Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is it ok to hate bluegrass yet still play the mandolin?

Default Is it ok to hate bluegrass yet still play the mandolin?

I absolutely loathe bluegrass. In my opinion, it's the most repetitive, shallowest genre of music out there. This is not meant to downplay the skill it take to be a bluegrass musician, for that is beyond argument. I just can't stand the sound of it. Furthermore, I must admit, rather shamefully, that I don't picture it as a cool genre of music. I would never want to be seen playing it.

What I want to know is whether or not it's possible for a mandolinist to fit in with other genres of music, such as blues, rock, even pop. It seems to me that the mandolin is used almost exclusively for country/cultural (Celtic, Scottish, etc.) music. When I get older, I want to play my mandy in a full scale band that doesn't treat it as a novelty. However, as of yet, I haven't seen a single band that would giver me any hope as to ever seeing this happen. Is this because the mandolin isn't capable of what I'm describing, or is it because it simply hasn't been attempted?

Default Re: Is it ok to hate bluegrass yet still play the mandolin?

Quote Originally Posted by makemeasammich View Post
    What I want to know is whether or not it's possible for a mandolinist to fit in with other genres of music, such as blues, rock, even pop. It seems to me that the mandolin is used almost exclusively for country/cultural (Celtic, Scottish, etc.) music....
    listen to some Led Zeppelin... they make good use of the mando.

so answer is of course

Furthermore, I must admit, rather shamefully, that I don't picture it as a cool genre of music. I would never want to be seen playing it.
    lol. It is very cool...at least to the bluegrassers.

In answer to your question, of course, yes. The mando-family is extremely versatile. Check into various ethnic forms (of which bluegrass is but one); lots of opportunity for mandos. Also, since mando is bluegrass's signature instrument, a lot of people will be asking you to play BG during your lifetime. Perhaps think about another instrument: fiddle and CBOM. Fiddle is one of the most prevalent instruments in music: more opportunities to exploit in many styles with less emphasis on rockin-rhythmic genres like BG. I'm not a grasser perse, and I tend to play mandola and CBOM more than mando. And of course fiddle..

The mandolin can play all types of music- Jazz, classical, Celtic, even Bluegrass. I have played mandolin for years without Bluegrass. It's not my favorite type of music but once you "hate" it and shut yourself off from it you lose out on some really creative picking. I can't be bothered with hating it.
    Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
    Favorite Mandolin of the week: 2013 Collings MF Gloss top.

It's perfectly okay to loathe bluegrass and love mandolin. Whether it's okay to loathe bluegrass and survive on the Cafe' is another question entirely.
    Bob DeVellis

6. The following members say thank you to Bob DeVellis for this post:

The mandolin is a little limited by its scale, but, truly, the sky's the limit. Youtube Sam Bush...in addition to excellent newgrass/bluegrass/jazz he plays some flat NASTY slide/blues mando and some pretty smokin' electric rock mando (or check him out on woodsongs). Youtube Dawg (more newgrass and jazz, but he can play it all). Youtube Chris Thile--there are frequently heated debates about whether he should be mentioned in the list of "best bluegrass mando-heads," though he's clearly an exceptional player. Tom Petty and the heartbreakers use a fair amt of mando, and many classic rock bands used mando with reasonable frequency as well. And, of course, everyone has heard Losing my Religion and Maggie May whether they realize it or not.

If you learn to play it well, you'll be able to make it work for whatever you choose. That said, there are some things the mandolin excels at that make it ideal for BG/Celtic/etc, and much of the beginner material out there is geared towards these genres. I'll admit to loving BG and thinking it's cool, esp after sitting in on a little jam with a young band last spring and just being amazed at their musicianship, but it's only a portion of what I listen to, and I didn't always like it as much as I do now...I've got everything ranging from country to BG to old time to contemporary Christian/Christian rock to jazz to alternative (the good stuff from the 90s, like Primus and young RHCP/Jane's Addiction/etc) to classic rock to heavy rock/metal, and even a little classical and rap. I'm also becoming more of a fan of good acoustic music that doesn't necessarily fall into those genres (see Keller Williams, the Wiyos, Avett Bros)...

I would have to argue that current pop/techno/rap border on being more shallow and repetetive, but that's for another thread . Bottom line is, play what you want. If you find that mando's not for you there a lots of other instruments out there to choose from. But, someday you'll be old like me, and who knows what you'll like then.
    Chuck

And, dude, get yourself some overalls...then you'll find yourself loving Red Man, coon hounds, AND bluegrass, and it won't be an issue!
    Chuck

All the same notes as any other fretted stringed instruments, now, if the other players you have around are not open minded enough to let you even sit in , that is a separate issue .

Got enough material to start looking for others to play with you?

get the start of your own jam group .. around a big table in a public place that anyone can drop in.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

Wouldn't be a good thing to mention in my part of the country, but it's ok for anyone to loathe any kind of music. A band back in the '70's had a mandolin in it for every hit song they had, and they had quite a few, Seals and Croft, one of their biggest hits was a song called "Diamond Girl". Although I've been a Bluegrasser from day one, I also enjoyed their music as well other soft rock bands, and do enjoy any well played acoustic music, jazz, blues, stuff the Eagles did, James Taylor. But I was born, bred, and raised on Bill Monroe and the rest of us Bluegrass fiends.

Something tells me the OP is youthful and probably isn't going to go for Seals and Croft, JT, and all the "soft rock" stuff..

How about Flogging Molly, Pogues, Waterboys, (Zepplin), Sam..Chris..

It's OK if you aren't into bluegrass -- many of us here are not, myself included -- but not wanting to play it because others might think you uncool is sort of a lame excuse. You are in charge of defining who you are as a musician -- and as a person for that matter -- and worrying about how others might perceive you will only limit your growth. Plus, you might be able to learn some tricks from bluegrassers that help out your rock playing.

