Thread: Far off, but always timely

Default Far off, but always timely

Greetings, one and all.

Although March is admittedly far off, promoting the abilities of our beloved instrument is IMHO always timely.

In short, I have been graciously invited to present a lecture on a topic that has interested me over my entire composing career, and that has been on my "top shelf" recently-- you may recall the mando-tidbits I composed right before summer vacation.

Here is the link:

http://sites.bergen.org/njgms/calendar.html

It goes without saying that I would be honored and delighted to see any familiar faces on that occasion. The lecture, as it is taking shape at present, is addressed to those who may play, and might also wish to write for plucked instruments. These thoughts, of course, are still "cooking"... I hope that the final product will stimulate at least some among the audience to go home and try their hand at a richer, layered manner of writing for plucked instruments.

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Default Re: Far off, but always timely

Hello Victor,

Great news. And congratulations to you and your composing work for mandolin and guitar!

Such invitations make sence; I am sure lectures like the one you will present there really contribute - because of the direct line(s) between the composer, his/her composition, the performer and the audience - to the understanding of composing for plucked instruments!

Five stars for the New Jersey Guitar & Mandolin Society!

Cheers,

Alex
    Last edited by Alex Timmerman; Aug-20-2009 at 5:21pm.

Thank you, Alex! You, of course, are very experienced in giving such lectures; for me, it is a first. Although I am a regular, week-in, week-out lecturer in Music Theory, Harmony, and the like, this is something quite different. I have started thinking about what to say, and plan to make some notes, keep the better ideas, scrap the rest...

What I do know at least is what music of mine I will use to showcase polyphonic writing for plucked instruments —which topic is, of course, the transparent allusion of my poetic "Voice(s) Inside". I have already decided on my Studio a quattro for the mandolinists in the audience, and the Preludio of my Mimose for the guitarists— the latter one edited by one of the world's greatest authorities on the subject.

I hope that the lecture will be inspiring. I don't so much wish that the participants will be oh-so-impressed by the music that I have written, as that they will be motivated to go home and write some of their own musical ideas in a richer, deeper, more artistic idiom. That, at least, is what I hope and aspire to.

Cheers, and thanks for your encouragement.

Victor

Victor,

That is great. I sure hope that you have someone record (preferably video) your lecture so that it can be shared with those of us who will not be able to see it in person (maybe for a small donation to the charity of your choice?).
    MLT
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra
    Classical Mandolin Society of America
    Labraid Cytole

Thank you for your kind words. The actual management of these lectures is, of course, not up to me; what you say is perfectly OK with me, and I would gladly approve of such a proposal, if made, if possible. The beneficiary should, IMHO, naturally be the institution behind the event.

Above all individual participants, the applause belongs mostly to the collective efforts of all the good folks at the Guitar & Mandolin Society, who are making all of this possible. For me, for any of us to preach the Gospel of Pluckery, someone's got to provide the soapbox-- and, most importantly, the forum. I am grateful to have been invited, and hope to do this occasion justice.

Cheers,

Victor