Thread: Vana Mandolins

Default Vana Mandolins

I enjoyed reading the article about Miroslav on the homepage. After looking at his website and listening to the soundclips, it really appears that this guy is the real deal. I think it's great that the internet, and the Cafe more specifically, has proven to be such a valuable resource for budding mandolin luthiers. There are just so many quality builders out there these days. Has anyone gotten their hands on one of these things? Not that I could possibly justify another mandolin.
    Heiden F-5 #110
    GMC Terrain VIN 2GTEC13Z871107423
    2007 Tempurpedic mattress
    $1.35 in assorted change

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Default Re: Vana Mandolins

No got hand on one... yet.

Iīm quite interested though. Jirkov (CZ) is not soooo very far. It is though from your neck of the woods.

What I found interesting in Bill Grahamīs article is this.

The czech luthiers have a great background of building instrument. If you look at Jaroslav Prucha, Jiri Lebeda and Pavel Janish, all of which may be best known for their banjos, you have a nice impression of what went on with building instruments in the Czech Republic starting in the late 80ies. These luthiers are very well respected.

Then go check out luthiers like Ondra Holoubeck. He builds resonator guitars, guitars and mandolins that sound and look great. Heīs pretty much a one man shop. You have Eduard Kristufek building Krishot mandolins. His brother builds banjos, if Iīm not mistaken. Krishot mandolins are appreciated quite a bit.

There are folks that fly under the radar (Novotny comes to mind), Adrian Minarovic (HoGo on the café) is known well here and there are others.

Now up come the "youngsters" like Miroslav Vana. You and Bill Graham - as myself - are impressed.

From the musical standpoint Iīd love to see, play and hear one of his instruments. The other thread got me interested. Apparently itīs not me alone.

Now comes the marketing aspect. You see, speaking english is not all that common in the Czech Republic. If you are into marketing your instruments, especially when you are in a very small niche (bluegrass mandolins for example), youīd better be able to carry on a conversation in the language that (most) of your customers speak. That would be anglais if Iīm not completely off. From the article I gathered that an interpreter was needed to carry on the conversation. Thatīs not a real problem in an informal setting. But what about business comunication when a builder is contacted about the fingerboard arch, binding, embellishements and all "that sort of thing". When I come to think about "the Stealth thread" I think about builder - customer conversation that is quite intense and sometimes goes public (which also is a nice marketing tool). I would guess that having to have an interpreter might slow bussiness down a bit...

Nevertheless, I had the plan to visit his shop. Miroslav Vana had been in the US at that time. So Bjorkman, you had a better chance to see him (at the Mandolin Symposium) than me at the time. I guess I may go visit in September...
    Olaf

I have yet to have the chance to play a Vana, but I do own a 2 pointer Octave Mandolin made by Roman Zajicek of Rozawood Instruments.

http://www.rozawood.cz/masterworks/workshop.php

It has the nicest, most comfy neck on it of any mandolin family instrument I've ever played.

Roman ainīt too bad either when it comes to building great guitars.
    Olaf

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

Otto, Jiri Lebeda to my knowledge has never built banjos, he is well-known for his mandolin family instruments (some earlier ones made as Stellings) and resonator guitars. And for guitars, Furch (aka Stonebridge in the USA) -- I have one of these, a really nice bluegrass instrument but not just a Martin wannabe. And you forgot Capek mandolins. Wow! quite a lineup.

The Czechs have a real craftsmanship tradition, and also access to some excellent tonewoods.

Roman ainīt too bad either when it comes to building great guitars.
    Yes, I certainly agree. I believe guitars are Roman's main passion. I had the chance to spend a morning with him at the L.A. NAMM show last year. He is an avid, and I mean avid American Folk Music fan. He has forgotten more than I am ever going to know about the multiple genre' that make up our traditional music.

After reading Mr. Graham's write up it seems Miroslav, and his friends have the same passion for the music and it's instruments.

Roman is a disciple of Pavel Janisch, and I believe he plans on staying a small shop with just a couple apprentices helping him with the rough cut stuff. His instruments are usually one-of-a-kind builds and quite masterfully done.

Miroslav DOES speak english. we have had a conversation via Email

For the record, Adrian Minarovic (HoGo) is from Slovakia. Here is a shot of his #7 being played by a fellow whose ability is above the radar:

Maybe he doesn't speak english. maybe we had a translator and i didn't even know it!

The Czech.Republic,along with many areas of central Europe,has a long tradition of building fine instruments,especially those of the Violin family. I believe that the craftsmen employed by Jiri Lebeda in making his instruments,are all Violin makers firstly. It's maybe not so surprising then,that drawing on this legacy of craftsmanship,that we have a great crop of excellent luthiers building instruments for Bluegrass music.The great thing for us is that mostly,these instruments are more affordable than many US made instruments of the same quality.I know one young player in the UK,who owns & plays a Kristufek "A" style & it's a superb instrument by any standard you'd care to apply. Not to tread on Weber's toes,but in some respects,my Lebeda makes my Fern look almost cheap.The neck & body binding is much more refined & less 'plasticy',it's also an awesome instrument tonally & it's playability is superb. I recently spent a couple of hours,bringing my Fern in line with the Lebeda re.playing action & trying to get the same ease of playing,it's not 'quite' there yet,but it's my Lebeda which sets the standard between my 2 Mandolins,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by swampstomper View Post
    Otto, Jiri Lebeda to my knowledge has never built banjos. And you forgot Capek mandolins. Wow! quite a lineup.

The Czechs have a real craftsmanship tradition, and also access to some excellent tonewoods.
    My bad, I swapped out a Lebeda for a Capek. Though I donīt take an Otto for it.

pickinNgrinnin Re: Vana Mandolins

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For the record, Adrian Minarovic (HoGo) is from Slovakia.
    My mistake again. But Iīm not too much into building walls where there should be none. True, Slovakia is a state on its own now. True it was part of Czechoslovakia (Československo; from 1990 Slovak: Česko-Slovensko). It existed from October 1918, when it declared its independence from the Austro-Hungarian Empire, until 1992. In 1993 the Czech and the Slovaks parted ways peacefully. But weīre all Europeans. And guys (girls too?) like HoGo have the great czech/slovak luthier background.

mandomania7923 Re: Vana Mandolins

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Maybe he doesn't speak english. maybe we had a translator and i didn't even know it!
    I wouldnīt bother about it. I just found it interesting, that Bill referred to an interpreter in his report. And my thoughts simply covered the aspects of language, marketing and international business transactions.
    Olaf

I had the opportunity to play three of Miroslav Vana's mandolins when he visited Bill. As Bill stated, the two F5 mandos were brand new and still need some playing-in, but if they develop like the older A model he had, they will be killer. The A was very loud and had a fully woody tone. The workmanship was impeccable. The necks had a nice feel and played beautifully. The finish work was flawless.

Just for the record, Miroslav speaks very little English.

Bob

Hi, it is true that Miroslav Vana speeks a little English by himself, but I do all translations of English correspondence and emails for him. So feel free to write him in English. I will translate it : -)

Btw: Though Miroslavīs general English in a bit weaker, he has already mastered the vocabulary of mandolin building and related topics. Therefore is not a problem to speak with him about tonal differences between instruments, fingerboard dimensions etc.