Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bowlback mandolin in old time

Blog Entries

Default bowlback mandolin in old time

I don't know if there is a tradition of bowlback mandolins in old timey music - I suspect not, and I haven't heard of any, and the mandolin itself is kind of new to old time, but still.

I am having roaring good time playing my bowlback at OT jams. My Washburn (see my photo album) is a real boomer, and routinely blows the hair back.

Anyone else?

Lets show 'em that bowlback mandolin is not synonymous with classical mandolin.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Default Re: bowlback mandolin in old time

Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

And it's not just that he plays a bowlback, it's how he plays it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTU4_Apvplw

Blog Entries

Oh yea. He is pretty amazing.

The entire staff
    funny....

There is no tradition of any mandolin in oldtime music, but we'd better start one!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by susiakasinead View Post
    There is no tradition of any mandolin in oldtime music, but we'd better start one!!!
    Yea boy!

Its amazing how hard it is to find any pictures of bowlbacks in an old time music context. I seem to remember seeing a small old tme music newsletter, from the turn of the last century or something, with two bowlback manolins on the cover, one in a picture being played along side banjo and fiddle, and another line drawing in the masthead.

But I can't find it anywhere, so I must have been dreaming.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seminole%20blues.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	44780   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandolin_cd_coverpg_paintshop.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	44781  
    Last edited by JeffD; Aug-04-2009 at 2:50pm.

The entire staff
    funny....

There is one on film, though. At the very end of Cold Mountain, when they're having a picknick, one of the guys is playing a bowlback.

Blog Entries

Susi,
    Jack White (of the White Stripes) also played his bowlback during the Christmas party on the farm earlier in the movie. I was going to flippantly suggest that Jack White started the genuine Old Time Mandolin thing in Cold Mountain to get some folk's dander up but thought better of it... or did I just do it? People had a lot to say about Jack White and Old Time music for the Cold Mountain Soundtrack.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by John Flynn View Post
    And it's not just that he plays a bowlback, it's how he plays it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTU4_Apvplw
    I agree. Wow. Great!

In the wedding scene in the last season of Deadwood there is a band with a bowlback, If i remember correctly. Of course, this is prob not right either since the series takes place in 1854 (I think) and mandolins were pretty rare esp in the US then.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I think saying "there's no tradition of mandolin in oldtime music" is overstating the case. Ted Hawkins played with the Skillet Lickers; Paul Buskirk played with the Callahan Brothers in the '30's. Jack Grant played mandolin and banjo-mandolin with the Tenneva Ramblers, Jimmie Rodgers' back-up band. And if you consider "brother duets" as part of oldtime music, well, there were mandolins galore being played: Monroe Brothers, Blue Sky Boys, Karl & Harty, etc. etc. Patsy Montana's Prairie Ramblers even had a mandola player.

Obviously, a mandolin's not as common in an old-time band as it would be in a bluegrass band, but there was a lively mandolin presence in old-time music. Bands back then weren't as consciously restrictive in instrument selection as they seem to be now; you had quite a few harmonica players in the old-time bands, and "odd" instruments, from banjo-ukulele to Autoharp to cello, were found in quite a few ensembles.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Obviously, a mandolin's not as common in an old-time band as it would be in a bluegrass band, but there was a lively mandolin presence in old-time music. Bands back then weren't as consciously restrictive in instrument selection as they seem to be now; you had quite a few harmonica players in the old-time bands, and "odd" instruments, from banjo-ukulele to Autoharp to cello, were found in quite a few ensembles.
    I quite agree. We are not the star or co-star of OT, as can be said of the fiddle and banjo, but we are an established part of the supporting cast, and probably ahead of the "third villager".

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I quite agree. We are not the star or co-star of OT, as can be said of the fiddle and banjo, but we are an established part of the supporting cast, and probably ahead of the "third villager".
    I agree that's typically the case, and has been historically, but I don't agree that is necessarily the case. There are exceptions who prove that mandolin players can play whatever role we want in old-time, including being the "star." Some clear exceptions I see are Curtis Buckhannon and Clyde Curley. Then there are acts that straddle the line between bluegrass and old-time, but the mandolin is still the star: Skip Gorman; and Compton and Long. Then there are still other old-time acts where the mandolin is a strong"co-star" or "supporting actor," to keep with the movie rhetoric. Examples would be: The Ill-Mo Boys; The Sweets Mill String Band; Liedstrand, Lung and Green; and the Foghorn String Band. I'm sure there are other examples.