Regarding your closing question, I think you can use a mandolin successfully in almost any genre of music...with the possible exception of Polka.
    Last edited by Jim MacDaniel; Aug-17-2009 at 7:26pm.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

It can be and should be used in polka music.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Irish polkas on mando are effective.

Tried-and-true but non-bluegrass applications of mandolin:

classical (lots)
    Irish/Scottish/"Celtic"
    Jazz (Jethro Burns, Don Stiernberg)
    Western Swing (Tiny Moore, Johnny Gimble)
    Cajun (Tommy Comeaux with Beausoleil, back before they got "big")

And yes, I've played polkas on a mandolin with my friend Art Peterson and his band "The Polka Cowboys"! "Jesse Polka" (aka "Jesujito en Chihuaha") is a fave.
    Last edited by EdSherry; Aug-17-2009 at 7:21pm.
    EdSherry

Quote Originally Posted by Jim MacDaniel View Post
    Regarding your closing question, I think you can use a mandolin successfully in almost any genre of music...with the possible exception of Polka.
    Now that you mention it, the mando would probably sound pretty out of place in a hip hop or techno band. Unless it was an electric, and then you could filter it easier.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Is this because the mandolin isn't capable of what I'm describing, or is it because it simply hasn't been attempted?
    You're limited only by your imagination and expertise. And, to some extent, your exposure to its capabilities. There's no reason an instrument often thought of as being suitable for one type of music can't be used for others. For examples, accordion was regulated mostly to polkas and European folk music* until Weird Al rocked it, flute was used mostly in classical and a bit in jazz until Ian Anderson rocked it, banjo was used mostly in country, folk, and bluegrass until Bela Fleck transformed it. It's my firm belief that mandolin is capable of a much wider range of genres than commonly assumed, and just needs the right person to make the world at large aware of this. I've long thought that's me, but it could be you. I don't care, as long as it gets done!

Along with Ed Sherry's list, mandolin has been played in the blues (Yank Rachell, Carl Martin, Johnny Young, just to name a few). The point he and others (and I) are making is you should take a look and listen to what's already been done with the instrument beyond bluegrass.

Personally, I've played every genre I can on mandolin: rock, blues, folk, pop, swing, jug band, reggae, calypso, cajun, and even occasionally bluegrass and country. Go to my myspace page for some examples. I started playing in the late 60s and am very much a product of that era's freewheeling approach to music. I've adapted the instrument to my musical vision, not the other way around, though I'm all for using its unique characteristics. It's like any instrument - you play what you want on it, and find a way to make it work. Maybe you should get an electric. Metal strings vibrating over a magnetic pickup and put through effects and an amp sounds like rock and roll to me!

And as I am fond of saying, when people say something can't be done, it really means it just hasn't been done - yet!

*It shows up in cultures around the globe (thanks, sailors!), I'm just saying ...
    Last edited by journeybear; Aug-17-2009 at 6:47pm.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I don't see why a mandolin can't fit in to any band. but I would encourage you to give bluegrass a chance

Blog Entries

ok im sorry im sick to my stomach!!!
    Tone Gard

Mandolin works quite well for middle-eastern folk music/belly dance. You need an amp if you have multiple drummers, though.

Thank you so much for your responses guys. And Mr. MacDaniel, you're absolutely correct. I am terribly self aware, and am trying desperately to get over it. I shouldn't worry about how others perceive my music since that greatly impedes innovation, and there would be no music without innovation. Of course, talking the talk is also one of my greatest skills. Walking the walk, eh...not so much.

Personally, when I encountered double-course stringed instruments, it compelled me to begin exploration of exotic musical forms, mostly from other continents, of which mandolin and "old-time" American string music is but a "modern" manifestation. Old-time is a good place to start, and it certainly needn't end there.

But really, as long as you're in the US, when people see you with your "little guitar" case, I guarantee you'll be asked to play Duelin Banjos more than once in your lifetime. The only way to avoid it is to assume playing of an instrument that isn't confused with a guitar (and even then, you'll still be asked..) My expectation is that if you're a mando player and play for people, you'll likely eventually have a few BG chops in your bag...like it or not. It's like playing tuba and being unwilling to blow a few "oom-pahs" now and again..

I have been playing Bluegrass, Country, Rock etc., for years on guitar, and my take on Bluegrass is that is a ton of fun to play, can be fun to see live, but can be hard to listen to if you aren't a picker who appreciates the skill that you are hearing.

As for the flexibility of the Mando for other types of music, I have heard the Mandolin played respectably by folks playing blues, jazz, some classical, a bit of rock and lots of your more standard country. I think it is up to the player to play the instrument in the style that best suits him or her.

I think it's fine that bluegrass music isn't your cup of tea, even on the cafe, but you do seem to have a strong contempt for the stuff, like you're dragging a whole lot of other cultural things into it. When I was a kid I hated opera because I thought it was all about stuck-up people being too formal about their music. But as I grew older I began to appreciate it. I'm still no opera buff, but I find when I try to understand an art form it's very seldom the evil I may have once projected it to be. It warms on you. Anything so many people take so doggedly to heart can't be (and isn't) all bad... but you don't have to love it.

If you are that concerned about the 'cool' factor, you should just pick up a guitar.
    Heiden F-5 #110
    GMC Terrain VIN 2GTEC13Z871107423
    2007 Tempurpedic mattress
    $1.35 in assorted change

I don't listen to or play bluegrass at all. Just don't care for it. I really imprinted on the mandolin hearing it in Irish music, particularly Andy Irvine's playing.
    Steve