Thread: Virzi Tone Producer for a Mandola

Default Virzi Tone Producer for a Mandola

I will be making a H5 mandola from a Siminoff kit this fall for my teenage daughter. She is a viola player. On occasion I can get to play fiddle tunes with me.

Question for this esteemed group- should I add a Verzi to the mandola? Would it markedly improve the tone of the instrument?

Thanks-

Default Re: Virzi Tone Producer for a Mandola

The Virzi adds a very very subtle effect to the overall sound of a mando-type instrument. To me, it's more of a chorus or light reverb effect. Is it a marked improvement? Probably not but it does lend a "bit" more complexity to the sound. I say "go for it".

IMO it would be easier to add the Virzi during the building process rather than try to retrofit it afterwards. I have a Duff H-5 mandola with a Virzi and could not be happier with the sound. I do sometimes wonder what it would sound like without a Virzi but I'll never find out since I would not ever remove it. The closest I'll ever come to satisfying my curiosity is playing another Duff H-5 without a Virzi.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

I think Mike Compton plays a Duff '5' style mandola also; don't know if it has a Virzi or not. There is a good clip of him playing Monroe's Mississippi Waltz on it on Youtube.

Thanks for the info Evan. I'll do a search for it on YouTube and also try to get more info on his specific instrument. I'm sure that 'dola sounds great in Mike Compton's very capable hands with or without a Virzi.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Mike's H5 is not fitted with a Virzi. You can get a pretty good idea of the tone from the Mississippi Waltz clip mentioned above and there is another clip which really gives you a good idea of the tone with Mike playing a duet with my wife Maria on double bass. A great combination of tones!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzxxh-lZbc0
    Paul