandolin Cafe, and also your generosity in passing the mandolin along to me. I am also glad the Mandolin Cafe is getting another donation as a consequence of it. As a long-time lurker on Mandolin Cafe, I had followed the story of the mandolin with great interest. It was inspiring to see the effort, personal care, and enthusiasm of the talented folks who restored the mandolin. I particularly enjoyed hearing modern experts discuss the work of the Gibson shop, then restore and reinterpret it in ways that enhanced but respected the original construction. What a pleasure it is to have it in-hand and see the results of that work!

I will be using it to play English Country dance music for our monthly dances, Contra dance music (mostly open bands), Irish sessions, and Old Time. It might get some use for Scottish and Scandinavian music, but I usually play fiddle for them. I’m expecting that I will not be bringing it to a lot of jams and sessions, as they are risky places for instruments, but it will be getting out for performances and other playing. "

Thanks to all those contributing luthiers, and to Scott for all he has done for the mandolin world. May this mandolin continue to contribute in the years ahead.
    John D

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JFDilmando For This Useful Post:

Smile Re: Mandolincafe Restoration Challenge

I really dig the new custodian's response. It's good to know that this wonderful piece is still in good hands. Thanks for sharing that, John D.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

And a big thanks to JohnD. Like I needed another mandolin! I was surely tempted; however. Just a lovely project that included so many great people - almost cyber friends! Congratulations!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A