Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: De Meglio Bowlback Strings Question

Default Re: De Meglio Bowlback Strings Question

0.011" is higher than I'd go for continuous long-term tension on a canted soundboard. The only way to really find out for your individual instrument is the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    0.011" is higher than I'd go for continuous long-term tension on a canted soundboard. The only way to really find out for your individual instrument is the hard way.
    Thanks!
    Are you familiar with Optima Black Label? Gauges are 10, 13, 22, 35

I'm familiar with their existence. Unfortunately, I've never tried them to form an opinion. My favorites on Neapolitan-type mandolins are Dogal's "Calace" brand carbon steel, which are gauged only slightly lighter than what you've listed for Black Label.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    I'm familiar with their existence. Unfortunately, I've never tried them to form an opinion. My favorites on Neapolitan-type mandolins are Dogal's "Calace" brand carbon steel, which are gauged only slightly lighter than what you've listed for Black Label.
    From what I understand, the Dogal Calace are gauged 10, 14, 24, 34, making them slightly heavier than the Black Label.
    I'm a little concerned about the 22 gauge D string on the Black Labels. It seems a little too light.

5. The following members say thank you to Ntone for this post:

Ah, I should have checked, but Dogal specs don't seem widely available. If you try the Black Label, I am curious for your impressions.

7. The following members say thank you to Eugene for this post: