Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "F" or "A" Mandolin

Default Re: "F" or "A" Mandolin

Capo,

There's nothing wrong with the MM50, per se, if you really want a scroll. The tops are at least solid, though the back and sides are laminate (ie, plywood). Some are pretty nice sounding mandos, some aren't...buying without trying, I'd go with the Kentucky A every time provided you don't mind their shallower neck profile, because it's all solid and I think their QC has improved over the last couple of years. Resale is also a little easier b/c of their rep for quality entry level instruments.

If you can try/compare the 2, get the one that sounds the best and plays the easiest for you. It's not like you're comparing a Collings or Gibson to an Epiphone...they're both entry level instruments, though some of the Kentucky mandos are extremely good for the price...may also consider a used Kentucky 675 or 630 if you're set on having a scroll...
    Chuck

The general consensus seems to be that you should go with the A. I have both so have no axe to grind. The advantage of the F is that you have somewhere easy to attach a strap but my advice would be to play them both and buy the one you like best. Its up to you and no-one else.
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    jim is obviously kidding folks. He even owns an a-style or two! But i'll chop my a5 in his ear a few times at our next jam just to make sure he remembers!
    you will too!!!

Tony Bare

If you take an F style plan, fold it on the center line, cut off one scroll and two points, you have a plan for an a style mandolin. The sound chamber, the arch, the scale length, the graduations are the same. The sound is the same. The weight is lighter. The headstock is lighter so it is better balanced. The F cost 2/3 more cause the scroll is a real pain to carve and to bind. I know because I am in the middle of binding one now. I ran out of cuss words and had to make up some new ones. From a practical standpoint for X amount of money you get more mandolin if you get an A. That said---aint nothin prettier than a hand made F with pretty figured maple and lots of inlay.
    Tony Bare