Thread: Galax :

Blog Entries

Default Galax :

Galax fiddlers convention began yesterday. Competition started today. Anybody on here going ? I'm headed up on Friday. Friday & Saturday Bluegrass band competition.

Default Re: Galax :

I wish I could go but had things to do. This young gal and friend who plays music in my circle of friends was up there in the fiddle competition. Jessica Zelinski age 16

She was in the youth division last year in her first competition and she took
    4th place.

I hope she does well she is turning out to be one heck of a fiddler.

I would put her versions of Orange Blossam Special, Lee Highway Blues and Wheel Hoss against most ANYBODY'S she's THAT good!

Blog Entries

yep Jim there's alot of talented youngsters out there. I and my wife are going up Friday morning. It's about a hour drive from my house. Going to play in a scratch band with some old friends just to get my money back for admission. Mostly looking forward to hooking up with old picking pals from long ago and doing some watch the sun come up jamming, that is if this old man can stand that kinda thing anymore. I believe picking the good music will overcome my weakness, hope so anyway. I ain't been there in 29 years, I thought it was 30 but the wife says 29. Things sure have changed in that time. Used to be no such thing as instrument vendors at these things, looking forward to that to. Taking my thumb and finger picks to try out some banjers, as I'm kinda startv looking for one. Oldest boy wants the one I have now. I believe that we are going to have a LARGE time of fun.

My friend called me from there today and she said it rained almost all day!

Rain at Galax? Will wonders never cease?

If anyone runs into my Dad there, tell him to turn his darn phone on
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

And tell him I'm looking for him too!

went last night about 9:00 had quit raining.heard one good jam with adam steffey.didn't get going good till about 1:ooam.going back tonight.

Blog Entries

Me and the missus just returned home this morning. Going back in a l;ittle while. Weather last night was great at Galax. The guys I picked with all had left by 1:30 this morning, me and the wife found some ol' boys from up in Virgina , I jammed with them until 3:30, then turned in and back up at 6:40. Seen some old dear friends yesyterday, hoping top hook with some of them later tonight. Man I'm having a great time. My mandolin recieved a lot of compliments on it's tone and volume. Everybody thought it was an F-9, most had never heard of the Jam-Master series. Sure do love this mandolin, now I can be heard, no problem. Ya'll have a good'un.

Blog Entries

Galax is done again. Seen alot of fine musicians there and heard some good music. Very many mandolins of differant makes. Tried out 20 or so, ones I've only seen before in pictures etc. Nothing high priced, but out of the ones at a particular vendors site that I tried, there was one of those "The Loar" that I thought was the best mandolin he had there in which he agreed with me. Looked to me like that most of the mando pickers I saw there were playing mostly small luthier builts. Suprizingly a low number of Gibsons did I see compared to other higher end mandolins. A couple of folks tried out my JM and was impressed as they had never heard of/ or held one before. And these were very excellant players with high end mandos. I'm very tired, but I had a ton of fun. From Friday at 1:00 pm until Saturday morning at 3:15 am I played solid, and on Saturday I picked around 6 hours, so the old hands are kinda worn down today.

Just had to chime in re Galax. Had a great week there although I was under the weather. Thanks to Jeff Jenkins, Carl Kirby and the guys at Swingtown for letting me sit in. Promise next year I'll have more to contribute.
    For anyone interested in swing, jazz, and quite a few other genres (pretty much not bluegrass, though), this is the place to be. Some incredible music. Lots of the old standards, Texas swing, even hard bop.
    Carl does an A+++ job of hosting, as well as being one helluva bassist.
    1st-time Galax attendee Dennis Lee from Hampton Roads impressed a lot of people with his virtuosic bass playing. And Jeff is a superb jazz guitarist. So many really talented musicians. For me, there's no other place to be, but there's one ton of fine music going on all over the place at Galax. Viva Swingtown!

~~Joe Hannabach