Thread: Words to live by...

Default Words to live by...

"To me, the single most overlooked item in folks' practice routines is playing rhythm and working on their timing," he said. "I feel you should work on this with the same thought as you do working on a solo. Now, granted, it's not nearly as fun, but it is just as important. Most of the playing that I do is in a bluegrass setting, and I've been very fortunate to have worked with some of the best players in that genre. The one thing that all of these folks concentrate on as much as any other part of their playing is their rhythm and timing. This is not to say that it's always going to be perfect or mechanical, or that it won't 'breathe' a bit. But it's very easy to play over when you're soloing. If you get into a jam session and it just doesn't feel very easy to solo or play along with, in most cases it's because it's loose rhythmically.

"Working with a metronome is very helpful with this. I'll set the metronome at the tempo a song will usually be played, and then I'll just hum the tune to myself and chop along. Again, this can get boring. But if you do this with tunes that you're working on or play regularly, I can assure you that you will reap the benefits. It will make you a more consistent player both rhythmically and in your solos. Always be aware of all the folks you are playing with and be sensitive to what they're doing. If they're playing softly, adjust what you're doing accordingly. If someone you're playing with is really hammering a section of a tune, stand on it a little. Think of the dynamic possibilities when you're playing and have fun with it."

Adam Steffey, as quoted by Bill Graham in his latest article...so logical, yet profound in its simplicity...I want to approach jams like Adam Steffey when I grow up, and if at least most did, we wouldn't need the dread "Stink Eye."

Chuck

Default Re: Words to live by...

You are right, that sums it up perfectly. I've heard musical veterans make the comment that it's easy to solo, hard to play rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    Now, granted, it's not nearly as fun, but it is just as important.
    Actually, I love playing rhythm. But I think that everyone, including melody and solo players, has to pay very close attention to rhythm and the groove. I don't see rhythm as a separate function - the groove and the rhythm are everyone's responsibility and without a solid groove - no matter how strong the breaks are - your going to sound mediocre at best. The melody players that can play with strong rhythmic content and enhance the groove set by a rhythm section are the ones that really make a band take off in my humble opinion.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Gerety View Post
    Actually, I love playing rhythm. But I think that everyone, including melody and solo players, has to pay very close attention to rhythm and the groove. I don't see rhythm as a separate function - the groove and the rhythm are everyone's responsibility and without a solid groove - no matter how strong the breaks are - your going to sound mediocre at best. The melody players that can play with strong rhythmic content and enhance the groove set by a rhythm section are the ones that really make a band take off in my humble opinion.
    Good post! I agree. I love to put practice tracks on and just play rhythm. I consider it as important in my practice routine as lead. And, of course, it enhances what ever lead playing I do. As Rob pointed out it's not a separate skill it's part of the whole.

You've gotta be able to play lead and rhythm, and I agree I think it's harder to play rhythm (esp if you're accompanying someone who won't keep steady time themselves), at least at this stage of the game...esp when you talk about coloring your accompaniment beyond the basic chop. The key thing, I think, in addition to rhythm, is just the ability to listen to those you're playing with and adjust your tempo/rhythm/volume...a mediocre player who's willing to listen and can adapt on the fly will be much more fun to play with than an ace who just won't play with others (even if it means playing down to their level)...
    Chuck

Metronomes are great but I prefer a drum machine though many are limited to time signatures that can be devided by 4. I feel they give a better sense of "groove". Practicing with recordings where I lay down a guitar & bass rhythm helps as well.
    Jim Richmond

i studied rhythm from 6th - 10th grade.. (percussion, marching band.. lol)

the teacher i had in middle school "beat" it into me...
    :B

Timing is probably my weak point these days. I play mostly solo fingerstyle guitar that has more of a modal expression rather than being in a strict rhythm pattern. But with the mandolin I plan on changing that. I want to be more structured with this instrument so I can interact with others. I also found I can't get used to a metronome and use a drum machine for this purpose. Yes I too believe rhythm/timing is very important. I don't think it would be a stretch to say it's the foundation of organized music.

Joe

very wise words and SO true ...

I am so glad my early teachers MADE me buy a metronome and practice with it. In fact I still practice with a metronome although I now use an online one (www.metronomeonline.com).

You know what's strange? I have met and been friends with several musicians who had very severe and obvious timing problems and I have found there is no easy way to suggest to them that a metronome will help them.

They get defensive and deny it. I just don't say anything now.

Quote Originally Posted by jim_n_virginia View Post
    You know what's strange? I have met and been friends with several musicians who had very severe and obvious timing problems and I have found there is no easy way to suggest to them that a metronome will help them.

