Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Must know Celtic tunes

Default Re: Must know Celtic tunes

I don't know that it is a meat but it certainly is a very heavy bread!

Well great info and I will find some of the recordings mentioned. As far as sessions doubtful I'll ever be in the right place at the right time here in the middle of all this open land. I can hope though! I can also check the local music store to see what they know of players around here. Thanks everyone!

Oh and just how long is a guiness good for. I just found a bottle in the back of the fridge it must be a year old at least! Almost like Christmas!
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

[QUOTE=John McGann

...some bluegrass-oriented folks might not be aware that in trad Irish sessions, everyone plays the melody all at once; there are no 'breaks' or solos, it's a big mass organism playing the melody together (it was a surprise to me when I discovered that fact)...not the world's most varied set of arranging techniques!

Didn't know that. Thanks. I have been invited to pick at an Irish session that happens every 3rd Thrs. of the month at a little Irish restaurant/pub called Kelts. Better start practiceing up on the melodies.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John McGann View Post

Though historically the Celtic tribes originated over yonder, Eastern European music is seen as it's own set of idioms/tunes/dances. It's great music, but has little to do with what's called "Celtic" music. Bulgarian music, for example, is fantastic, wonderful stuff, and they use a lot of odd time signatures like 11, 13 etc.!)
    There was a band called Kornog, back in 90s I think, that did an amazing juxtaposition of Irish traditional tunes and some Bulgarian music. It was really something to hear. The Irish tunes set up a set of expectations, and the Bulgarian seemed to exceed those expectations. I remember thinking it was like "more Irish than Irish" which is meaningless of course but you get the idea.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    There was a band called Kornog, back in 90s I think, that did an amazing juxtaposition of Irish traditional tunes and some Bulgarian music. It was really something to hear. The Irish tunes set up a set of expectations, and the Bulgarian seemed to exceed those expectations. I remember thinking it was like "more Irish than Irish" which is meaningless of course but you get the idea.
    Kornog played mostly Breton music; I toured with Christian LeMaitre from the band along with Kevin Burke and Johnny Cunningham on the first Celtic Fiddle Festival tour/ Green Linnet CD.

John McGann sent you an email.

Sorry sent an email to the one listed on your skype link below. Am interested in lessons maybe.