Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 3 Guitars in Kentucky Thunder

Default Re: 3 Guitars in Kentucky Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    ) when jazz began transitioning
    Being a diehard traditionalist as an English major, I find the modern (mis)use of the word "transition" by "verbing" it, ain't no part of nothin'.
    Mr. Bill quite liked the use of the cello (sello, as he pronounced it} in "My Last Days on Earth"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    Being a diehard traditionalist as an English major, I find the modern (mis)use of the word "transition" by "verbing" it, ain't no part of nothin'.
    Yeah, I think you'd want to aggressively defense that verbal solecism, before it impacts the English vocabulary more than it has.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Ouch

Mr. Bill quite liked the use of the cello (sello, as he pronounced it} in "My Last Days on Earth"

Yeah, but did he carry a cello fellow on the bus?

He did have a pretty mellow fellow playing the banjo for a while.

You're correct, sir, and I admit my misuse...part of the problem with typing things quickly at work, when tired or up late, etc, is that often formal training gives way to stream of consciousness or, even worse, hurried responses containing typographical errors (note the bracket at the conclusion of the following phrase):

(sello, as he pronounced it}

As an English major myself, I apologize, and understand. The misuse that annoys me the most, I think, is the substitution of "aggravates" for "annoys." The misuse of "lay" is also particularly bothersome. But, what's a guy to do?

I still like the archtop, and am quite fond of the cello myself...
    Chuck

Personally, I am most annoyed by "leverage" being used as a verb. But nothing compares to the widespread substitution (in all kinds of print) of "it's" for "its".

Strict grammar may well be a dying entity. My wife and I have already had disagreements with our son's sixth grade teacher on her "correction" of comma placement in his essays.

cheers,

David
    Think globally, bike locally.

Two of my favorites:

"Administrate" for "administer" -- working backwards from "administration," I guess. What's next, "organizate" for "organize"?

And the lost objective case for pronouns when used in combinations: "So the banjo player said to Jim and I..." You'd never say, "The banjo player said to I," but put it in combination, "me" gets dropped for "I" more and more. I hear this all the time; fingernails on the blackboard, but it seems to be taking over.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Alan, I'm with you on the "I/me" issue, and frequently roll my eyes as a result of "us/we" errors as well. I had forgotten about this one earlier, but "irregardless" probably drives me crazier than all of the others!!

I rarely proof anything I put up on here, as I'm usually checking in during breaks in the daily action (and tend to post as we often speak rather than as we should speak), and have laughed at myself often when reading my posts in threads that go away for awhile and then pop back up. I'm always careful about grammar, spelling, etc, when I write something for work or that I know will be read "officially," though. I recently refused to let one of my children participate in a "Lifestyle Choices" survey offered at school by a very prestigious local university (it wasn't Wake Forest, Davidson, or UNC, but I won't name any names . It asked some good questions and was looking for information that may help us understand why our children choose to (or, hopefully, NOT to) participate in risky behaviors. BUT, there were 3 misspellings in the first page and probably as many grammatical errors. The misspellings you can blame on spell-check (they substituted "tires" for "tries" and it wasn't caught, as an example), but I figure if they're not concerned enough to do the proposal correctly, well, let's just say my children are not participating in the study.

Mike, btw, I recently typed a typo in a grammatical correction post made in good fun, too, but managed to catch it shortly after posting...feel free to bust (or is it "burst?") me anytime!! Heck, there's probably something in this one that' incorrect...

Chuck

Way to hijack the thread, Mike! But, it's fun. Most of the complaints we have here seem to come from people trying to puff up their ideas so that they might carry more weight than they actually merit. I used to work on the union side of a large corporation where I found the level of language competence to be in a sad state. My first meeting with transition as a verb came in a memo from the head engineer who I called on it. He came to see me for an English lesson,what a laugh to see that. We are good friends by the way.

Wouldn't that be "on whom I called?" Or at least "whom I called"?

Fun with quotation marks left in on purpose. <g>

cheers,

David
    Think globally, bike locally.

Also, I don't mean t' kiticize undu, somebimes I dgust get grouchy, ligguistical speakigg.

Stop "prosecutin'", Mike!!

Chuck

zeemumbai

I saw Ricky Skaggs yesterday at Fresh Grass. I love Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder and what a treat to see him again...but, I have to admit: I didn't stay until the end because the Third Guitar player was so distracting. His guitar is neither mic'ed nor plugged in (it was more like bizarre prop than an instrument). Even though I am an amateur bluegrass mandolinist, I can see: (i) his "chop work" was terrible (it's almost like he's pretend playing) and (ii) he kept playing the same chords even as the band changed keys. I heard somewhere that he is the tour's Bus Driver. What gives? Please somebody help me out here.
    Last edited by zeemumbai; Sep-19-2016 at 10:32am.

Blog Entries

Maybe he owns the bus. That might get you on stage

Blog Entries

Ed Faris is a really good picker...multi-instrumentalist. Really good on dobro, mandolin and a great vocalist too. Does a lot of recording and sound engineering in addition.

So.. strange. No idea what was going on there, but I guarantee - the guy can pick!
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

I have not seen him with Kentucky Thunder. I have seen him with the Faris Family Band several times. He is in Ricky's band because he is a good player. I do not know why that would not come across with Ricky's band.

I'm sure Ricky knows exactly the sound he wants. I don't think this will catch on with most bands because they probably do not want to split up the money any more than they must. I've never seen him live, but I'd love to one of these days! They have some amazing pickers that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Snyder View Post
    The Wilders (local heros) rock on old country and fiddle tunes with an archtop. Mother Carter played an archtop. Daley and Vincent sound pretty good with Vincent playing an archtop. Gillian Welch has a six string guy that can flat tear it up on archtop. The dred is not the only guitar that can exell, much as the F5 isn't the only mandolin worth playing. Ricky knows what he's doing. He sells records, packs in the crowds, and we're always chewing his leg off online. His hair, his mandolin, his guitar players. He is among the blessed few who carry the torch for the kind of music my grandpa and I love. And bless him for going old time on his latest recording. I'll be buying that one.

Say it brother!
    Gibson F-5G (Harvey signed, Oct. 14, 2014)

..."[Andy Leftwich plays guitar on occasion, as does Ricky, but is mainly the fiddle player....]"

Andy is also a killer mandolin player. Like so many high level bluegrass players, just when you couldn't hate them enough for being a monster (mandolin, banjo, bass, guitar, reso-guitar, fiddle) player you find out most of the members of KT (and many other bands) are very accomplished multi-instrumentalists.

Even an irrelevant nobody like myself can hold my own with most on flat picking guitar, mandolin, banjo, and bass. Mind you I'm not at the level of any member of KT on any instrument. But I'm not all that hopelessly behind either. Like anyone else, just give me time. I'm sure there are a significant number of people on this forum who could play in KT and give a very good account of themselves.
    Gibson F-5G (Harvey signed, Oct. 14, 2014)