If you can't admit you need to learn something, you'll never get to learn it. A lot of the best rhythm players (on any instrument) are great specifically because they make a point of practicing their timing and steadiness. Conversely, if you're not willing to admit you have room for improvement, you'll never improve. Humility is the key.

I'm getting into this as a "Irish music singer who plays mandolin" rather than a "mandolinist who sings Irish songs," so to me, the ability to play rhythm is extremely important. But even after 20 years of drumming and a dozen years of playing bodhran and rhythm guitar, I'm still working on it. I keep hoping to find a nice pendulum metronome at a yard sale, I'm still on a pretty tight budget and the "beeb-bip, beep-bip" of the electronic ones I can afford is... unsatisfying.
    If I call my guitar my "axe," does that mean my mandolin is my hatchet?

Breedlove Quartz KF
    Kit Built Oval Hole
    Martin 000M
    Highland Harp

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/mattdeblass2

Feed My Ego, Visit My Youtube Page

Quote Originally Posted by jim_n_virginia View Post

One way to point out the problem, without pointing out the problem, is to get them to tap their foot while they play. Suggest that everyone in the band do it on a particular song so you aren't singling anyone out. You'll find a lot of people can't do it... and it will be obvious (Or should be obvious) to them that they have a problem. Even better is to get one of those Porch Board bass foot tapping things and have everyone in the band take turns keeping time for the band.... it will be an eye opening experience. Even better is to use a metronome in conjunction with that to see how far off you get.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt DeBlass View Post
    I keep hoping to find a nice pendulum metronome at a yard sale, I'm still on a pretty tight budget and the "beeb-bip, beep-bip" of the electronic ones I can afford is... unsatisfying.
    I recommend the Seiko SQ50V. It's electronic but it has a good solid "tock" sound, a sensible dial, and a volume control. 30 bucks or a bit less.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    I recommend the Seiko SQ50V. It's electronic but it has a good solid "tock" sound, a sensible dial, and a volume control. 30 bucks or a bit less.
    A slight hijack here! David, does it have enough volume to deal with a banjo?

Quote Originally Posted by Charley wild View Post
    A slight hijack here! David, does it have enough volume to deal with a banjo?
    Yes, I use it with my 5 string all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    Yes, I use it with my 5 string all the time.
    Thanks. Could be dangerous here, admitting we're banjo players!

Quote Originally Posted by Charley wild View Post
    Thanks. Could be dangerous here, admitting we're banjo players!
    I know, I was trying to keep it quiet, but I guess I've blown my cover now

5 string guilt here, too......talk about the importance of rhythm, man...

I still think it's extremely cool that Steffey is humble and wise enough to actively practice his rhythm work...of course, part of his gift is the desire or at least willingness to do the work.

bh green...I'll admit I cracked ever so slight a smile, right about the time the symbol crashed in the "ba-dum-crash" playing in me head...

Jim, thanks for the metronome link...I've been scouting out our local stores for one (and may still get one for portability), but I'll get on that link tonight...

Chuck

Ah, just tap your foot. If that don't work, tap the next guy's foot.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Blog Entries

There aren't enough good bass players in the world. If there were, then it would be easy to learn rhythm and timing by jamming with them.

Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nestlerode View Post
    There aren't enough good bass players in the world. If there were, then it would be easy to learn rhythm and timing by jamming with them.

Daniel
    A big AMEN, there! A GOOD Bass player will make everything you do seem effortless.
    Steve Perry
    Sumi SF5 Birdseye

"Quit thinkin'... Just play"

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nestlerode View Post
    I dunno about that making it easy.
    I spent a long time playing bass, had some great teachers and worked hard with the metronome. I got to the point where on most gigs it was a lot easier to wait that extra three bars for the singer to come in, add a beat when the guitar player added one and above all steer the time confidently but very gently without ever forcing the issue....no leader likes a time nazi. In other words straighten folks out without them knowing you did it. A few guys heard it and became more aware but most didn't.
    Not saying you're one of those guys.....just saying it makes for a more fun night when you're not taking your bandmates to school all the time.
    jeff bonny

No truer words ever spoken !. If you can't keep good time with other musicians then you're sunk.
    In (almost) every post where new players have asked for advice,personally,i've advocated learning chords to tunes/songs & playing rhythm just to be able to 'play along' - simply because that's the way i did it, & if it worked for me (as NOT the world's finest musician),then it'll work for others.
    Regarding Bass players - doesn't everything else seem to 'come together' when a good Bass player joins in !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.