I took a mandolin workshop with Lil Rev once where he talk extensively about the role of the mandolin in old time. He is kind of a self-styled OT historian and he certainly is a walking encyclopedia of early OT recordings. He said the only thing that has ever held the mandolin back in the genre has been relative volume. His idea was that bowlbacks were around during the heyday of old time and probably played some role in small OT ensembles, but they lacked the volume and projection to keep up in the bigger ensembles. As the Gibson designs got out there, as well as banjo and resonator mandolins, the mandolin, which had been "waiting the wings" all along, started to come into its own.

Today, we have instruments with a lot more volume, as well as electronic sound support. I think there is every reason that now the mandolin can step out of the shadows of OT and take up whatever roles the people who play them have the talent to fulfill.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Flynn View Post
    I don't agree that is necessarily the case. There are exceptions who prove that mandolin players can play whatever role we want in old-time, including being the "star."
    Again I think that is spot on.

And the examples you gave are the same ones I would site.

But hey, lets make it a bowlback this time. Wouldn't it be cool if the bowlback became the "go-to" mandolin of old time. Why not? It would be like the violin having its evil twin in the fiddle. The bowlback, most often associated with classical mandolin, would have an evil twin in old time music. Think of what that would do to the manufacture and sales of bowlback mandolins. Well a fella can dream can't he?

About half the time I played at Swannanoa OT week I was on my Washburn. It has all the volume and punch. It did have what it takes. And it was a real hoot to play.

The entire staff
    funny....

Listen to Hawkins Rag -- sounds like a bowl-back to me. Whaddaya think?
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Whaddaya think?
    Could be.

I can't find any pictures of Ted Hawkins playing a bowlback. That would sinch it.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

I found a vid of Devilish Mary, with R. Crumb on the bowlback!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J07sExHyCnY&NR=1

The entire staff
    funny....

I'm no expert, but I'd kind of have a hard time believing that bowlbacks were not part of the original old-time scene.

People were making music with the instruments that came to them by whatever means, and bowlbacks were in circulation in the rural areas, if not to the extent that they circulated in places like New York City (with its high concentration of Italian immigrants). They'd have made their way to the countryside with the big westward migrations. Mandolins probably got packed into the wagon more often than pianos, for example.

They called them 'Tater Bugs, a distinctly rural term, because the bowls looked like the rounded backs of potato bugs. We largely remember the term because Jethro Burns named a song or two after them, but he was bringing it forward from where he had heard it.
    Doug Hoople
    Adult-onset Instrumentalist (or was that addled-onset?)

First, Thank you Allen for your comments, spot on as usual.
    Second, of course mandolins were used in Old Time music! If you look in the Old Time Stringband Songbook ( New lost City Ramblers, Oak Publications ) there are numerious photos of mandolin players, alot of them bowlbacks. There is also a fair amount of examples of the mandolin being used in black stringbands from the 20's and 30's. People used whatever they could get their hands on ( including cello's ) and mandolins were readily available.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Second, of course mandolins were used in Old Time music! If you look in the Old Time Stringband Songbook ( New lost City Ramblers, Oak Publications ) there are numerious photos of mandolin players, alot of them bowlbacks.

I have that very book, and I just went through it again for the last ten minutes, and there are lots of great pictures in there, but I can't find a bowlback. Nope. Can't find a single one.

But in general I do agree that bowlbacks must have been played in OT music. I just can't find many pictures.

The entire staff
    funny....

Hello,

I know that in the "Fiddlin' Powers Family Band" that his daughter Opha Lou played a bowlback mandolin.

Charles Powers - 5-string Banjo
    Ada Powers - Ukulele
    Opha Lou - Mandolin
    Carrie Belle Powers - Guitar
    James Cowan Powers - Fiddle

(I've tried to upload a photo, not sure if it is included in this message).

Name:	Fiddlin' Powers and his Family.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	44931  
    Regards,
    Henry

Sorry, I thought there was another on page 35 but after a closer look it appears to be a flat back. There is a cool photo of a guy playing a bowl back in the notes to Mandolin Classics vol. 1 though.
    Charley

Here is one.

Name:	docroberts1.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	44961  
    Charley

There are many, many pre WWII recordings of country/blues/ethnic music featuring or including the mandolin.

I wonder if modern (flat or carved instead of bowlback) mandolins were more in use in those days. Could "flat" mandos been cheaper or more available in catalogs? Would that kind of mandolin had more volume?
    Check this out:
    http://www.earlyblues.com/blues_singers.htm
    While only a few mandolins are listed they are all "flat" or banjo mandolins.

The Bowlback mandolin player in Deadwood is our own Rhinestone - Michael Johnstone. He's got some cool pics of himself and bowlback in costume...

I sometimes take my Martin Style 4 to an OT session. Can't compete with the banjos and the hammer-dulcimer though...